72 replies to this topic

#21 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Don't forget missing Nieds, concussed by Tie Domi in East Conference semis - really fortunate turn of events for Colorado

Nieds missed a few games but was back for the start of the Conference Finals.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#22 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

It sucks because McKay was a huge part of the powerplay.  His absence can't be understated.  To be fair though, the Devils didn't play well enough in those playoffs to deserve a cup.  It was heartbreaking though because that Devils team was downright dominant.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#23 GA Devil

GA Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

If we have Lemieux (and an injured McKay) we probably beat Colorado

also it would've helped if Brodeur could stop a shot. He was pretty bad in those playoffs

Come now.  The 'Lanche were without Forsberg, don't forget.

Let the celebration begin in the Daneyko household!!!!

#24 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,753 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

The Devils didn't overpay for Lemieux.  They traded Rolston and a 1st for Lemieux, a 1st, and a 2nd.  Yes, this was a trade where the Devils got more draft picks than the other team.  Eh, I guess they probably need another 2nd in that deal.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#25 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

the 1st roud in 97 was fun, especially after 96, but we had really high expectations in 97, 1 round was not enough. I really thought Gilmour was going to put us over the edge, he was a huge disappointment in the playoffs...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#26 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Great thread, took me away to another time and place reading and reminding myself about all those players.

#27 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

That Montreal series was fun. Other than the Marty goal, for some reason this goal always pops into my head from that series... Just a mad scramble and Dean streaks in from the point to nudge the rebound in while Theodore can't quite reach it.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 18 April 2014 - 10:09 AM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#28 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

I still smile every time I see Marty score that goal. He had been trying for years, it was always exciting. But to finally nail it in the playoffs no less, what a moment.

#29 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

I still smile every time I see Marty score that goal. He had been trying for years, it was always exciting. But to finally nail it in the playoffs no less, what a moment.

Against Montreal, his hometown team, no less.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#30 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

This is a great thread idea dr, I hope you continue with these BTW.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#31 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:54 AM

oh the memories :)
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#32 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

I still miss Bob Arsena.

What I remember about the Marty goal...I was also in 223 and watching the video you can see a ton of people left early and missed it, because unusually all our first round games that season were sellouts.  A friend of mine was a few rows below me and I saw him duck out because his girlfriend wanted to leave since she lived down the shore.  To this day he claims to have seen it but I know better.

From Doc's call, he never mentioned the net was empty till Marty actually shot the puck.  The CBC just does a much better job covering the action.

gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#33 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'll throw it in here since I discussed the deal in the opening post. Was amazing how much depth their was in the Devils organization at the time that the Devils could deal Sullivan, Smith and McCauley and not even blink an eye. It was actually a really nice return for the Leafs. McCauley was only drafted in the 4th round, but was becoming a very highly regarded prospect. I've heard things that he was never expected to sign with the Devils though. Is that true?

Sullivan and Smith were starting to become solid regulars in the NHL. That was a really nice deal for Toronto. Hilariously, Quinn and Sullivan never saw eye to eye, and he was waived.after a 20-20-40 season in just 63 games. The Leafs traded Smith for a 2nd round pick. McCauley had major concussion issues that really ruined what could have been a nice deal.

But in the end, you saw there were slightly past their prime players in NJ like Andreychuk and Thomas, but there was Sykora and Elias ready to step in. You could deal a McCauley because you had a Morrison and a Sullivan because of Elias and Sykora They'd hit a 1st round pick out of the park in Gomez the following a year and signed Madden, so you felt okay dealing Morrison (who was playing very well) for Mogilny. 

With Smith it was fine because you had cornerstones in place, and there was White in the minors along with Mitchell and Souray among others that eventually played some games in the NHL. Then they sign Rafalski. 

Lou and Conte used to be damn good at what they did.

Edit: Did Morrison want out? I forget the details on that.

Edited by devilsrule33, 21 April 2014 - 05:29 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#34 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

I'll throw it in here since I discussed the deal in the opening post. Was amazing how much depth their was in the Devils organization at the time that the Devils could deal Sullivan, Smith and McCauley and not even blink an eye. It was actually a really nice return for the Leafs. McCauley was only drafted in the 4th round, but was becoming a very highly regarded prospect. I've heard things that he was never expected to sign with the Devils though. Is that true?

Sullivan and Smith were starting to become solid regulars in the NHL. That was a really nice deal for Toronto. Hilariously, Quinn and the Leafs never saw eye to eye, and he was waived.after a 20-20-40 season in just 63 games. The Leafs traded Smith for a 2nd round pick. McCauley had major concussion issues that really ruined what could have been a nice deal.

But in the end, you saw there were slightly past their prime players in NJ like Andreychuk and Thomas, but there was Sykora and Elias ready to step in. You could deal a McCauley because you had a Morrison and a Sullivan because of Elias and Sykora They'd hit a 1st round pick out of the park in Gomez the following a year and signed Madden, so you felt okay dealing Morrison (who was playing very well) for Mogilny. 

With Smith it was fine because you had cornerstones in place, and there was White in the minors along with Mitchell and Souray among others that eventually played some games in the NHL. Then they sign Rafalski. 

Lou and Conte used to be damn good at what they did.

Edit: Did Morrison want out? I forget the details on that.

mcCauley was pretty highly rated when they dealt him, but yes, there was talk that he wouldn't sign with NJ.

Morrison, if i remember correctly, had salary issues from the get go but that was back when you were an indentured servant and had absolutely no leg to stand on. i don't think the devils were just looking to move him. i mean, he went (with pederson) for mogilny.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,753 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

I imagine Brendan Morrison was none too happy having to play in Albany for almost an entire year.  Sometimes I'm glad I was ignorant back then, because something like Bobby Carpenter playing 15 minutes a game while Morrison crushed the minors would've been unconscionable.

#36 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

I imagine Brendan Morrison was none too happy having to play in Albany for almost an entire year.  Sometimes I'm glad I was ignorant back then, because something like Bobby Carpenter playing 15 minutes a game while Morrison crushed the minors would've been unconscionable.

Maybe it was more amazing that Bobby Carpenter scored 50 goals (and based on his career, it's probably that)...but I think it is amazing that Bobby Carpenter scored 50 goals at one point in his career, and later played 353 games as a Devil from age 30-35 and scored 35 goals. I don't care what the role was..

Edited by devilsrule33, 21 April 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#37 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

didn't morrison hold out at one point too? i remember being really excited to have him in the organization up until that point. he seemed pretty sh!t listed when it was all said and done. but damn, that mogilny deal was huge. loved having him the first time around.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#38 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

didn't morrison hold out at one point too? i remember being really excited to have him in the organization up until that point. he seemed pretty sh!t listed when it was all said and done. but damn, that mogilny deal was huge. loved having him the first time around.

It seemed exciting to have ALEXANDER MOGILNY!, but the Devils went to back-to-back finals with him being nothing more than a passenger.

#39 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,753 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

Maybe it was more amazing that Bobby Carpenter scored 50 goals (and based on his career, it's probably that)...but I think it is amazing that Bobby Carpenter scored 50 goals at one point in his career, and later played 353 games as a Devil from age 30-35 and scored 35 goals. I don't care what the role was..

There's a few other guys who had careers like this, though none are coming to mind.  Joey Juneau wasn't as good for as long as Carpenter but his career went similarly.

It seemed exciting to have ALEXANDER MOGILNY!, but the Devils went to back-to-back finals with him being nothing more than a passenger.

Mogilny was not a passenger in 2001, he had 16 points playing 2nd PP unit and 2nd line.  He also ran awful in both playoff seasons.

#40 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

Almo & Gomez were probably the best 2nd line in the NHL, to go along w/ the A Line which was the best 1st line for a while, still have no idea how we lost in 2001, was the best Devils team i have seen.
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users