Martin St. Louis is a finalist for the Lady Byng

roomtemp

well he's got like 10 pim all season. Off the ice he's whined and cried his way to the Rangers. On the ice, he's a clean player

The Lady Byng standards and I quote "player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability"

I think whining your way out of town from a place that adored you isn't very sportsmanlike

The Lady Byng standards and I quote "player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability"

I think whining your way out of town from a place that adored you isn't very sportsmanlike

What you're forgetting is that he's a NY Ranger, which means anything he did in his career previously pales in comparison to what he has done under the bright lights of Broadway, at the World's Most Famous Arena, because, as everyone knows, there's no place on Earth better than NYC.

• Like 1

What you're forgetting is that he's a NY Ranger, which means anything he did in his career previously pales in comparison to what he has done under the bright lights of Broadway, at the World's Most Famous Arena, because, as everyone knows, there's no place on Earth better than NYC.

'Marty, first of all, congrats on the Lady Byng. Quick question though- How did it feel to be traded to a team that's won one Cup in 74 years? Did you ask to be traded to the Rangers because you just don't care about winning, or was it actually the house in Connecticut? I'll hang up and listen to your answer, thanks for your time'.

I am sure St.Louis is happy to be in an organization that will probably last more than 4 playoff games. Disrespecting St.Louis will be Tampa's downfall when they don't make the playoffs then next several years.

Tampa will be fine. Drouin will be on the team next year. Every indication is that he's the real deal and will hit the ground running. Some said he was the best player in the draft last year, ahead of MacKinnon and Jones. They may re-sign Callahan. And then they have Vasilevski who will be ready in another year or two. He's tearing up the KHL as a 19 year old.

You cannot make a projection based on one playoff series, no matter how poorly a team performs in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'Marty, first of all, congrats on the Lady Byng. Quick question though- How did it feel to be traded to a team that's won one Cup in 74 years? Did you ask to be traded to the Rangers because you just don't care about winning, or was it actually the house in Connecticut? I'll hang up and listen to your answer, thanks for your time'.

Thanks for this. I burst out laughing and spit all over my computer screen. As a short hockey player myself, St. Louis was a favorite of mine. Now I am on the fence about him. I wouldn't not like him just because he is a Rag now or even if he signed elsewhere in the offseason, but to cry his way out at the deadline with his team in a playoff position was pretty sh!tty. This is especially true since he was their captain and was carrying the team at that time with Stamkos out. Just kind of sh!tty and disloyal to the team and fans when it had nothing to do with them and everything to do with Yzerman. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

Thanks for this. I burst out laughing and spit all over my computer screen. As a short hockey player myself, St. Louis was a favorite of mine. Now I am on the fence about him. I wouldn't not like him just because he is a Rag now or even if he signed elsewhere in the offseason, but to cry his way out at the deadline with his team in a playoff position was pretty sh!tty. This is especially true since he was their captain and was carrying the team at that time with Stamkos out. Just kind of sh!tty and disloyal to the team and fans when they had nothing to do with them and everything to do with Yzerman.

I'm with ya- I'm 5'5", played hockey for a number of years, and now have had to watch two of my favorite hockey role models (Theo Fleury and St. Louis) play for that hideous franchise, ruining any like or respect I had for them. And the way St. Louis asked out of a place he'd been for so long, a franchise he was captain of, in the middle of a playoff race, all because Yzerman didn't ORIGINALLY pick him for Team Canada, shows that not only is he a physical midget, but a mental one as well.

Thanks for this. I burst out laughing and spit all over my computer screen. As a short hockey player myself, St. Louis was a favorite of mine. Now I am on the fence about him. I wouldn't not like him just because he is a Rag now or even if he signed elsewhere in the offseason, but to cry his way out at the deadline with his team in a playoff position was pretty sh!tty. This is especially true since he was their captain and was carrying the team at that time with Stamkos out. Just kind of sh!tty and disloyal to the team and fans when they had nothing to do with them and everything to do with Yzerman. 

Agree 100%. Been a long-time fan of his, but the way in which he left Tampa left a super bitter taste in my mouth. Really thought he was better than that. Much more scummy than anything Parise or Clarkson did to us (and we loooove to criticize them).

Tampa will be fine. Drouin will be on the team next year. Every indication is that he's the real deal and will hit the ground running. Some said he was the best player in the draft last year, ahead of MacKinnon and Jones. They may re-sign Callahan. And then they have Vasilevski who will be ready in another year or two. He's tearing up the KHL as a 19 year old.

You cannot make a projection based on one playoff series, no matter how poorly a team performs in it.

agreed, if for no other reason than the division is pretty weak, outside of boston and maybe Montreal every other team has question marks. Tampa is solid all around especially if bishop is the real deal.

I wonder if something else happened between St. Louis and Yzerman either before or after the initial Olympic snub.

If it had you have to figure it would have come out by now, especially from the MSL camp, who can't like how he's being portrayed as the villain in this.

The only thing I could possibly think of is that maybe St. Louis was sore about Vinny getting unceremoniously dumped.  But without any proof you pretty much have to take it at face value that St. Louis was a ***** about being left off the Olympic team twice (the first time Yzerman wasn't the Bolts GM but he was picking for Canada).

If it had you have to figure it would have come out by now, especially from the MSL camp, who can't like how he's being portrayed as the villain in this.

The only thing I could possibly think of is that maybe St. Louis was sore about Vinny getting unceremoniously dumped. But without any proof you pretty much have to take it at face value that St. Louis was a ***** about being left off the Olympic team twice (the first time Yzerman wasn't the Bolts GM but he was picking for Canada).

In addition to the intial snub, St. Louis was pissed off about the way he was utilized by Team Canada as well. So I'm sure that also played into it. Still, he's a little bitch.

The thing is, I can understand him being pissed about it -- really really pissed. But unless he confronted Yzerman about it and Yzerman disrespected him further, he should've waited till the off-season to ask to be traded, IMO.

In addition to the intial snub, St. Louis was pissed off about the way he was utilized by Team Canada as well. So I'm sure that also played into it. Still, he's a little bitch.

Well he should take that out on Babcock...unless he's paranoid enough to believe that Yzerman asked the staff not to use him for whatever reason.

I wasn't basing on their playoff performance, but the fact they are going to be missing their team leader and the player who helped into making Stamkos a star.   You just can't replace someone of St. Louis caliber.    There will be more pressure on the younger kids to make up St. Louis production and that is unfair to them.   I don't see Tampa in the playoff for at least two more years.

What you're forgetting is that he's a NY Ranger, which means anything he did in his career previously pales in comparison to what he has done under the bright lights of Broadway, at the World's Most Famous Arena, because, as everyone knows, there's no place on Earth better than NYC.

the-new-yorker-poster_1.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if something else happened between St. Louis and Yzerman either before or after the initial Olympic snub.

I've been wondering this too. You want to believe a player wouldn't be so low as to abandon a team just because his GM didn't name him to the Olympic roster. Then again, seeing as to where he requested to be traded, it's clear he's a piece of sh!t.