54 replies to this topic

#21 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Well, yeah but there are obviously varying levels of getting overpaid.

I don't think Clarkson is a good comparison to Stastny because he "grit" and "work ethic" that GMs seem to love. Obviously PS is 10x the player Clarkson is and will be getting paid probably north of 7 mill AAV. I think Bettman said the cap will be somewhere around 69-70 million, with a lot of $ coming off the books with Brodeur and hopefully one of Salvador and Volchenkov, Devils can easily use that money to throw at Stastny. I wouldn't mind if Lou gave him 7/55.

I get the feeling Stastny wants to stay in Colorado. They've got a great future ahead of them, so I'm sure he wants to be a part of it. Although, I'm not sure why he wouldn't have signed an extension by now. Also, he says he'd be willing to give the Avs a discount: http://www.denverpos...nt-avs-discount

If the Devils are going to go for someone with high end talent, it's going to have to be Vanek or Gaborik.

#22 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

I get the feeling Stastny wants to stay in Colorado. They've got a great future ahead of them, so I'm sure he wants to be a part of it. Although, I'm not sure why he wouldn't have signed an extension by now. Also, he says he'd be willing to give the Avs a discount: http://www.denverpos...nt-avs-discount

If the Devils are going to go for someone with high end talent, it's going to have to be Vanek or Gaborik.

The problem is that both Landeskog and Duchene's new deals kick in next year, plus they will have to pay McKinnon in 2 years, plus O'Reilly is RFA this summer. Colorado has some big money to hand out soon, and Stastny may be the odd man out.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#23 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

The problem is that both Landeskog and Duchene's new deals kick in next year, plus they will have to pay McKinnon in 2 years, plus O'Reilly is RFA this summer. Colorado has some big money to hand out soon, and Stastny may be the odd man out.

Erik Johnson will also need a new deal.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#24 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

Erik Johnson and Tyson Barrie will need new deals. Barrie is RFA coming off 715K season. He's in for a big raise coming off a near 40pt D.

ROR needs one a new deal. Stastny needs one. If McKinnon gets even better, he's looking at 7-8M in 2 years.

They have a lot of centers, even though guys liek ROR are playing on the wing.

If they want to keep Statsny and can, perhaps ROR becomes expendable for young D/wingers and perhaps a Larsson package could get things done. You never know.

#25 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

Just to echo what Devil Dan 56 said, it was pretty much decided before the deadline that they wouldn't trade Stastny and they'd bank on keeping him for the playoff run. But financially, I think they've already counted him as the odd man out. There's no realistic way they keep their superstar kid lines intact if they sign Stastny. If they sign him, one of their generational kid stars will be out at some point when their deals are up or via trade. Having Stastny leave was the lesser of two evils. In fact, re-signing him would be a big mistake on their part, I hope Sakic's not that dumb.

Edited by DJ Eco, 23 April 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,554 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

Someone has to go, because that team is due for a big correction next year - they're a disaster defensively.  They have no depth there at all.  O'Reilly needs to be qualified at $6.5M per - that might be the guy who goes.  I'd obviously rather deal O'Reilly (even though he won't likely return his true value because of that high QO unless that team can talk to him about a long-term deal beforehand) and re-sign Stastny, but yeah, they are going to get slaughtered by someone out West and then perhaps they'll see.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#27 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Don't forget the free agent pool is thin this year (as it usually is) and big budget teams like Toronto are looking for a  #1 center too. I'm guessing they go all in on Stastny if he's available. Let's hope his dad really liked it here.

#28 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Don't forget the free agent pool is thin this year (as it usually is) and big budget teams like Toronto are looking for a #1 center too. I'm guessing they go all in on Stastny if he's available. Let's hope his dad really liked it here.

Toronto doesn't have the cap space.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#29 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

I've said this before in other threads, but I'd really like the Devils to go after Moulson. I really do think he'd fit in well here.

I would also like Moulson, so he can stop freaking scoring on us.

Put food on my family

#30 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

Would Larsson and a pick be suitable for O'Reily?

#31 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

Toronto doesn't have the cap space.

According to capgeek they'll have around 22 million to spend on the off season with 11 spots to fill.

http://capgeek.com/mapleleafs

We look to have around 20 million with 8 spots to fill.

http://capgeek.com/devils

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 23 April 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#32 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

This team needs a whole first line. Our Jagr-Zajac-XYZ line was good but has to be considered one of the weakest in the NHL. We don't know if Jagr will be back. What will the first line look like after that? I think this team desperately needs Vanek or find a way to acquire an elite goal scorer.

#33 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

If he was signed, maybe. Just to trade for ROR's rights, I wouldn't give up on Larsson. I'd rather just throw a pick at Col for that, not sure what kind of pick would be needed to do that though. I don't have the memory of some on this board so maybe someone could remind us what has been traded for a player's rights in the past few seasons.

#34 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

After his last contact holdout with Colorado (that got pretty ugly IIRC) I don't know if he's someone I'd even want to pursue.

Larsson is still controlled for a few years yet.. Not sure about the UFA status of ROR but if he's set to go unrestricted anytime soon I'd be wary.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#35 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

No disrespect to B. Gionta, but no thanks. He's going to want to finish out his career wherever he goes. Patty will be 38 next year. We need to start getting some youth here. Boucher may need another year of seasoning as well as Matteau. Aside from Sislo (hopefully 2nd/3rd liner) will prove decent.

We have some decent D men we might could dangle. 

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#36 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Statsny + Vrbata = Profit

believe-zubrus.jpg

#37 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

I am a Brian Gionta fan. I've long felt that Brent Sutter misused him toward the end of Brian's tenure with the Devs. And now, every time I watch a Canadiens playoff game and see them having success with him wearing the "C," I feel proud knowing the Devils helped make him the leader he is.

That being said, because of his age, I'm not longing to bring him back, although it wouldn't bother me one bit if he did return.

I agree that we need young scorers much more so than a player of his type.

#38 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,554 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

According to capgeek they'll have around 22 million to spend on the off season with 11 spots to fill.

http://capgeek.com/mapleleafs

We look to have around 20 million with 8 spots to fill.

http://capgeek.com/devils

All of Toronto's UFAs are critical pieces.  They don't have any forward depth in the minors so if those forward UFAs leave, Toronto will have to replace them with something.  Then next year they will have to give Bernier a large contract as well as Nazem Kadri.  It doesn't look like Toronto can be the highest bidder even if it looks like they have lots of room.

The Devils have Brodeur who they can replace for 1/4th the cost and Zidlicky who they can replace internally to some degree, saving a fair bit of money.  Toronto doesn't really have something like that.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#39 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

I say we trade for Malkin!

I doubt Moulson would be obtainable. Something tells me either A) Lou doesn't think he's a Devils type player or B) Moulson has no interest in coming here. Would be great to get a bona fide first liner, but I'm 98% sure we'll get mostly roster fillers and Brian Gionta this off-season.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#40 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

Maybe I am wrong but doesn't Moulson excel only when he has a top-flight center with him?  While Zajac is very good I do not think he would get the same production out of him as he did with Tavares.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users