54 replies to this topic

#41 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

Maybe I am wrong but doesn't Moulson excel only when he has a top-flight center with him?  While Zajac is very good I do not think he would get the same production out of him as he did with Tavares.

+1.  I just have a feeling that Vrbata will be our biggest pickup this offseason.  I like Stastny, but I don't see him landing here.

Posted Image

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,609 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Vrbata is not a panacea.  He's a smarter Clarkson.  Shoots from everywhere type.  Sure, if he goes off he can score you 30, but if he has a bad year he can score 15 and look just like Michael Ryder doing it.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

I wonder if Kane (Evander) can't be had* from Winnipeg for Gelinas + Boucher/Matteau. 

* remember this is the GM who thinks Pavelec is a good goalie

Edited by Marshall, 24 April 2014 - 12:59 PM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#44 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

Moulson had 11 goals (29 points) in 44 games this year with Buffalo. Not great, but not terrible considering Buffalo's offence was worse than ours. Not sure who was centering him, but you can do worse than Zajac and Jagr. A goal scorer might actually make them even better.

I haven't seen Vrbata play much. His numbers are good, but as others point out that doesn't always tell the whole story.

Posted Image

#45 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,609 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

I wonder if Kane (Evander) can't be had* from Winnipeg for Gelinas + Boucher/Matteau. 

Winnipeg has plenty of defense.  They're moving Byfuglien to forward because they think they have so much D.  I don't see it.

#46 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

Moulson had 11 goals (29 points) in 44 games this year with Buffalo. Not great, but not terrible considering Buffalo's offence was worse than ours. Not sure who was centering him, but you can do worse than Zajac and Jagr. A goal scorer might actually make them even better.

I haven't seen Vrbata play much. His numbers are good, but as others point out that doesn't always tell the whole story.

He had 23g/28a in 75 games. Why exclude them?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#47 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,452 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

No interest in Gionta, I want to get younger not older....

I think I heard Kane might be released if they cannot trade him, attitude issues are the rumor??

I love Kane and would be excited to get him hear...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#48 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

I think I heard Kane might be released if they cannot trade him, attitude issues are the rumor??

yeah its been talked about a lot here. I'd love him here if he can behave

www.SterioDesign.com

#49 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

A player of Kane's level won't be released.

The CBA doesn't allow releases like in football. He'd have to be bought out.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 24 April 2014 - 06:03 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#50 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

Moulson is going to get overpaid. He's essentially a Ryder with some better play off the puck and better skating. But his shot isn't as good.

I don't see him as a great fit here or for value.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#51 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Moulson is going to get overpaid. He's essentially a Ryder with some better play off the puck and better skating. But his shot isn't as good.

I don't see him as a great fit here or for value.

Yeah I'd be wary of him to be honest. What has he done without being JT's winger

#52 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

Yeah I'd be wary of him to be honest. What has he done without being JT's winger

He's been a scorer at every level of hockey he's ever played at. He was a key piece of the Cornell Big Red's ECAC championships both in 2003 and 2005. When he got called up for his cups of coffee in LA he was scoring around a point a game in the AHL. Then he came to the Islanders and had 3 straight 30+ goal seasons. Even with a guy like Tavares, you can't be a stiff. He came in and put up 30 goals his very first full season and followed it up with no sophomore slump, just two more straight seasons of 30+ goals. Tell me, who on the Islanders scored 30 goals this season? No one. If it was all about playing with Tavares, some other stiff would've taken his place and become an instant 30 goal scorer.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#53 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

He's been a scorer at every level of hockey he's ever played at. He was a key piece of the Cornell Big Red's ECAC championships both in 2003 and 2005. When he got called up for his cups of coffee in LA he was scoring around a point a game in the AHL. Then he came to the Islanders and had 3 straight 30+ goal seasons. Even with a guy like Tavares, you can't be a stiff. He came in and put up 30 goals his very first full season and followed it up with no sophomore slump, just two more straight seasons of 30+ goals. Tell me, who on the Islanders scored 30 goals this season? No one. If it was all about playing with Tavares, some other stiff would've taken his place and become an instant 30 goal scorer.

This is very fair. And I would not compare him to Ryder. If Ryder doesn't score, he is a negative to your team. He has no speed, can't play decent defense, kills a breakout. He has his shot. That's it and it better go in or else.

Moulson can score sure, but if he's not, he has speed, can get in on the forecheck, PK, and disrupt the opponents with his speed.

I think he's gonna get a 5/30 deal and I don't love that at all but I don think he's a stiff

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#54 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,609 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

He needs someone to get him the puck, and the Devils don't really have that.  We've been through this with Ryder, they don't need another player like this, unless they can get the right guys to surround him.  He scores but does not do much else and I don't expect him to be a 30 goal scorer going forward unless he ends up in the right situation.

Thomas Vanek scored 17 goals in 47 games for the Islanders, which is a 29.6 goal pace, and Okposo was on a 30 goal pace as well but got hurt.

sundstrom:  Moulson is not fast, he's not a forechecker.

Edited by Triumph, 24 April 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#55 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

He needs someone to get him the puck, and the Devils don't really have that.  We've been through this with Ryder, they don't need another player like this, unless they can get the right guys to surround him.  He scores but does not do much else and I don't expect him to be a 30 goal scorer going forward unless he ends up in the right situation.

Thomas Vanek scored 17 goals in 47 games for the Islanders, which is a 29.6 goal pace, and Okposo was on a 30 goal pace as well but got hurt.

sundstrom:  Moulson is not fast, he's not a forechecker.

Vanek is Vanek. He's not exactly a stiff. Okposo is definitely a better example. Nobody's going to say Vanek is only scoring because of Tavares. Okposo on the other hand could very well be reaping that benefit, although he's always been a player who has been verging on a breakout but falls just short. Maybe he's finally hitting that power-forward stride that always takes that extra couple of years.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users