951 replies to this topic

#241 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

Seeing the rangers make the cup makes me more upset about not making the playoffs. The east was terribly mediocre this year and the rangers made the most of their breaks. The only thing separating the devils and a 65 game season from Schneider from the rangers were a couple of goals

Don't bother thinking of these things. The Bruins were a great team that got upset somehow, and I am not sure how you are racing through different scenarios in your head, but if you were thinking, 'Damn, NJ could have beat Montreal, for sure'...I'm not so sure of that, and the Devils getting in creates a different time continuum where the Bruins don't get eliminated and beat the sh!t out of everyone, Price doesn't get hurt, and the Pens finish off the Rangers.

NJ could have had some good things going for them, but when a team doesn't make the playoffs...and they weren't that close either, I wouldn't even bother worrying what they could have done in the playoffs.

Edited by devilsrule33, 02 June 2014 - 12:33 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#242 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Don't bother thinking of these things. The Bruins were a great team that got upset somehow, and I am not sure how you are racing through different scenarios in your head, but if you were thinking, 'Damn, NJ could have beat Montreal, for sure'...I'm not so sure of that, and the Devils getting in creates a different time continuum where the Bruins don't get eliminated and beat the sh!t out of everyone, Price doesn't get hurt, and the Pens finish off the Rangers.

NJ could have had some good things going for them, but when a team doesn't make the playoffs...and they weren't that close either, I wouldn't even bother worrying what they could have done in the playoffs.

The Devils style of hockey fits the playoffs to a T. 2 goals a game against, a good Corsi number, top 10 special team units. If they could've squeezed a couple more goals out, played Brodeur significantly less, and won a couple shoot outs, I have little reason to believe the Devils couldn't be top in the East

#243 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

I wonder if the Devils have enough to put together an offer for Jason Spezza. Dredger is saying Ottawa wants a High draft pick, NHL player, and a prospect. I'd rather Spezza than Thorton or Stastny.

815631765.gif

#244 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

I wonder if the Devils have enough to put together an offer for Jason Spezza. Dredger is saying Ottawa wants a High draft pick, NHL player, and a prospect. I'd rather Spezza than Thorton or Stastny.

Spezza gets paid a ton! As does JT, and we'd pay dearly to get them.   Stastny, wouldn't cost anything but his salary (which will be handsome) but not much more than Speza/thornton.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#245 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

Spezza has a lot more question marks than either Thornton or Stastny.  I'd pass, the Devils cannot be giving up their 1st round pick this year, and I'm not sure I would give up a 1st round pick for Spezza.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#246 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

Urbom has agreed to join Severstal of the KHL.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#247 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

What?! But he's NJ's 8th best prospect!  This is horrible

#248 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

What?! But he's NJ's 8th best prospect!  This is horrible

Nuh-uh, he's the best prospect!  #postsfrom2011

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#249 maniacdevsdude

maniacdevsdude

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

There's only 5 things you need to remember:

1. We are only a few players away from being back to contending for the Cup, so stop panicking.

2. Schneider will sign with us, and if Marty stays here we have a HOF goalie as a backup for the playoffs. Not many teams can boast that.

3. If Brian Gionta signs with us, Stephen will pick up his game (or his older bro will kick his arse)

4. Lou is the best GM in hockey and will have a plan to fix this team. So please stop trashing the man.  It's disrespectful.

5. Rangers Suck!

:rock:   GO DEVILS

#250 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

Lou blew it again!!!! :giggle:

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#251 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

It's kind of a shame he couldn't figure it out, with his size, he'd be really tough to play against and real asset.  In a perfect world, we could have gotten draft picks for him through trade, but I think it was mentioned before that he didn't have that much value.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#252 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

There's only 5 things you need to remember:

1. We are only a few players away from being back to contending for the Cup, so stop panicking.

2. Schneider will sign with us, and if Marty stays here we have a HOF goalie as a backup for the playoffs. Not many teams can boast that.

3. If Brian Gionta signs with us, Stephen will pick up his game (or his older bro will kick his arse)

4. Lou is the best GM in hockey and will have a plan to fix this team. So please stop trashing the man.  It's disrespectful.

5. Rangers Suck!

:rock:   GO DEVILS

Easy my friend, put the Kool-aid down for a second.  This entire post is very unrealistic. Brian Gionta is not going make Stephen a better hockey player.  There is no guarantee that Schneider is going to come back although I do think its very likely.  It's not everyday that a starting goaltending position is handed to you on a silver platter.  There's only 30 available positions and I don't think Schneider is an idiot. 

@#4 - Lou is good, but he's not perfect.  Don't tell other fans that they're not allowed to have their own opinions.

#253 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

The Devils weren't getting anything for Urbom.  At the point at which they might've, Urbom was worth more to them than he was in trade, so dealing him would've been foolish.  When his value dipped because he failed to make any progress, he was no longer worth very much at all.

#254 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,323 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

http://www.nj.com/de...t_flyout_sports

Schneider and Devils talking extension.

There have been discussions between Cory Schneider and the Devils regarding a contract extension beyond next season, but nothing will be done until there are reasonable assurances that he will be the team’s No. 1 goalie by playing about 60 games per season.

Schneider told The Star-Ledger a decision on a potential extension does not hinge on whether Martin Brodeur returns to the Devils next season, simply on whether he is viewed as the club’s long-term No. 1.

“Not necessarily. That’s out of my control, but that’s part of the discussions,” Schneider said. “Not just him, per se, but anybody who they would want to bring in or call up. It’s a discussion about if they want me to be the guy going forward, we have to figure out that part of it.

The money will sort itself out but what is clear is that he wants the starting gig. I don't see any reason why they won't give it to him. That signal needs to come from not re-signing Marty and perhaps signing an obviously made-for-backup-role goalie.

Edited by sundstrom, 06 June 2014 - 02:31 PM.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#255 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

Good news, sounds like Schneider will get signed up eventually.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#256 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

Glad to see Schneider forcing the issue.  We can't see another 50/50 split of games next year when one guys play was significantly better.  They also can't afford all the drama that comes with Brodeur anymore.  Time to move on from the Marty era for good and get Schneider locked down. 

#257 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,737 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

The money will sort itself out but what is clear is that he wants the starting gig. I don't see any reason why they won't give it to him. That signal needs to come from not re-signing Marty and perhaps signing an obviously made-for-backup-role goalie.

Good stuff. Hopefully it will be made explicitly clear to Cory that he's the guy going forward. Get it done Lou.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#258 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Schneider told The Star-Ledger a decision on a potential extension does not hinge on whether Martin Brodeur returns to the Devils next season, simply on whether he is viewed as the club’s long-term No. 1.

See the bolded. 

“As far as going forward, if I can start playing 60 games next year and go from there, it will be a great spot. You sit back and realize there are only 30 starting positions in the league. If you can have one of them, that’s a good place to be. I’m looking to the future and what’s going to happen next season and behind that.” - Schneider

As for this, I've been saying this about the Schneider discussion since day one.  Schneider isn't stupid and he understands how scarce the starting jobs are in the league.  I predict a deal to be done before the summer is over, hopefully at no more than 7.5million/yr and preferably 5-7 years. 

Edited by RizzMB30, 06 June 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#259 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

I was never too worried about getting Cory signed, goaltenders care more about playing time than playing for a contender like skaters do, just see Halak signing on the Island recently, so I always felt as long as we make it clear to Cory that he'll be the guy here for the next 7-10 years, we won't have a problem signing this guy to an extension, especially after the soap opera back in Vancouver.

25smul5.png

#260 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

He can say what he wants to (Cory's always been a class act in interviews, I respect that) but you can't tell me the Devils finally saying goodbye to Marty wouldn't be something Cory is looking for.

Because you know Marty's getting at least 20-30 games next year if he comes back.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users