951 replies to this topic

#261 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

Good news, sounds like Schneider will get signed up eventually.

Hard not to like him based on the quotes we've seen him give from time to time.  And I can't blame him for wanting some guarantees, as to what his role is going to be.  We don't know for sure what kind of a 60+ start goalie he'll be, but what we do know is that he's done everything he possibly can to show that he deserves a bona-fide chance to prove that he can flourish as such.  The guy is a very good puck-stopper and has been for his entire NHL career to date.  At the very least, if he's either in a minor funk, or the other guy has a good game or two, Cory should at least have some reassurance that PDB isn't going to go running to the "hot hand" (especially when the "hot hand" is clearly a bottom-half goalie most of the time).   

Anyway, until Cory is actually signed (or MAF re-signs with Pittsburgh), I'll still wonder about Cory going there and MAF coming here (even if it seems like a longshot, which it is) for the 2015-2016. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#262 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

Look it's very simple, Brodeur can't be back here.  They can give all the reassurances they want to Cory - with what Pete DeBoer just said on the radio, Brodeur cannot be back.  It should not happen.  It shouldn't happen based on everything Brodeur told the press in February and March during his Trail of Tears series of press conferences.  And it shouldn't happen based on what Cory just told Chere.  This shouldn't even be a discussion that Cory Schneider should have to have with his general manager.

Cory says he'd liked to have had 50-75 more games - haha, that's nuts.  Schneider should've started 300 games by now.  The Devils and Canucks have cost him a shot at a Hall of Fame career.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#263 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

See the bolded.

Well, I mean, he's GOTTA say that... Can't say in an interview that you want to re-sign with the Devils and that Martin Brodeur retiring is the last remaining variable haha.. Cory's a professional.

#264 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

According to Insider Trading, the TSN segment, Brodeur told McKenzie (or LeBrun, I forget who) that he is headed to July 1 with the intention of signing elsewhere.

#265 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

According to Insider Trading, the TSN segment, Brodeur told McKenzie (or LeBrun, I forget who) that he is headed to July 1 with the intention of signing elsewhere.

Good to hear, I'd rather just have him retire but no way shape or form should he be on this squad.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#266 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

Not really new news though. Brodeur was ready to go elsewhere after he told the media that Cory would be starting very early in the year. The question becomes would he rather retire than be a backup one more year in NJ.

Edited by devilsrule33, 06 June 2014 - 05:51 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#267 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

Look it's very simple, Brodeur can't be back here. They can give all the reassurances they want to Cory - with what Pete DeBoer just said on the radio, Brodeur cannot be back. It should not happen. It shouldn't happen based on everything Brodeur told the press in February and March during his Trail of Tears series of press conferences. And it shouldn't happen based on what Cory just told Chere. This shouldn't even be a discussion that Cory Schneider should have to have with his general manager.

Cory says he'd liked to have had 50-75 more games - haha, that's nuts. Schneider should've started 300 games by now. The Devils and Canucks have cost him a shot at a Hall of Fame career.

Err, all indications are that the Devils cost Schneider something like 15 to 20 starts, in the grand scheme of things. He was unfortunate to be playing behind a borderline hall of famer in Vancouver, when that goalie was not 42 years old and past his prime like Marty this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#268 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,307 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

http://m.espn.go.com...685213&page=2"}
"I've had a lot of good conversations with the Devils, but I'm not inclined at going back at this point," said Brodeur, whose contract expires June 30. "I just feel that with Schneids (goalie Corey Schneider) the organization has to move on. Me being around might be tough a little bit for them. I don't completely put it out of the question (returning to New Jersey) but I don't want to mess up the cards for the Devils.

"At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where I go next, I'm always going to be a Devil. I'm always going to come back to the organization. But I want to play one more year. So I'll see what's out there."
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#269 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,307 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

"I look at what happened in the playoffs with certain goalies and certain teams, I wish I could have been there for them," chuckled Brodeur.
You KNOW he's talking about Montreal there.

#270 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

"I look at what happened in the playoffs with certain goalies and certain teams, I wish I could have been there for them," chuckled Brodeur.
You KNOW he's talking about Montreal there.

I was thinking Pitt or Minny. Maybe even Chicago with how bad Crawford was. I don't think MTL with Price was/is in his thoughts.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#271 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,307 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

I was thinking Pitt or Minny. Maybe even Chicago with how bad Crawford was. I don't think MTL with Price was/is in his thoughts.

Maybe... Although he might've been thinking to himself how cool it might've been for him to face the Rags in the playoffs one more time, in a Habs uniform of all the crazy things, once Price went down. But yeah, he could've meant a couple different teams I guess.

#272 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

You know Schneider will be here long term by this line:

“As a Devil it’s not great to see the Rangers playing in the Final, but it’s good to see Alain back in the Final. I think he’s a great coach,” said Schneider, who played for Vigneault in Vancouver.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#273 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

things are going to get really interesting in the next month
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#274 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,307 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

You know Schneider will be here long term by this line:

“As a Devil it’s not great to see the Rangers playing in the Final, but it’s good to see Alain back in the Final. I think he’s a great coach,” said Schneider, who played for Vigneault in Vancouver.

I missed that one, where did he say that? Classy of him to show his former coach some love.

#275 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

I missed that one, where did he say that? Classy of him to show his former coach some love.

A ledger article. In my ipad so could t post the link.

Posted Image

#276 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

Checking out the TSN Insiders this evening, they mention a lot of teams have interest in a 21 year-old kid undrafted Czech, Jiri Sekac who had 28 points in 47 games for Praha in KHL as a 21 year old. He is from Kladno, Jaromir did play with him at the WC this year - I was wondering if anyone had seen the kid play on any level.

If this kid has an offensive potential, you'd think the Devils could have a leg up if they are interested given all of our Czechs.

#277 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

Checking out the TSN Insiders this evening, they mention a lot of teams have interest in a 21 year-old kid undrafted Czech, Jiri Sekac who had 28 points in 47 games for Praha in KHL as a 21 year old. He is from Kladno, Jaromir did play with him at the WC this year - I was wondering if anyone had seen the kid play on any level.

If this kid has an offensive potential, you'd think the Devils could have a leg up if they are interested given all of our Czechs.

The stats paint the picture of an AHL player, I don't really see what would get GMs excited about this guy. Maybe he's a 4th line type?  His numbers don't suggest he is a top 9 forward at the NHL level.

#278 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:33 AM

what would be a realistic contract for schneider?

#279 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:02 AM

what would be a realistic contract for schneider?

I wouldn't pay him more than 6-8 years at 7-7.5 million/year.  He can take a hike if he wants more than that.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#280 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:11 AM

The stats paint the picture of an AHL player, I don't really see what would get GMs excited about this guy. Maybe he's a 4th line type? His numbers don't suggest he is a top 9 forward at the NHL level.

If you want someone to compare him to, Hertl as an 18 year old during the lockout season had 30 points in 46 games in the Czech league. Also during the lockout season, bona fide NHLers appear to be at least point a game players (Zidlicky was one). Even past their prime players like Radek Bonk were too.

He basically seems like Harry Pesonen.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users