951 replies to this topic

#321 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

I was messing around on CapGeek and I discovered that it's going to be nigh impossible to sign Paul Stasny, Fayne, and a capable backup as long as Zubrus, Ryder, or Brunner, and Ruutu are in the lineup.  If Stasny is signed at a 7m/year deal and Mark Fayne brought back at 2.3/year, which likely won't be enough for Fayne.  Even if the Devils use their compliance buyout on Volchenkov, I think the cap might become a problem if Stasny is signed here.

realistically we are not going to get stastny any way.. there is no way he would choose to come here over some of the other teams that im sure will be an option to him, and on top of that im sure lou will not be a competitor in the bidding war that will go down for him..
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#322 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

realistically we are not going to get stastny any way.. there is no way he would choose to come here over some of the other teams that im sure will be an option to him, and on top of that im sure lou will not be a competitor in the bidding war that will go down for him..

honestly right now I think there's a better chance that kovalchuk is in a devils sweater next year than stastny... And theres like less than 1% chance that is happening.

#323 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

I know its very much a long shot, but every other Devils fan is hoping for it.  I honestly don't care either way if he's here. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#324 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

i mean i would like to see him on the team i think we would be a great addition but we never get big money ufa's like that. Once again we will most likely do nothing overly exciting this off season
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#325 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

i mean i would like to see him on the team i think we would be a great addition but we never get big money ufa's like that. Once again we will most likely do nothing overly exciting this off season

I don't know about that, I agree we likely won't sign any big free agents, as that is Lou's way, but who thought we would sign Jaromir Jagr at the end of the last offseason?

#326 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,542 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

The Devils traded for Cory Schneider last off-season and signed Jaromir Jagr.  The off-season before, they didn't do much, but the owner was busy sneaking up on and stealing street musicians' guitar cases + the loose change and small bills within.  The off-season before that, they did very little, but they didn't have to do anything.  Off-season before that, they dealt for Jason Arnott, signed 2 UFA D, and signed Ilya Kovalchuk.  Anyway NJ does plenty of exciting things in the offseason, they just haven't had a lot to trade with the last few years.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#327 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Pretty much what Tri says. Not only did they trade and sign JJ, they got Ryder, Brunner, Clowe. I mean come on now. Lou is always active, he just goes about it quietly.

#328 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

The Devils traded for Cory Schneider last off-season and signed Jaromir Jagr.  The off-season before, they didn't do much, but the owner was busy sneaking up on and stealing street musicians' guitar cases + the loose change and small bills within.  The off-season before that, they did very little, but they didn't have to do anything.  Off-season before that, they dealt for Jason Arnott, signed 2 UFA D, and signed Ilya Kovalchuk.  Anyway NJ does plenty of exciting things in the offseason, they just haven't had a lot to trade with the last few years.

Tell 'Em Steve-Dave!

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#329 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:11 AM

Where do we think Ryan Kesler wants to/will go?  I'd much rather have a Kesler than Spezza.  Unlikely the Devils do it, but maybe the Canucks are backed into a corner a little bit here.  Kesler has asked for a trade and submitted his 6 teams that he would goto.  That's not a lot of flexibility.  I would imagine, NYR, Boston, Boston, maybe Tampa?  It's rumored that Anaheim and Philly are on his list.  God I hope he doesn't end up in Philly.

#330 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

FWIW, Josefson's agent is negotiating with NJ: http://www.hockeysve..._medium=twitter

"Lamoriello also has to make a decision regarding Swedish center Jacob Josefson's future. The 23-year-old only played 27 NHL games for the Devils the past season, but Martin Nilsson at Josefson's agency Alterno Management says to hockeysverige.se that discussions are being held between the parties"

I suppose this is, still, just par for the course regarding players w/o contracts.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#331 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

Isn't the cap supposed to go up a little this year?

#332 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

FWIW, Josefson's agent is negotiating with NJ: http://www.hockeysve..._medium=twitter

"Lamoriello also has to make a decision regarding Swedish center Jacob Josefson's future. The 23-year-old only played 27 NHL games for the Devils the past season, but Martin Nilsson at Josefson's agency Alterno Management says to hockeysverige.se that discussions are being held between the parties"

I suppose this is, still, just par for the course regarding players w/o contracts.

I hope he's back and I hope he's given a bigger role on this team.  I think he'll thrive with more ice-time and especially so if he's given ice-time with Patik Elias or Jaromir Jagr.

#333 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,363 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

Pretty much what Tri says. Not only did they trade and sign JJ, they got Ryder, Brunner, Clowe. I mean come on now. Lou is always active, he just goes about it quietly.

Olesz too.  They also gave Boucher a shot to stick around.  Maybe it didn't all work out, but it definitely wasn't for lack of trying on Lou's part.  Also would've helped if Kovy made up his mind during the last week of June and not on July 12. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 June 2014 - 02:18 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#334 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,542 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

Olesz too.  They also gave Boucher a shot to stick around.  Maybe it didn't all work out, but it definitely wasn't for lack of trying on Lou's part.  Also would've helped if Kovy made up his mind during the last week of June on not on July 12. 

I am pretty sure that Kovalchuk's mind was made up in June and that Lou knew this.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#335 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

I actually think Lou came up with the plan probably as far back as the winter once Kovalchuk expressed desire to remain in Russia. Lou saw an opening, and it wouldn't have surprised me if he came to Kovalchuk and said "if you're going to do it, the time is now."

Olesz...forgot about that guy.

#336 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Tell 'Em Steve-Dave!

Amazing Mallrats reference, I just spit out my coffee.

#337 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Amazing Mallrats reference, I just spit out my coffee.

Agreed, great one!

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#338 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

Wrong Thread. Delete

Edited by RizzMB30, 13 June 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#339 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

Isn't the cap supposed to go up a little this year?

Mirtle had a really informative article the other day on the financial situation for the league. Re: Salary Cap

So if revenues come in at exactly $3.7-billion, next year’s cap would be roughly $69.6-million. If they rise to $4-billion a year later, the cap climbs to nearly $76-million for 2015-16. (The floor in both cases is approximately $18-million to $20-million lower.)

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#340 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Where do we think Ryan Kesler wants to/will go?  I'd much rather have a Kesler than Spezza.  Unlikely the Devils do it, but maybe the Canucks are backed into a corner a little bit here.  Kesler has asked for a trade and submitted his 6 teams that he would goto.  That's not a lot of flexibility.  I would imagine, NYR, Boston, Boston, maybe Tampa?  It's rumored that Anaheim and Philly are on his list.  God I hope he doesn't end up in Philly.

Unfortunately I'm saying he ends up in Philly, it's kind of the par for the course now to make a splash when the Draft is in your own building so I'm saying one of Couturier/B. Schenn, the 17th Overall Pick, and something else (maybe Robert Hagg) for Kesler at the Draft.

25smul5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users