951 replies to this topic

#21 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

Except Boston NJ could have beaten any Eastern team in a series.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#22 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

That's clearly not true, and I don't know how many upsets it's going to take for people to realize this isn't true.  It's not likely that the Devils could've won two rounds, but they certainly could have.

What do other upsets have to do with how our team was constructed?  The lowest scoring team in the East playoffs had 215 goals (Montreal).  We scored 197.  It makes me mad that all these other playoff teams are getting crappy goaltending and defense while we're sitting at home largely because of that hideous offense.  Could we have lucked out with a MAF implosion against Pittsburgh?  Maybe, and maybe our offense was too putrid to take advantage of it.  Even if we had we probably weren't beating the Rangers in the second round.  The Rangers have been an upper-echelon team since New Year's.

And if we HAD gotten stuck in the other bracket playing Boston and Montreal, well forget that :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978, 24 April 2014 - 08:51 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

What do other upsets have to do with how our team was constructed?  The lowest scoring team in the East playoffs had 215 goals (Montreal).  We scored 197.  It makes me mad that all these other playoff teams are getting crappy goaltending and defense while we're sitting at home largely because of that offense.  Could we have lucked out with a MAF implosion against Pittsburgh?  Maybe, and maybe our offense was too putrid to take advantage of it.  Even if we had we probably weren't beating the Rangers in the second round.  The Rangers have been an upper-echelon team since New Year's.

Did you adjust for shootouts?  No, of course not.  And again, anything can happen in one series.  If NJ shot 12% for 6 games, which is not hard to do by chance, they would probably win a series.

Let's also not forget that the Devils' D is better than what it was because presumably they would be playing a good goalie for all the games and not a terrible one.

Edited by Triumph, 24 April 2014 - 08:51 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

Did you adjust for shootouts?  No, of course not.  And again, anything can happen in one series.  If NJ shot 12% for 6 games, which is not hard to do by chance, they would probably win a series.

Let's also not forget that the Devils' D is better than what it was because presumably they would be playing a good goalie for all the games and not a terrible one.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm

I went by the NHL standings.  Even if you take away shootout goals, big deal.  It's not like they were adding any to our total or put the other teams ahead of us offensively lol.  Montreal would have had 209 if the shootout goals counted toward their total, the Rangers 214, and those were the closest ones to our total.  The others were even farther ahead.

If we had even close to a league-average offense we could have been the 2nd best team in the East easy...we probably wouldn't have finished that high in the standings obviously but still.  We were 27th in goalscoring, with or without shootout goals. 

Edited by NJDevs4978, 24 April 2014 - 09:01 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

I know the Devils offense was terrible.  The thing about offense is that it's largely random in short bursts.  Would the Devils have been a favorite in the 1st round?  No, of course not.  But they could have competed, and if they had gotten some breaks, they could've won a round, and had they gotten lots of breaks they could have won several rounds.

Edited by Triumph, 24 April 2014 - 09:14 PM.

#26 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

I know the Devils offense was terrible.  The thing about offense is that it's largely random in short bursts.  Would the Devils have been a favorite in the 1st round?  No, of course not.  But they could have competed, and if they had gotten some breaks, they could've won a round, and had they gotten lots of breaks they could have won several rounds.

Agreed.  Despite how poor Ryder and Brunner were during the season, they could have caught fire at any time.  Playoffs are a different animal.  I would have expected the Devils to put up a good fight in any series, Boston would have likely trounced us though. 

People underestimate how much production we got from our defense corps this season as well.  Greene has a great year offensively, Zids put up Norris-like numbers (He wouldn't come close to a Norris because of his defensive play), and then you had Gelinas who chipped in a great deal.  The Devils almost NEVER get this kind of production from their back end, if the offense wasn't so bad we'd be in a decent spot. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#27 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

We were just barely over .500.  Shootout or not, at best, this is a .500 team right now.

#28 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

I'd love to see Lou make an attempt to pursue Eberle but they'd have to give up far too much, and they can't trade the 30th pick. But you know a few GM's will be more than willing. 

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#29 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

There are a lot of parallels to be made between New Jersey and Columbus, the types of teams they are, the way they played all season, and what they're currently doing in round 1 vs. the top seed in the division.

#30 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

We were just barely over .500.  Shootout or not, at best, this is a .500 team right now.

Devils were six games over .500 starting a garbage goalie half the time. Now, I'm not naive enough to believe that Jagr and/or Elias repeats their production, but I think you will get a bit more out of Ryder and Brunner. With vastly improved goaltending, Merrill and Larsson improving and just ONE decent FA signing, next year will probably go better

#31 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

Why does anyone still believe Brunner has more to give? He is what he is, he's asthetically pleasing cause he has some speed and can make moves but it doesn't translate into a whole lot of production, he's a poor man's Mason Raymond and I'm not even a fan of him. There's a reason Detroit (who's as smart as anyone) let him walk and a reason he was unsigned till camp.

How many top nine guys honestly underachieved besides Ryder? And IMO that got canceled out from Jagr being better than expected.

#32 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

Why does anyone still believe Brunner has more to give? He is what he is, he's asthetically pleasing cause he has some speed and can make moves but it doesn't translate into a whole lot of production, he's a poor man's Mason Raymond and I'm not even a fan of him. There's a reason Detroit (who's as smart as anyone) let him walk and a reason he was unsigned till camp.

How many top nine guys honestly underachieved besides Ryder? And IMO that got canceled out from Jagr being better than expected.

They didn't let him walk.  They made him the NJ offer and he didn't take it and they said so long.  But they made him a fair offer.

The reason he was unsigned is that he was looking for a particular salary and no one was offering it.

Brunner had two injuries during the season and suffered in a major slump too.  I think he's better than he showed here last year, I'm just not sure he will get another chance to demonstrate that.  If he ever 'got' the system he could be a useful addition.

#33 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

I expect nothing more from ryder and brunner next season then what they brought this season. both of them were being depended on to produce and bring goals and we got what we got out of them.. no reason to believe either of them would be any better next year
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#34 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

If Lou were to use his last compliance buyout on either Salvador or Volchenkov, which would you rather it be? While Volchenkov is more useful than Salvador (especially because of his PK), he will still have 2 years left on his contract (at 4.25 per) after this season while Salvador will only have one left (at 3.16 per). Plus Salvador always seems to be injured whether you use quotes around injured or not. He just seems to be easier to bury or hide. Might make more sense to keep him for one more year and buyout Volch.

As of right now our defense will look like this next year:

Greene

Larsson (as Tri pointed out he's waiver eligible next year so he's in full time)

Merrill

Gelinas

Harrold

Salvador

Volchenkov

People want Zids and Fayne back but where will they fit without major moves coming first? Will there be any more defenders in Albany who will be ready to make the jump next year (Helgeson for example)? Will Lou sign a UFA defender this summer leaving us all baffled? What other moves can Lou make to keep Fayne and Zids? Keep Gelinas in Albany or as the #7 or #8 and sign Zids? Buyout/trade Harrold and sign Fayne?

#35 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

Did you adjust for shootouts? No, of course not. And again, anything can happen in one series. If NJ shot 12% for 6 games, which is not hard to do by chance, they would probably win a series.

Totally agree on the latter part. Also less Salvador at certain points would have had an impact.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#36 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

Lou will not buyout Salvador. You can take that to the bank.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#37 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

Unfourtunently i do agree i dont think salvador will be bought out.. however volchenkov on the other hand who knows..maybe
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#38 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

I think it's important to remember that Barney's claim was that he would be perfectly fine going into next year with the same roster, not just that we could make the playoffs. Point being, that given the fact that we weren't very good and indeed didn't make the playoffs this year, to not want roster improvements for next year is ludicrous.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#39 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

I think it's important to remember that Barney's claim was that he would be perfectly fine going into next year with the same roster, not just that we could make the playoffs. Point being, that given the fact that we weren't very good and indeed didn't make the playoffs this year, to not want roster improvements for next year is ludicrous.

Why won't you just drink the Kool-Aid???

#40 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

Where did anyone say any of this?
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users