951 replies to this topic

#421 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

That we could go over the cap with the roster we had is mind-boggling.

The Devils spent $8.5M on goaltending - two #1 goalies is expensive.  I don't think anyone in the league spent more.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#422 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

The Devils spent $8.5M on goaltending - two #1 goalies is expensive. I don't think anyone in the league spent more.

Yup and at least for next season our goalie expenses will be in half but expected to go up again in 2015-2016. Our cap situation is manageable especially when you factor that Salvador, Ryder, Brunner, Jagr, Zidlicky all come off the books next offseason with Ruutu, Elias, Zubrus, Volchenkov the following year. Also who knows about Clowe.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#423 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

Yup and at least for next season our goalie expenses will be in half but expected to go up again in 2015-2016. Our cap situation is manageable especially when you factor that Salvador, Ryder, Brunner, Jagr, Zidlicky all come off the books next offseason with Ruutu, Elias, Zubrus, Volchenkov the following year. Also who knows about Clowe.

I'm hoping Clowe has an injury free season and shows what an asset he is

look at players that had concussions lately, like Crosby...it looked like one more hit and he was done a few seasons ago, but last season he was good to go

theres another player or two that looked like it was over for them and they bounced back...thats what I'm hoping for

#424 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hemsky has turned down the Senators three year offer

he's a Czech ? but I dont think we need a RW 

#425 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

The thing about the cap overages is that let's say NJ is working with a 68 million cap, well they get the same bonus cushion, and Zidlicky and Jagr are already signed up with bonuses.  So they can just repeat this next year.

When you say "repeat this next year", you mean last year's bonuses do impact our 2014-2015 cap, but our 2014-2015 bonuses can shift to 2015-2016 cap, so we're kinda status quo?

Edited by DJ Eco, 16 June 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#426 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

I'm hoping Clowe has an injury free season and shows what an asset he is

look at players that had concussions lately, like Crosby...it looked like one more hit and he was done a few seasons ago, but last season he was good to go

theres another player or two that looked like it was over for them and they bounced back...thats what I'm hoping for

Yup, when he got into the swing of things last year, his value was there. Great player, I can see why Sharks fans loved him. Hope he can bounce back with an injury-free season. Would love to see how Clowe leads this team in a playoff run scenario.

#427 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

Is Evander Kane the new Luongo when it comes to twitter?

Evander Kane @EKane9JETS 3h

I know I've seen someone else do this before.. pic.twitter.com/nT931T9EcK

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#428 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

COL is taking ROR to arbitration.  Interesting development.  I could see them losing ROR or Stasny here this offseason. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#429 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

COL gave pending UFA C Paul Stastny multi-year contract offer couple of weeks ago. No dialogue since but it's expected to get going soon.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#430 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

COL is taking ROR to arbitration.  Interesting development.  I could see them losing ROR or Stasny here this offseason. 

If they get Stastny resigned, I'd probably look to trade ROR since he probably won't sign there after going to arbitration and them dicking him around a couple years ago

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#431 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Lots of high quality centers apparently on the move this offseason.

Kesler, Spezza, Stastny, potentially RoR .. would love to see the Devils get in on the action.

Zajac would be a PERFECT 2C.  Devils would be dynamite with a offensively creative 1C.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#432 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,424 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

O'Reilly would be an amazing get... It would also take a miracle.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#433 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

I don't see us trading for these guys without mortgaging our future.  I can be patient and would rather us look inside the system.  The 2012 team was built like that.  A good number of homegrown players mixed with a few solid trades here or there to solidify us.  You never know what young players will do when they show up to camp in the fall. 

Homegrown: Parise, Clarkson, Zajac, Henrique, Fayne, Greener, Larsson, Elias, Brodeur, guess you could throw Gionta, and Josefson in there too. 

Solid trade/waiver acqs:  Kovy, Poni, Harrold, Carter, Zids, Sykie, traded guys from further back would be guys like Zubrus, Salvador.

EDIT: Didn't Parise goto club arbitration in his last RFA year?

Edited by RizzMB30, 16 June 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#434 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

Larsson/Gelinas and some pieces for ROR and some pieces?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#435 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

Larsson/Gelinas and some pieces for ROR and some pieces?

Hmm, I'd give up Gelly and a 2nd rounder for him.  Probably not enough.

#436 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

I don't see us trading for these guys without mortgaging our future.  I can be patient and would rather us look inside the system.  The 2012 team was built like that.  A good number of homegrown players mixed with a few solid trades here or there to solidify us.  You never know what young players will do when they show up to camp in the fall. 

Homegrown: Parise, Clarkson, Zajac, Henrique, Fayne, Greener, Larsson, Elias, Brodeur, guess you could throw Gionta, and Josefson in there too. 

Solid trade/waiver acqs:  Kovy, Poni, Harrold, Carter, Zids, Sykie, traded guys from further back would be guys like Zubrus, Salvador.

EDIT: Didn't Parise goto club arbitration in his last RFA year?

One of the many reasons the Devils won't trade for those players is because they don't have the assets to do it.  Vancouver and Ottawa want something like a first round pick, a prospect and a good young player.  Translated into a hypothetical, that would mean, for example, from the Flyers: Courturier, the Flyers first round pick this year and someone decent in their system.  The Devils do not have a first round pick to trade this year, will not want to give up their first next year, and would not want to trade someone like Henrique for expensive players that are clearly on the decline.  My prediction is that Anaheim will trade for one of Spezza or Kessler, and most likely Spezza.  They have a ton of cap space, two first round picks this year and a lot of young pretty good forwards that are expendable (Emerson Etem, Kyle Palmieri come to mind). 

Posted Image

#437 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

One of the many reasons the Devils won't trade for those players is because they don't have the assets to do it.  Vancouver and Ottawa want something like a first round pick, a prospect and a good young player.  Translated into a hypothetical, that would mean, for example, from the Flyers: Courturier, the Flyers first round pick this year and someone decent in their system.  The Devils do not have a first round pick to trade this year, will not want to give up their first next year, and would not want to trade someone like Henrique for expensive players that are clearly on the decline.  My prediction is that Anaheim will trade for one of Spezza or Kessler, and most likely Spezza.  They have a ton of cap space, two first round picks this year and a lot of young pretty good forwards that are expendable (Emerson Etem, Kyle Palmieri come to mind). 

Just because a team wants that doesn't mean they'll get it. There is no chance anyone gets close to that Flyers deal you hypothesized. 

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#438 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

Just because a team wants that doesn't mean they'll get it. There is no chance anyone gets close to that Flyers deal you hypothesized. 

Kessler I bet could land that.  Spezza probably less, but it would still involve at least a first round pick going the other way. 

Posted Image

#439 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

O'Reilly would be an amazing get... It would also take a miracle.

It would cost Larsson and we'd have to dump some salary.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#440 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

Kessler I bet could land that.  Spezza probably less, but it would still involve at least a first round pick going the other way. 

The Flyers are nuts if they send Couturier for Kesler straight up.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users