951 replies to this topic

#461 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

Seems lik a no brainer to me to buy out Volch.

One more year of Salvador is a better option.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#462 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

ah, i would much rather see Sal go.  I know Volch's contract is worse but I feel like hes more valuable than Sal is. Volch brings a dimension that no other Dman on this team brings, so i would consider Sal more of a "cutting the fat" option

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#463 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

Maybe amnesty Volch and use a standard buyout on Salvador?

I know I'm dreaming

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#464 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Salvador brings nothing to the table. He does not excel in anything. He's unscratchable because of the 'C'. With a logjam on defense, that alone makes him a better option to be bought out, but of course, that's good reason that the Devils wouldn't dream of buying him out.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#465 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

They're both useless.  Volch is as immobile as anyone out there, and we'd be stuck with him for another two seasons.

Salvador is terrible too, but at least he's gone after this year.

I'm not disagreeing outright, just saying they're both terrible contracts for bad players.

believe-ll.jpg

#466 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

David Booth being bought out in Vancouver, had some good years under Pete. Anyone take a cheap flyer?

#467 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Leino too.  Could see that one a mile away.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#468 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

David Booth being bought out in Vancouver, had some good years under Pete. Anyone take a cheap flyer?

I'd take a chance on Booth. My understanding was that he never reached the level that a lot of people thought he would. With such big names in play though, I am hoping Lou can get one of them to drink the  :koolaid:  and grab someone to help the first line. *Cough* first line center. 

815631765.gif

#469 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

I'd be a bit wary of a guy who hasn't put up decent numbers since 2011-2012. His shot rate dropped by almost 50% last year in comparison to the 3+ shots per game he was putting up from 2007-2012. If we sign him though, you'd almost have to get rid of Zubrus somehow to make room for him.

#470 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,588 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

I'd want to but I don't see the space on the roster right now.  I think NJ would have to clear out two forwards for that to happen.

Leino is horrible.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#471 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

Doesn't Booth have concussion issues? I'm not sure we can afford to take Booth on at such a risk with Clowe already a huge question mark.

As Tri said we would have to clear out at least another forward.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#472 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

Are the Devils going to have room to sign anybody to this team this year?  It seems the Devils are going to roll with the same team as last year

#473 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

Are the Devils going to have room to sign anybody to this team this year?  It seems the Devils are going to roll with the same team as last year

Well, Marty being let go, and a buyout of Volchenkov/Salvador frees up a considerable amount of money right there, and those are just moves within our control/don't really cost us anything. Then as far as roster space is concerned, letting 2 of the CBGB line go frees up a few lower line roster spots. And that's not getting into trades yet. I'm pretty confident some significant changes will come about on July 1st... 

#474 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Sounds like Boston doesn't want to bring back Thornton. I'd love him on the fourth line for a year for two.

EDIT: didn't realize he's turning 37. Still, if Lou wants an enforcer for next season this guy would be a good choice since he can actually play some hockey.

Edited by Zubie#8, 17 June 2014 - 01:59 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#475 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Well, Marty being let go, and a buyout of Volchenkov/Salvador frees up a considerable amount of money right there, and those are just moves within our control/don't really cost us anything. Then as far as roster space is concerned, letting 2 of the CBGB line go frees up a few lower line roster spots. And that's not getting into trades yet. I'm pretty confident some significant changes will come about on July 1st... 

I think the playoffs these past few years have shown us that having a 4th line that can play hockey and not just hit and fight is so valuable. So even if so called "top 9" forwards play the lowest min a game they could mix up lines, fill in for injuries, and keep minutes down in general which is a good thing when you have an older team.

#476 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

Well at least we're not one of the to ten teams Spezza does not want to go to.  Not that I want him here, just nice that we're not that unattractive a place to go.

http://sports.yahoo...._medium=twitter

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#477 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

Well at least we're not one of the to ten teams Spezza does not want to go to.  Not that I want him here, just nice that we're not that unattractive a place to go.

I'd love to have Spezza, but we have nothing to make that trade work. He'll also sign a long-term extension that'll most likely be a disaster.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#478 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

I think David Booth would be a great third line pickup since he's succeeded under DeBoer in the past, but like others have noted we would have to move out a forward or two.

Edited by Brandon, 17 June 2014 - 03:32 PM.

25smul5.png

#479 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

i don't think moving guys like brunner and/or ryder would be very hard at all if lou felt he could upgrade.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#480 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

Poor Isles. Total pariahs.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users