951 replies to this topic

#521 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

I really hope the staff don't  plan on trying to keep the 4th line intact. It's time to let that go.

815631765.gif

#522 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

You've got 8 guys signed for next year already.  Then you've got Severson in the minors.  I like Fayne a lot, but unless they move one of the young D, I'm not sure he should be retained except at a very fair price point (I'm already assuming one of Salvador or Volchenkov will be the compliance buyout).  And so NJ shouldn't really be talking to Fayne's agent until this sort of deal happens, and I imagine it would happen around the draft.

If the plan were to get rid of Volchenkov and Salvador, and keep Fayne, in 2013-14 the defense is: Zidlicky, Greene, Fayne, Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas, Harrold.  You also have Severson, Helegson and Scarlett who all seem like plausible call ups in the event of injuries, or you can make a Skoula/Havelid trade as a last resort.

The following year, when you would hope that Severson is ready to be a full-time NHLer, Greene, Zidlicky and Harrold are not under contract, albeit I assume and hope that Lou keeps Greene around.  If it looks like Gelinas is nothing more than a MAB clone, or Severson is Matt Corrente, you can re-up Zidlicky who seems like he'll keep signing one year deals as long as Lou wants to keep him around.

In two years, Santini might plausibly be ready to play the NHL (and that's doubtful), at which time we have no idea what the defense corps will look like.

EDIT:  And even if you kept one of Volechenkov/Salvador, you can always put Harrold on waivers.  There's a 50/50 chance that he makes it through.  That's a small price to pay to ensure that you keep a valuable player like Fayne.

Edited by Daniel, 18 June 2014 - 11:22 AM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#523 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Kinda sucks that we have a solid D that is kind of cockblocking our ability to bring in a couple 1st or 2nd liners

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#524 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

If the plan were to get rid of Volchenkov and Salvador, and keep Fayne, in 2013-14 the defense is: Zidlicky, Greene, Fayne, Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas, Harrold.  You also have Severson, Helegson and Scarlett who all seem like plausible call ups in the event of injuries, or you can make a Skoula/Havelid trade as a last resort.

The following year, when you would hope that Severson is ready to be a full-time NHLer, Greene, Zidlicky and Harrold are not under contract, albeit I assume and hope that Lou keeps Greene around.  If it looks like Gelinas is nothing more than a MAB clone, or Severson is Matt Corrente, you can re-up Zidlicky who seems like he'll keep signing one year deals as long as Lou wants to keep him around.

In two years, Santini might plausibly be ready to play the NHL (and that's doubtful), at which time we have no idea what the defense corps will look like.

EDIT:  And even if you kept one of Volechenkov/Salvador, you can always put Harrold on waivers.  There's a 50/50 chance that he makes it through.  That's a small price to pay to ensure that you keep a valuable player like Fayne.

I don't really think this is plausible.  I don't see them getting rid of both Volchenkov and Salvador - these players were on their top PK unit.  They're going to throw that over in one season?  I don't see it.  And that's the real point - Mark Fayne doesn't play a whole lot.  18 minutes a game for each of the last two seasons.  That's 3rd pairing minutes on a team with flat ice time distribution.  Now we know he played against better competition, but they don't play him a ton, and I don't see the sense in paying a lot for that.  Play goes forward when Fayne is on the ice, but I don't think his play-driving is worth that much - he doesn't have no offense, but he doesn't have a ton either.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#525 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

I don't really think this is plausible.  I don't see them getting rid of both Volchenkov and Salvador - these players were on their top PK unit.  They're going to throw that over in one season?  I don't see it.  And that's the real point - Mark Fayne doesn't play a whole lot.  18 minutes a game for each of the last two seasons.  That's 3rd pairing minutes on a team with flat ice time distribution.  Now we know he played against better competition, but they don't play him a ton, and I don't see the sense in paying a lot for that.  Play goes forward when Fayne is on the ice, but I don't think his play-driving is worth that much - he doesn't have no offense, but he doesn't have a ton either.  

The question is how much more Fayne adds than Volchenkov and Salvador, both of whom you'd be paying more, and if you'd be comfortable giving Fayne more minutes than he's gotten, especially when you take into account that he would presumably make that up by getting PK time.  (It's also possible that Fayne's average icetime looks low because he was in DeBoer's doghouse for the first month or two of the season). 

I don't know the nuts and bolts, but it really seems like the Devils PK is close to being a set of interchangeable parts.  I mean, I guess Volchenkov adds a shot blocking element, but I don't see what Salvador brings that can't be taught to a more skilled player.   

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#526 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

The question is how much more Fayne adds than Volchenkov and Salvador, both of whom you'd be paying more, and if you'd be comfortable giving Fayne more minutes than he's gotten, especially when you take into account that he would presumably make that up by getting PK time.  (It's also possible that Fayne's average icetime looks low because he was in DeBoer's doghouse for the first month or two of the season). 

I don't know the nuts and bolts, but it really seems like the Devils PK is close to being a set of interchangeable parts.  I mean, I guess Volchenkov adds a shot blocking element, but I don't see what Salvador brings that can't be taught to a more skilled player.   

As much as I/we rip Salvador and Volchenkov, they are very good on the PK.  There are certain instincts out there that can only be refined with experience.  By the way, I don't think Fayne coming back is contingent on a buyout.  He is a RH and I suspect both he and Larsson can't both exist on the roster.  If they think Larsson can replace what he does, than I doubt he is back

#527 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Although they are top pk'ers you have to take into account that Volch and Sal are one year older in the downside of their careers. That means they'll be much slower and injury prone. It's just a matter of time before they become completely useless. Sal scares the hell out of me in his own zone. His puck handling has become very shaky and reactionary.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#528 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

I really hope the staff don't  plan on trying to keep the 4th line intact. It's time to let that go.

It really is. I was hopeful that they'd finally realize that now that it has been two seasons since CBGB was so productive.

I'd be happy with a fourth line of: Carter-Zubrus-Matteau

That would leave space in the top 9 for:

Jagr

Zajac

Elias

Henrique

Clowe

Brunner

Ryder

Ruutu

Then Lou could probably sign a UFA for that last spot, if that's his plan. Moving Ryder to a team with a system that he better fits would open up a spot for Josefson, too, who hopefully will be a regular this season.

#529 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

It really is. I was hopeful that they'd finally realize that now that it has been two seasons since CBGB was so productive.

I'd be happy with a fourth line of: Carter-Zubrus-Matteau

That would leave space in the top 9 for:

Jagr

Zajac

Elias

Henrique

Clowe

Brunner

Ryder

Ruutu

Then Lou could probably sign a UFA for that last spot, if that's his plan. Moving Ryder to a team with a system that he better fits would open up a spot for Josefson, too, who hopefully will be a regular this season.

It's been one season since Carter-Gionta-Bernier was productive.  They combined for 18 goals in 2012-13, which is perfectly acceptable for the roles they were playing.

#530 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

why are the Devils worried about the fourth line when they need to address the first two lines

#531 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,327 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

Really happy to see Sislo get re-signed. I hope he can break through and get a place on the 4th line.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#532 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

https://twitter.com/...077203674939394

Cap Geek is saying Devils are $2.25mil in bonus overages

Edited by sokar, 18 June 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#533 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

Thinking about this past season.. I hope Lou does something to add some excitement to this team.

Because now that these exciting playoffs are over, I'm starting to remember just how horribly dull and boring the Devils were this past season.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 18 June 2014 - 03:57 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#534 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

Thinking about this past season.. I hope Lou does something to add some excitement to this team.

Because now that these exciting playoffs are over, I'm starting to remember just how horribly dull and boring the Devils were this past season.

Excitement?

I bet every time Lou hears that word he does this check of his own mental dictionary while thinking "EX-SIGH-MENT!?" a la Mr. Burns with recycling when Lisa asked if his plant had a recycling program.

#535 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

I can't believe there's so much focus on the 4th line. I thought they were more efficient than our 3rd line, especially with how little the 4th line was getting paid.

I'd honestly be fine with keeping the 4th line and getting some other players off my team if it meant we were renovating our first two lines

Edited by Onddeck, 18 June 2014 - 04:53 PM.

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#536 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

It's been one season since Carter-Gionta-Bernier was productive. They combined for 18 goals in 2012-13, which is perfectly acceptable for the roles they were playing.

What about all their other metrics/ stats?
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#537 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

What about all their other metrics/ stats?

Carter and Bernier were fine that season.  Gionta wasn't.  He came around this season.  One of the things I wish we had data on, and I don't have the ability to figure this out at all, is the future Corsi value of a single Corsi event.  Imagine that Team A gets a Corsi event that is not a goal.  How often does the next Corsi event belong to Team A?  Reverse it - how often after scoring a goal does the Corsi event belong to Team A?  One of the things I wonder is that since the Gionta line was so poor at scoring goals in 2013-14, is some of their improvement in Corsi a result of the puck not going in?  I'm not sure.

Even if you give that line in 2012-13 30 scoreless games they would've been NJ's best full season 4th line since Rupp-Holik-? in 2009.  Granted a lot of the time they were the 3rd line and here they were miscast, but I can't imagine that's the idea next year.  And again, the focus on the 4th line is ridiculous.  The Devils had a forward not pulling his weight on each of the top 3 lines.

Edited by Triumph, 18 June 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#538 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

Lou will lose Fayne, keep Sal, secure the CBGB line and go through the motions the rest of the way. We've seen this movie before and it has a very dull ending.

#539 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

Lou will lose Fayne, keep Sal, secure the CBGB line and go through the motions the rest of the way. We've seen this movie before and it has a very dull ending.

We've seen this post quite often and it too has a very dull ending.  Like last year, when Lou signed 5 forwards and traded for a top goaltender - yawn, business as usual.  Same old sh!t.

#540 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Carter and Bernier were fine that season.  Gionta wasn't.  He came around this season.  One of the things I wish we had data on, and I don't have the ability to figure this out at all, is the future Corsi value of a single Corsi event.  Imagine that Team A gets a Corsi event that is not a goal.  How often does the next Corsi event belong to Team A?  Reverse it - how often after scoring a goal does the Corsi event belong to Team A?  One of the things I wonder is that since the Gionta line was so poor at scoring goals in 2013-14, is some of their improvement in Corsi a result of the puck not going in?  I'm not sure.

Even if you give that line in 2012-13 30 scoreless games they would've been NJ's best full season 4th line since Rupp-Holik-? in 2009.  Granted a lot of the time they were the 3rd line and here they were miscast, but I can't imagine that's the idea next year.  And again, the focus on the 4th line is ridiculous.  The Devils had a forward not pulling his weight on each of the top 3 lines.

Interesting, I have many of the same questions and I'm not sure either.  Bernier did a complete reversal and was probably one of the worst players in all of hockey when accounting for minimum games played this season. Carter spent some time nicked up, but when he played he was useful and impactful.  Gionta was very up and down this year.  Some streaks he was effective, but also misused in a lot of others.  Some games he got completely manhandled and played poorly positionally speaking when put at Center.

If they get played like a 3rd line this year, it's very questionable whether we can think of being a playoff team. 

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users