951 replies to this topic

#761 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Lou won't dump Salvador. Langenbrunner was a different situation with his discontent.

I think you're right. Lou has also stated that he may not use the buyout. I wont be shocked to see us lose Fayne and keep both Sal and Volch. I think it's a real possibility.

#762 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

Knock it off!

slap-o.gif

This was absolutely perfect :lol:

And yeah, we can all pretend otherwise, but I'd wager there's a 75% chance Gionta is here next year.

Wouldn't mind him if we didn't already have a ton of non-scoring wingers.  

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#763 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:01 AM

It could be possible that Lou is also trying to work out a deal with Buffalo so Buffalo can get to the cap floor. They're 16 million below with 15 players on the roster. They don't figure to go after any big free agents, and are in full tank mode for this coming season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This. Heck, any of the bottom 4 salary teams would make sense. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#764 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

With buffalo buying out erhoff - they have to trade for contracts. Murray has said he'll take contracts with draft picks.

Hey Sal, enjoy western New York.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#765 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

With buffalo buying out erhoff - they have to trade for contracts. Murray has said he'll take contracts with draft picks.

I think Sal's pretty much a company man and Lou likes that.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#766 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

Just posted a McKenzie tweet about this in the other thread- this is screaming Lou's name loudly.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#767 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

It's not going to happen unfortunately.  I think Lou just believes Sal is a good, and perhaps very good player.  Volchenkov has the NTC.  And we don't need additional cap space than is already there to give Brian Gionta 4 years/$16 million. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#768 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,277 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

4-16 for Gionta would be put Lou in the loony bin type crazy.  AT MOST he should get a two-year deal, and not at that money per year either.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#769 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

4-16 for Gionta would be put Lou in the loony bin type crazy.  AT MOST he should get a two-year deal, and not at that money per year either.

I believe Gionta was making 5 in MTL. I wouldn't be surprised if Lou gave him something close to that.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#770 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,045 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

It's not going to happen unfortunately.  I think Lou just believes Sal is a good, and perhaps very good player.  Volchenkov has the NTC.  And we don't need additional cap space than is already there to give Brian Gionta 4 years/$16 million. 

Lou decided to walk away from Gionta 5 years ago because he wouldn't pay him 5/$25, but now he'd feel comfortable giving him years and $$$?

Edited by devilsrule33, 29 June 2014 - 11:35 AM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#771 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Lou decided to walk away from Gionta 5 years because he wouldn't pay him 5/$25, but now he'd feel comfortable giving him years and $$$?

Don't bring logic into this.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#772 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Lou decided to walk away from Gionta 5 years because he wouldn't pay him 5/$25, but now he'd feel comfortable giving him years and $$$?

Well the cap is higher now.  And he said he wants to address the lack of scoring.  Gio also proved to be a leader capable of carrying his team to the conference finals.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#773 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

I believe Gionta was making 5 in MTL. I wouldn't be surprised if Lou gave him something close to that.

Talks have apparently broken down in Montreal. I say Lou signs him for 4.5 mil for 2 years.

#774 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Lou isn't ever going to create a list of defensmen that looks good on paper because he slots players in certain roles. If you buy out Salvador and Volchenkov than you have Greene, Zidlicky, Merril and Fayne playing PK. These guys are speciality players for the PK and it seems Lou values a strong PK over certain weaknesses 5 on 5.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#775 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

Lou isn't ever going to create a list of defensmen that looks good on paper because he slots players in certain roles. If you buy out Salvador and Volchenkov than you have Greene, Zidlicky, Merril and Fayne playing PK. These guys are speciality players for the PK and it seems Lou values a strong PK over certain weaknesses 5 on 5.

I don't think anyone is asking Lou to get rid of Sal and Volch, but one should go.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#776 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

I don't think anyone is asking Lou to get rid of Sal and Volch, but one should go.

Gelinas, Larsson, Merrill and Zidlicky are all most likely poor on the PK. With Fayne  likely cashing out that leaves Greene and Salvador/Volchekov to kill penalties. 

Greene - Merrill

Volchekov/Gelinas - Larsson

Salvador-ZIdlicky

THis is most likely how NJ opens the season.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#777 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,277 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Gionta's also going to be 35 at the beginning of next season and clearly on the downside of his career, he's not getting a 4-year deal from ANYone, come on.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 29 June 2014 - 04:38 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#778 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

Gionta's also going to be 35 going into next season, he's not getting a 4-year deal from ANYone, come on.

Although I like him and I hope he's 100%, Clowe, was coming off recent postseason injuries, a history of concussions and received 5 for 5.

I don't think anything is impossible with Lou.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#779 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,277 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Five years was dumb but I'm sure others were offering at least 3-4.  Clowe also has a specific skillset we needed, and gets ridiculously overpaid in FA because there aren't many physical players who score goals (see: Clarkson, David).

#780 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Five years was dumb but I'm sure others were offering at least 3-4.  Clowe also has a specific skillset we needed, and gets ridiculously overpaid in FA because there aren't many physical players who score goals (see: Clarkson, David).

I think Clowe is awesome and I like what he brings, but signing him based on his injury history was incredibly risky.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users