951 replies to this topic

#61 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

Seriously? You think he's tradeable?? Unless a GM is trying to get fired, I have no idea why you would treade for Sal.

I imagine his numbers don't stack up too horribly with the rest of the league. And again, he was a part of a very good defensive unit as a whole. There are enough teams with plenty of cap space for one more year that have very thin defensive units that might see "leadership" value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#62 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

One of Salvador/Volchenkov has to get moved and I'd much rather it be Salvador. I still think Volchenkov can contribute and his contract may not be ideal but it's not terrible. Plus Volchenkov has a NTC where Salvador has no restrictions. Salvador only has a year left at $3,166,667 so maybe he'd appeal to a team that is around the cap floor that needs a vet.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#63 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

One of Salvador/Volchenkov has to get moved and I'd much rather it be Salvador. I still think Volchenkov can contribute and his contract may not be ideal but it's not terrible. Plus Volchenkov has a NTC where Salvador has no restrictions. Salvador only has a year left at $3,166,667 so maybe he'd appeal to a team that is around the cap floor that needs a vet.

The thing is, with a compliance buyout for Volch we get rid of him for "free". Trading Sal saves 3.1 the next year on the cap while trading volch saves 8.2 over the next two years.

Regardless, the only wrong move would keeping both. Not enough room for both of them slowing down the blue line.

#64 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,422 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

The thing is, with a compliance buyout for Volch we get rid of him for "free". Trading Sal saves 3.1 the next year on the cap while trading volch saves 8.2 over the next two years.

Regardless, the only wrong move would keeping both. Not enough room for both of them slowing down the blue line.

I'd still prefer Sal be the one who goes so we can make Greene the captain and kill two birds with one stone.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#65 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

I'd still prefer Sal be the one who goes so we can make Greene the captain and kill two birds with one stone.

if greene comes back..wheres he from? better hope they dont have a hockey team.. devils trend ..leave in FA and go home
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#66 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

if greene comes back..wheres he from? better hope they dont have a hockey team.. devils trend ..leave in FA and go home

Greene is from Michigan so he may go Rafalski.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#67 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

Not that I would advocate killing Salvador and Volchenkov with stones, but...

#68 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

There's something to be said for the play of Salvador and Volchenkov. They have been the pillars of the league leading PK for like 3 years in a row now.

#69 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Roman Jedlicka ‏@jedli 4m

Jaromir Jagr said after practice w/ national team he will continue in #njdevils team. He said he already has agreement with the club.

"But, Lou doesn't negotiate before July 1st!!"

#70 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,422 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

Jagr better watch his back, Lou doesn't like talkers lol.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#71 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

There's something to be said for the play of Salvador and Volchenkov. They have been the pillars of the league leading PK for like 3 years in a row now.

I'll give Volchenkov more of that credit than Sal. Sal always seems to be the weakest link on the PK, gives the opposing forward 2 seconds of time and 2 feet of space in front of our goaltender.

#72 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

Eh, while I think they are okay in this regard, I think Salvador is getting even too slow to play on the PK effectively.  He had the highest SA/60 of anyone on the PK - I know he plays against the 1st unit every time, but so does Volchenkov, and he has the lowest SA/60.  It's not a huge difference - 7 SA/60 - but it's big enough.  Still, I don't see that trend changing any time soon.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#73 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

Eh, while I think they are okay in this regard, I think Salvador is getting even too slow to play on the PK effectively.  He had the highest SA/60 of anyone on the PK - I know he plays against the 1st unit every time, but so does Volchenkov, and he has the lowest SA/60.  It's not a huge difference - 7 SA/60 - but it's big enough.  Still, I don't see that trend changing any time soon.

It must be something other than speed. Volchenkov might be the only person on the team Salvador can win a race against.

#74 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

It must be something other than speed. Volchenkov might be the only person on the team Salvador can win a race against.

Watching those two in a foot race would be like going to a horse track to watch two donkeys race.  :doh1:

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#75 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

I really think we'll see how good Lou can be this offseason cause he has to make the right moves and his margin of error is pretty small or we'll get the same results than this year.

Our problem is that we have too many good but average players. We barely have room to sign people without creating another logjam of average players. We dont really have a legit first line guy either. This is how i see our team

2nd line guys:

Henrique

Zajac

Jagr

Below average or borderline top6 but not suited for 3rd line:

Elias

Ryder

Brunner

3rd line:

Clowe

Josefson

Zubrus

Ruutu

Above average 4th liner:

Carter

Bernier

4th liner:

Gionta

He'll have to find ways to infuse talent, let go of extra weight that can get some kind of fair compensation and make room for better suited players.

Edited by SterioDesign, 29 April 2014 - 04:33 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#76 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

Yeah I'd love to hear all about the 30 RWs or 60 wingers overall better than Jaromir Jagr.  Then I can hear about the 60 centers better than Patrik Elias.  The Devils need to improve their forwards without question, I just think people wildly underrate their own players when it comes to assigning who is 'first line' worthy.

Edited by Triumph, 29 April 2014 - 05:22 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#77 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

Three question go through my minde 1. Will Lou use his last buy out.  2. Is Salvador going to be healthy enough to help this team next year.  3. Is not only is Clowe going to be healthy to play next year but should he play next year.  With all those head injuries I am not sure he should play next year. One last thing i hope Lou get rid of the fourth line we have right now.  Thanks for helping us get to the finals but Devils need to move past that now                                                              

#78 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

Sal gets all flustered when he handles the puck now. He's like the doctor that had the yips on Curb Your Enthusiasm

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#79 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

Lmao @ Elias not being a top 6 forward. That is a bit much, even for you SD. The guy put up almost exactly the same ppg as Jagr. What makes Jagr top 6 worthy, but not Elias?

Edited by ATLL765, 29 April 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#80 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

Elias and Jagr no question still have 1st line on their resume, because their skill level and hockey sense is so high even if certain elements are fading (endurance/speed/shot quality).

That said, their minutes have to be watched and considering their age, you do have to worry about the cliff showing up more an dmore.  I don't see that big of a concern, but you can't deny it's in the room.

The biggest problem I have with the team is that the forwards mix is just so terrible which to me forces the age issue to the forefront maybe more than it should. If the Devils had some competent young guns, it probably wouldn't be that worrisome.

Tri brought up Selanne on the Ducks, but he's been extremely protected the last couple years by Boudreau and the Ducks, and hasn't been eating quite as heavy minutes like Jagr has.  Selanne's skating for his age has also been quite good.  It's a fair example on his part in regards to the age concern, but it's not really an apples to apples comparison when you consider the big picture.  Now, to the credit of Jagr, he's also been asked to face harsher competition overall due to the minutes and playing 1st line roles.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users