951 replies to this topic

#801 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

geeez i use to see Parenteau downtown at the bar all the time and NO ONE would know who he was. never saw a single person going to him knowing he was an NHL player. Was just sitting there by himself texting all the time.... its about to change now that he'll be in Habs territory

www.SterioDesign.com

#802 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,571 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Good lord, can we have any semblance of organization to any threads on this forum?  This thread is supposed to be about the Devils' offseason.  

That said, NJ is one of the few teams for whom information about their RFA tenders has yet to leak.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#803 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Devils defense at the moment:

Greene-Merrill

Gelinas-Larsson

Salvador-Zidlicky

Harrold

I think this is how it is going into the season. I would be terribly disappointed if Lou brings in another defenseman over the summer on anything other than a PTO. it's going to be some serious sink or swim time with the kids. and albany's d will certainly get their chance when injuries happen.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#804 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Devils defense at the moment:

Greene-Merrill
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky
Harrold

I think this is how it is going into the season. I would be terribly disappointed if Lou brings in another defenseman over the summer on anything other than a PTO. it's going to be some serious sink or swim time with the kids. and albany's d will certainly get their chance when injuries happen.

It's a beautiful lineup, can't wait to see these kids play.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#805 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Greene- Fayne
Merrill Zidlicky
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador

Only if Faynes $ and term are reasonable. If we lose him I wouldn't mind Stralman, but I think he is trying to cash in. However staying in the metro area might be important enough for him to take a little less. All in all I think they need to find a solid RH D man. Wonder what Corey Murphy is up to?

#806 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

Greene- Fayne
Merrill Zidlicky
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador

Only if Faynes $ and term are reasonable. If we lose him I wouldn't mind Stralman, but I think he is trying to cash in. However staying in the metro area might be important enough for him to take a little less. All in all I think they need to find a solid RH D man. Wonder what Corey Murphy is up to?

This would be perfect for me, re-sign Fayne and keep sal in a minimal role OR not sign anyone and give a chance to the kids once in awhile

www.SterioDesign.com

#807 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,006 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Just wasting your time putting any defensive group together with Salvador as the 7th defenseman.

In other news...it's possible Mathieu Perrault becomes a UFA. He's someone I hope the Devils would have interest in.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#808 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

It's a beautiful lineup, can't wait to see these kids play.

be careful what you wish for - i could see plenty of growing pains and a drop in the effectiveness of the PK.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#809 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

be careful what you wish for - i could see plenty of growing pains and a drop in the effectiveness of the PK.

This group will be very strong 5 on 5 playing behind our system. Will the PK lose some effectiveness? Maybe a little.

I will not miss Volchenkovs passing abilities, or lack there of.

Edited by Zubie#8, 30 June 2014 - 02:33 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#810 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,571 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

The PK is going to drop in effectiveness but Volchenkov was certainly a drag on shots for 5 on 5.  And it's not like NJ didn't see plenty of those 3 young D last year.  I think they're going to look into someone else, maybe only on a one year deal though.  Another thing they could do is trade one of the young D for an older D who carries some salary + a forward (who may or may not carry salary).

Edited by Triumph, 30 June 2014 - 02:26 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#811 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

volchenkov missed a good amount of games last year and it didnt seem like we missed a beat while he was gone either

www.SterioDesign.com

#812 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

volchenkov missed a good amount of games last year and it didnt seem like we missed a beat while he was gone either

Agreed. Volchenkov is just a mass of spare parts now.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#813 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Lamoriello: Devils made Fayne "a good offer" & still want him back, but "might not be able to compete with the numbers that are out there."

From TG. This sounds oh too familiar.

Think Fayne's a goner unfortunately.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#814 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

Lamoriello: Devils made Fayne "a good offer" & still want him back, but "might not be able to compete with the numbers that are out there."

Just don't go to the Rangers Fayner.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#815 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

Just don't go to the Rangers Fayner.

i agree. a guy's gotta get paid, and he deserves a decent payday. just not if its gonna mess this team up cap-wise.

and yes, please not to the Flyers either

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#816 gsnts725

gsnts725

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

:(

#817 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

I wouldn't be surprised, Fayne will get some serious offers from several teams. I can see a team like Edmonton offering well over market price just to get a solid dman there for a long term. 5 years x 5 million is possible, and if that's what he gets honestly ill be fine if he does go. He's a nice piece to have at half that price or term, but we hopefully have guys in the org that we'll need spots for in the coming years, and you can't keep everybody.

#818 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

5m a year for Fayne is stupid money. Good for him if he can get it but we aren't in a pressing spot to sign him. Resigning Greene to an extension would be ideal though.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#819 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

I wouldn't be surprised, Fayne will get some serious offers from several teams. I can see a team like Edmonton offering well over market price just to get a solid dman there for a long term. 5 years x 5 million is possible, and if that's what he gets honestly ill be fine if he does go. He's a nice piece to have at half that price or term, but we hopefully have guys in the org that we'll need spots for in the coming years, and you can't keep everybody.

The most I'd give him is 3/11. We have an overflow of young cheap d. No need to break the bank on a guy like Fayne, who while good, isn't anything special. I think he could get as much as $4.5M per on the open market. Hopefully he doesn't go across the river.

#820 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

The most I'd give him is 3/11. We have an overflow of young cheap d. No need to break the bank on a guy like Fayne, who while good, isn't anything special. I think he could get as much as $4.5M per on the open market. Hopefully he doesn't go across the river.

Some team will pay a premium that has lots of holes and needs defense right away. That's why the market is sometimes really relative and subjective than absolute. Quite a few teams even decent ones have some holes in their defensive corps. While we'd love to bring Fayne back we have some depth and quite a few prospects coming. As Tri alluded to you can find a Fayne type once the frenzy dies down to play on the back end.

It's how you allocate your money. A team like Edmonton needs to and can splurge on Fayne because they have no hope for spending money on a quality goalie. That's why when teams say they have cap space it's all relative. Now our forward situation well that's a bit messy now and moving forward.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users