951 replies to this topic

#101 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

The only young defender I'd be willing to part with is Gelinas.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#102 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

So...I'll throw this out there:

What would it take to pry Malkin out of Pittsburgh?  Assuming major changes are on the way.. I personally don't think it'd be do-able, especially being in the same division and all but it'd be one hell of a sweet pickup.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#103 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:41 PM

What would it take to pry Malkin out of Pittsburgh?  Assuming major changes are on the way.. I personally don't think it'd be do-able, especially being in the same division and all but it'd be one hell of a sweet pickup.

yeah we don't have nearly enough even if they'd wanna trade him even if Larsson would probably be a decent start since their defense is god awful 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#104 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

What would it take to pry Malkin out of Pittsburgh? Assuming major changes are on the way.. I personally don't think it'd be do-able, especially being in the same division and all but it'd be one hell of a sweet pickup.

It would never happen. Forget the division, they would never trade Malkin in the east. I think SJ could be a destination for him- two teams that need to make some major changes. And SJ has the assets to make a Malkin deal happen. Only thing is I don't know how the Sharks' cap situation looks...
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#105 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

If they ever did trade Malkin it'd be for Shea Weber, or something like that.  Monster D for monster forward.

But why would they make a change like 'that' when they won't even change up Disco Dan or Fleury yet?

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#106 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:50 PM

If they ever did trade Malkin it'd be for Shea Weber, or something like that. Monster D for monster forward.

But why would they make a change like 'that' when they won't even change up Disco Dan or Fleury yet?

Disco Dan is gonna be bee-boppin' and scattin' to the unemployment line by the end of the week, that's a done deal.

#107 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:33 AM

Wrong thread :(

Edited by Marshall, 14 May 2014 - 03:34 AM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#108 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:19 AM

Disco Dan is gonna be bee-boppin' and scattin' to the unemployment line by the end of the week, that's a done deal.

Likely.  Bylsma has gotten the results, just always short on the prize for the last 4-5 years.  Idk if he's done in Pitt yet, I can see a roster shakeup before I see Disco Dan getting the boot.  If the Pens got beat in the first round by the BLUE JACKETS(which I personally would have found hilarious), then hell yes, fire his ass, fire it good.  I could totally see the Pens and the Sharks as trade partners.  I could see Neal or Malkin getting traded to SJ for Brent Burns, Couture, Pavelski, Thornton.  Assuming a few of those Sharks players would waive their NTC.

EDIT:  Maybe......throw in a goalie swap as well.  Niemi for Fleury?  Very interesting trading partners.

Edited by RizzMB30, 14 May 2014 - 07:21 AM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#109 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

Likely.  Bylsma has gotten the results, just always short on the prize for the last 4-5 years.  Idk if he's done in Pitt yet, I can see a roster shakeup before I see Disco Dan getting the boot.  If the Pens got beat in the first round by the BLUE JACKETS(which I personally would have found hilarious), then hell yes, fire his ass, fire it good.  I could totally see the Pens and the Sharks as trade partners.  I could see Neal or Malkin getting traded to SJ for Brent Burns, Couture, Pavelski, Thornton.  Assuming a few of those Sharks players would waive their NTC.

EDIT:  Maybe......throw in a goalie swap as well.  Niemi for Fleury?  Very interesting trading partners.

I was thinking this too

both teams with great regular seasons but playoff choke jobs, each team has some good "high priced" players that might need a change of scenery

#110 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

imagining getting malkin makes me happy.. but as already said wont happen in this lifetime
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#111 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

imagining getting malkin makes me happy.. but as already said wont happen in this lifetime

Interestingly I recall Holik proposing the idea of a Parise for Malkin swap when Kovalchuk signed his extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#112 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,576 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

Interestingly I recall Holik proposing the idea of a Parise for Malkin swap when Kovalchuk signed his extension.

That never would've worked.  Malkin is not only a much better player but he was much more valuable at the time because of his age.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#113 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

That never would've worked. Malkin is not only a much better player but he was much more valuable at the time because of his age.

As I recall, at the time Malkin was coming off his knee injury, which was also before Parise suffered his. So I suppose Holik's thinking was that the teams would also be exchanging the risk that Malkin's injury would have long term effect on his play.

Whatever it was, at the time, it didn't seem like George Costanza's attempt to get Griffey and Bonds without giving up too much.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#114 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

If they ever did trade Malkin it'd be for Shea Weber, or something like that.  Monster D for monster forward.

Malkin for Weber is a deal that I think makes a ton of sense for both teams.  They grow top paring defenseman on trees in Nashville so they are actually the one team that could trade a guy like Weber and still have one of the best top pairings in the league in another year or two with Josi-Jones. Malkin would do wonders for their offense. 

For the Pens, Weber is the closest thing currently in the NHL to a guy like Stevens or Pronger who is nasty, good in both ends and can totally control a game in the playoffs when it matters.  I think he would do wonders for a generally soft team in Pittsburgh.     

#115 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Malkin for Weber really does make a lot of sense for both teams... And I think there will be major changes in Pittsburgh, so I almost expect some kind of Malkin deal. Crosby is going nowhere, that's not even worth debating.

#116 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,576 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

Malkin isn't going anywhere, Pittsburgh journalists are already saying that if they did deal Malkin he'd go to the KHL.

Nashville is also not trading Weber, they've already put an enormous amount of money into retaining him.

#117 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Malkin isn't going anywhere, Pittsburgh journalists are already saying that if they did deal Malkin he'd go to the KHL.

Nashville is also not trading Weber, they've already put an enormous amount of money into retaining him.

Not to mention that no team would want to take risk of Weber's potential cap recapture penalty.  Weber is also one of the most valuable players in the league, and probably moreso than Malkin.  Nashville can generally be counted on to be a playoff contending team, with an otherwise very weak roster, largely because of what Weber brings to the table.  Malkin is an elite player, but not the type of guy that can carry a team on his own.  He's much more suitable, in theory anyway, going to a team like LA or the Rangers. 

Posted Image

#118 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,576 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

Not to mention that no team would want to take risk of Weber's potential cap recapture penalty.  Weber is also one of the most valuable players in the league, and probably moreso than Malkin.  Nashville can generally be counted on to be a playoff contending team, with an otherwise very weak roster, largely because of what Weber brings to the table.  Malkin is an elite player, but not the type of guy that can carry a team on his own.  He's much more suitable, in theory anyway, going to a team like LA or the Rangers. 

There's absolutely no basis for what you're saying about Malkin - indeed, the Penguins have played without Crosby a lot the last few years and they've won a lot of division titles.

#119 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

You can't call a player an elite player and then say he can't carry a team.  That's what you look at elite players to do night in and night out.  And as Tri has said, Malkin more than carried the Pens when Crosby was having concussion issues

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#120 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

malkin only won an MVP and Conn Smythe but sure he can't carry a team -_-

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users