304 replies to this topic

#301 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

They're gonna have to draft heavy on corners, there's going to be very little cap space all of a sudden especially if they ever get an extension done with Mo.  You can't count on Milliner OR McDougle.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#302 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

Seattle didn't use Harvin in the WR role much. Isn't really a reliable receiver, kept using him in the run game. Which failed miserably at Dallas.

#303 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

This would make sense for the Tanny Jets, but I thought Idzik wasn't about the flashy name. It's almost as if Woody put his foot down and demanded Idzik spend some money on a team that's not winning.

It does cast a serious cloud of doubt on Idzik, because (like you said) this isn't his style at all. The whole season he's been passing on signing players like: Champ Bailey, Asante Samuel, etc. --and for a GM that had immunity, that process of "remaining status-quo" entirely makes sense. But a blockbuster trade in October for a 1-6 team, shows: he's in just as much hot water as Ryan.. especially given the fact that he passed on D'Jax for being a malcontent, and now goes out and trades for a guy like Harvin.

This trade also clues me in that; maybe.. just maybe, Rex isn't going anywhere next season. If he was truly a lame duck, why would you risk success (coincidentally) at the moment the schedule lightens up?  :noclue: Think about it.. if Geno all-of-a-sudden blows up, and starts playing awesome football, how can you get rid of Mornhinweg? If the Jets fire Rex, he won't be the only one going, while all the coordinators remain. They will all go out the door with him. Will they really risk having Geno Smith learn a new offense, when he JUST NOW seems to be finally getting acclimated to MM's? --my point-- Why would you risk all of this success, if Rex was really going to be inevitably fired?

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#304 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

Now with Decker, Harvin, Kerley, and Amaro/Cumberland.. I can say for the first time in a long time the Jets receiving corps are above average.

I'd argue that it's been about 5 years (Tone, Bray & J`Co) since we've had WR's like this.

..the timing of this trade is what strikes me the most. It's almost like the front office said: "Look.. with the exception of San Diego, we've been in every one of these games. We've had leads in every game. We're losing by 1 possession. Let's see what happens if we add a player like Percy at the exact moment we're going up against QB's like Orton, Bridgewater, Tannehill, Locker\Whitehurst, etc."

You have to admit 7, the defenses we've been going up against have all been Top 10. We put up 61 points against the Pats, Broncos, and Lions (statistically the 7th, 4th & 1st best defenses in the league) without Harvin or a 100% Decker. The addition to a guy like Harvin, coupled with NOT having to go up against QB's like: Rodgers, Rivers, Brady, Cutler, Peyton, etc.. could be a 4-5 point swing going forward. I'm not saying we'll go on this magically 9-0 run and make the playoffs. But after a 1-6 start, I would say a 7-9, 8-8 record to end the year would be an enormous success.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#305 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

Broadway Brett the Jet, had some ringing comments to say about Percy Harvin for Jet fans.. :thumbsup:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/19/favre-says-playing-with-percy-harvin-was-great/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000412876/article/brett-favre-on-his-td-record-falling-i-dont-really-care

"I was surprised that trade happened, [Harvin to the Jets] to be honest with you. I have no idea why it happened. Percy was a good guy in the locker room. Really quiet, kept to himself. You know, he had a migraine issue, so.. I don't really know where that is. But I'm really not at a position to make many comments because I don't know other than what my dealings were with Percy, and they were great. I thought he was an outstanding player. The New York media may try to pick him apart over there. How he will react to that, I have no idea. You know, I would be assuming anything. But, hopefully they will protect him a little bit as he transitions into the rest of this season, and he can just play. That's going to be easier said than done. He can be a little combative, but I say that in a good way. Percy's all about doing whatever he can to help the team win, and he is tough as nails. And, really, that's all he cares about. So if you start picking him apart.. I don't want to say he can turn against you.. but. He's just tough. I really liked him as a player and as a person." -- Brett Favre

large_brettfavre_zps68944320.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users