iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#122 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

Apparently Samuel is a long shot to be signed because of age...and asking price.

Honestly they can sign TWO CB's if they wanted. Plenty of cap flexibility for that. They plan on going younger in the CB department in terms of replacements. Idzik and his glacial pace can be irritating though

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#123 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

I don't know if I buy the fact that $igning $amuel was rejected due to price. Salary doesn't usually get discussed prior to bringing in a vet. for a scheduled workout. We're over 20 million-dollars under cap, and we swung and missed on DRC & Davis.. and Revis & Cro. If I'm John Idzik.. I pay Asante whatever the hell he wants, because guess what? --should the Jets fail this season because of a 2nd rate secondary.. the egg falls on the face of Idzik, not Rex. Woody is in love with Ryan as it is. He will be less forgiving to Johnny boy, if the Jets suck because of CFL quality CB's. A carpenter is only as good as his tools. Rex has little blood on his hands when it comes to signing personnel.

..what I think the "Samuel call" was for, was to see what Asante's options are over the next couple weeks, and if he'll still be available in case a Jets trade falls through. THAT's where I think this situation is headed.. I think the Idzik will go and make a deal for Claiborne, Joseph, whoever.. and use Ellis, Barnes, etc. (where the Jets are deep) for trade bait. If the trade falls through, or if the asking price is too much - because teams know the Jets are tying to make a deal out of desperation, and are looking to take advantage of that.. that's when I think Samuel gets signed.

But I think the phone call was just to see if Asante is close to signing with anyone soon.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#124 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

Does Samuel have anything left?  I honestly don't know.  He only had one pick and four passes defended last season in 11 GP, but that could've been due to playing time.  The Falcons only gave up a 7th-rounder in 2012 to get him, for whatever that's worth, but just going by the numbers it looks like he was pretty good in 2013. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#125 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

The Bears just signed Holmes. Can't post a link this current moment, PFR reported it though!

#126 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,406 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

Well it took a year but it looks like Idzik's going to succeed in sandbagging Rex this time.  They couldn't cover a bed with a blanket, that's what happens when you have CFL corners and converted safeties.

Doesn't help that the Jets aren't interested in competing tonight.  Between Geno pulling a Sanchez, the stupid fighting after the play and our GREAT run defense getting outmuscled by tiny Gio Bernard...

Edited by NJDevs4978, 16 August 2014 - 06:50 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#127 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Refs have to knock it off with these flags or games are going to become unwatchable. Both us an Cinci yesterday. You can't throw the yellow out there every time there is a little lineman scrum. Hockey refs don't do it...

CB position needs to be reinforced from the outside. This is unacceptable at this point. And Kyle Wilson still can't turn his head around and look for the ball after all these years

Love what I see from the RB position. We are literally 4 deep. Richardson would be a tough cut if it got there (he's not PS squad eligible)

Geno looked pretty good despite no Decker.

Pryor looked very good. Recover a fumble, and delivered a very hard hit to jar a ball loose. Also very quick burst when lining up at the line of scrimmage

Our 2nd and 3rd teamers have looked good once again. Almost dominating. Leads me to believe that while the Jets have only meh 1st team talent...they are actually a lot deeper than other teams.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#128 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Love what I see from the RB position. We are literally 4 deep. Richardson would be a tough cut if it got there (he's not PS squad eligible)

This preseason has really showcased our stout running game. CJ2K had 60 yrds on 9 carries against Cincinnati, Powell had 40+ yrds on 4 carries.. and although Ivory didn't play, he rushed for about 20 yrds the week prior against Indy, playing only the 1st quarter.

I'm sure Ivory & Johnson will get most of the glory, but imo.. Bilal Powell is one of the best kept secrets in the NFL. He's still only 25 years old, blocks as good as anyone, never fumbles.. and is coming off a season of 700 yrds on only 170 attempts. With a 3-headed backfield as good as the Jets have, I would not be against seeing Wishbone\Wing-T formation, where all 3 RB's can be on the field at once. Couple that with great runners in Vick & Geno.. there's no reason why MM can't get VERY creative here, and create mismatches running the ball.

Edited by Beezer34, 19 August 2014 - 10:54 AM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#129 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

This preseason has really showcased our stout running game. CJ2K had 60 yrds on 9 carries against Cincinnati, Powell had 40+ yrds on 4 carries.. and although Ivory didn't play, he rushed for about 20 yrds the week prior against Indy, playing only the 1st quarter.

I'm sure Ivory & Johnson will get most of the glory, but imo.. Bilal Powell is one of the best kept secrets in the NFL. He's still only 25 years old, blocks as good as anyone, never fumbles.. and is coming off a season of 700 yrds on only 170 attempts. With a 3-headed backfield as good as the Jets have, I would not be against seeing Wishbone\Wing-T formation, where all 3 RB's can be on the field at once. Couple that with great runners in Vick & Geno.. there's no reason why MM can't get VERY creative here, and create mismatches running the ball.

yes that's one of the things I'm waiting for MM to unveil. I think it's probably under wraps in pre season but with guys like Cj and Powell (who is a good unheralded all purpose back) we can have a pretty lethal screen game.

#130 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

Couple of surprise releases by the Jets today. Jacoby Ford and Ras I-Dowling. Dowling because of how thin we are at CB (they may sign someone after a 2nd round of cuts) Hakim and Salas made Ford expendable.

#131 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,285 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Dmitri Patterson seems to have gone AWOL...
http://profootballta...partner=ya5nbcs
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#132 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

the whole afc east has been a mess for the past 10 years. how great it must feel to be the pats & no u will be spoted 5-6 wins every season

#133 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

Dmitri Patterson seems to have gone AWOL...
http://profootballta...partner=ya5nbcs

He's back with them. I have a friend who works for the Jets who said it was some sort of anxiety/panic attack...but who knows

#134 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

the whole afc east has been a mess for the past 10 years. how great it must feel to be the pats & no u will be spoted 5-6 wins every season

..must feel even better to be heckled at as cheaters everywhere and anywhere you go. :thumbsup:

#135 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

The Jets often get unfairly labeled as a consistently bad football team.  They have a way of failing memorably and embarrassingly when they do fail (Buttfumble, etc), but when you look at their overall record the past 17 seasons, they're not nearly as bad as they're made out to be:

10 winning seasons, 3 with .500 finishes, 4 losing seasons

7 playoff appearances, failed to win at least one playoff game in only 2 of those appearances.  Three AFC Title game appearances.   

Overall record of 142-130 in the regular season and 7-7 in the playoffs since the 1997 season. 

Part of the problem is they haven't had any big winning seasons (think 12+ regular seasons wins), outside of 1998.  Their winning seasons have mostly been of the 10-6 (3 times) and 9-7 (5 times) variety, which unfortunately don't usually get you division titles.  Jets have only won their division twice in that 17-year span (once with a 9-7 mark that came down to the common opponent tiebreaker).  But they're often treated like they've been awful during this time period when they clearly haven't been.  They're usually competitive and have come up with some surprise victories here and there.     

It's been a different story with the Dolphins and Bills.  The Dolphins have just one winning season in their last 8, and the Bills have one in their last 14 straight.    

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#136 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

The Jets often get unfairly labeled as a consistently bad football team.  They have a way of failing memorably and embarrassingly when they do fail (Buttfumble, etc), but when you look at their overall record the past 17 seasons, they're not nearly as bad as they're made out to be:

10 winning seasons, 3 with .500 finishes, 4 losing seasons

7 playoff appearances, failed to win at least one playoff game in only 2 of those appearances.  Three AFC Title game appearances.   

Overall record of 142-130 in the regular season and 7-7 in the playoffs since the 1997 season. 

Part of the problem is they haven't had any big winning seasons (think 12+ regular seasons wins), outside of 1998.  Their winning seasons have mostly been of the 10-6 (3 times) and 9-7 (5 times) variety, which unfortunately don't usually get you division titles.  Jets have only won their division twice in that 17-year span (once with a 9-7 mark that came down to the common opponent tiebreaker).  But they're often treated like they've been awful during this time period when they clearly haven't been.  They're usually competitive and have come up with some surprise victories here and there.     

It's been a different story with the Dolphins and Bills.  The Dolphins have just one winning season in their last 8, and the Bills have one in their last 14 straight.    

it hurts that we've had the juggernaut Patriots to deal with since 2001 (and even before 2001 they were good, though not this good. 

The old time narrative is that the Jets are a joke and a circus. That doesn't change really regardless of how well we do. Often fans lob those taunts and insults at the Jets while their franchises have been far far worse over the past 15-20 years.

If the Jets played in say...the NFC East since like 1998, they'd have more division titles...easier "paths" to super bowls (look at 2010 when after going 11-5 their road was Manning on the road, Brady on the road....oh and now enjoy Roethlisberger IN Pittsburgh) their history would've been much much different. 

of the last 9 playoff games we've played, 8 have been against future hall of fame qb's. While we've started guys that won't sniff the hall. That's a tough road.

The Jets next window of opportunity for a Super Bowl run I believe opens next year. NE will still win the division this year though the Jets certainly have a good wild card chance. The Jets did some nice things 2008-2012, but that window was ultimately squandered, much like 1997-2004 where things never broke right (and we had the wrong coach)

Edited by '7', 25 August 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#137 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

it hurts that we've had the juggernaut Patriots to deal with since 2001 (and even before 2001 they were good, though not this good. 

The old time narrative is that the Jets are a joke and a circus. That doesn't change really regardless of how well we do. Often fans lob those taunts and insults at the Jets while their franchises have been far far worse over the past 15-20 years.

If the Jets played in say...the NFC East since like 1998, they'd have more division titles...easier "paths" to super bowls (look at 2010 when after going 11-5 their road was Manning on the road, Brady on the road....oh and now enjoy Roethlisberger IN Pittsburgh) their history would've been much much different. 

of the last 9 playoff games we've played, 8 have been against future hall of fame qb's. While we've started guys that won't sniff the hall. That's a tough road.

The Jets next window of opportunity for a Super Bowl run I believe opens next year. NE will still win the division this year though the Jets certainly have a good wild card chance. The Jets did some nice things 2008-2012, but that window was ultimately squandered, much like 1997-2004 where things never broke right (and we had the wrong coach)

It really depends on what the Jets have in Geno, which is anyone's guess.  If he's basically an average QB, their defense needs to be Seattle good, which I don't think it can be.  The only other way I see it happening is if they somehow strike gold in the draft with a great receiver or tight end.  Maybe they have that in Amaro, but too early to tell. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#138 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

It really depends on what the Jets have in Geno, which is anyone's guess.  If he's basically an average QB, their defense needs to be Seattle good, which I don't think it can be.  The only other way I see it happening is if they somehow strike gold in the draft with a great receiver or tight end.  Maybe they have that in Amaro, but too early to tell. 

I would say I'm mostly sold on Geno. I like his work ethic, he's supposedly a very heavy student of the game when it comes to homework and film prep. He can make all the throws, he can run it, he's read defenses much better this pre-season

But yea, if he's just average and not at least "good" then it won't get the Jets very far. Idzik is building this team slowly though with an eye towards prolonged success. The running game and defensive line I believe will be terrific this year. Maybe next year is the year to bolster the secondary and grab another receiver. The Jets look very unbalanced this year. They may end up with the best defensive line in the game and one of the worst secondaries. They're also very well positioned when it comes to the cap.

fwiw Sudfeld has had a great camp. Everybody is looking towards Amaro but Sudfeld may surprise.

Edited by '7', 25 August 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#139 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

I would say I'm mostly sold on Geno. I like his work ethic, he's supposedly a very heavy student of the game when it comes to homework and film prep. He can make all the throws, he can run it, he's read defenses much better this pre-season

But yea, if he's just average and not at least "good" then it won't get the Jets very far. Idzik is building this team slowly though with an eye towards prolonged success. The running game and defensive line I believe will be terrific this year. Maybe next year is the year to bolster the secondary and grab another receiver. The Jets look very unbalanced this year. They may end up with the best defensive line in the game and one of the worst secondaries. They're also very well positioned when it comes to the cap.

fwiw Sudfeld has had a great camp. Everybody is looking towards Amaro but Sudfeld may surprise.

Other thing to keep in mind is that the Bills appear to be a team on the rise, especially if they have something with Watkins, and if EJ Manuel is decent this year.

Miami is anyone's guess.  I want to like Tannehill, but he's proven to be awful in those must-win/should win games.  They have a pretty good secondary, that might get better if one of the CBs they drafted last year turns out to be any good.  A good secondary can take your defense a long way.  Then you have to see if Dion Jordan turns out to be something better than Vernon Gholston or Aaron Maybin.

Unfortunately for everyone else in the AFC East, the Pats aren't going anywhere for at least the next three years.  I don't see anything in Brady's game that would show you that he can't hack it physically anymore, or that he won't be able to for the foreseeable future.  The league's desire to overprotect the quarterback means that the really good ones will have a much longer shelf life.   

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#140 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

Other thing to keep in mind is that the Bills appear to be a team on the rise, especially if they have something with Watkins, and if EJ Manuel is decent this year.

Miami is anyone's guess.  I want to like Tannehill, but he's proven to be awful in those must-win/should win games.  They have a pretty good secondary, that might get better if one of the CBs they drafted last year turns out to be any good.  A good secondary can take your defense a long way.  Then you have to see if Dion Jordan turns out to be something better than Vernon Gholston or Aaron Maybin.

Unfortunately for everyone else in the AFC East, the Pats aren't going anywhere for at least the next three years.  I don't see anything in Brady's game that would show you that he can't hack it physically anymore, or that he won't be able to for the foreseeable future.  The league's desire to overprotect the quarterback means that the really good ones will have a much longer shelf life.   

Well, Brady had his worst season in a while last year stat wise. His qb rating has been in a steady decline since 2010. But he is still miles ahead of what we've got (or Buffalo)

I don't know what to expect out of NE this year. They may well be in the Super Bowl again. They have a renewed focus on defense, but they're very "win now" when it comes to the ages of guys like Wilfork, Mankins, and Connolly. And who know what Revis is planning after this season. But I don't think in the NFL you can predict 3 years down the road. Except for Buffalo, I have no faith in anything they do.

Edited by '7', 25 August 2014 - 01:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users