72 replies to this topic

#21 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

Sharks can go a lot of ways to improve this team. I don't envy anyone trying to figure out how to do it. Firing Wilson would be a mistake. How often do you see a new GM being the missing piece or able to put together the final few puzzle pieces to get a team going.

Wilson has successfully built a very good hockey team that has had success for over a decade. Big off-season ahead.

Eventually you fall victim to the limits of your success. Wilson has built successful long haul regular season teams that get killed or collapse in the short series of playoffs. A fresh mind might be worth the risk. Wilson is definitely on a rope for next year even if he doesn't get the ax here.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

Yeah but I don't see it.  They both signed just 5 months ago at below market value and the team sees Thornton's value.  There were whispers Marleau was going to be moved even with a NMC two years ago but that didn't happen when he was even more under fire than Thornton today.  I can see Doug Wilson deciding to mortgage the future and trade some draft picks maybe even Hertl to try and win in the next two years but I don't see either of those guys leaving.

The biggest move this offseason is probably going to be firing McLellan which I am ambivalent about. 

I think Marleau and Thornton probably get another year, with pieces around them getting changed.  If they disappear during another first round exit again next season, I'm not sure how they both survive it...especially if both guys have good regular seasons, because that means someone would probably offer something pretty good to get one of them, especially if one of them is going to a team where he can be an excellent complementary player (think the Dallas and Detroit version of Brett Hull). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

My god the look on his face...

http://ftw.usatoday....he-nhl-playoffs

he looks like an old disoriented man who just lost his life savings
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#24 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

I don't think that's the way we will go. 

#25 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

I don't think that's the way we will go.

i would like to see gaborik here over stastny and whoever else has been brought up around here lately.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#26 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Nieto is a guy I would love from there and that is semi-realistic. Wouldn't mind shipping Gelinas out there

#27 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

If we can get him on a discount then absolutely. Who wouldnt want a ppg top line centerman. I dont care if he chokes in the playoffs..I just want to make the playoffs first.

#28 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

Thornton is on the downside of his career.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#29 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

Id trade a few picks and my soul to have pavelski or couture

I would die to get Couture

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#30 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

I would die to get Couture

Then you'd never get to see him play for the Devils.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#31 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Then you'd never get to see him play for the Devils.

It's obvious onddeck is our Jesus

#32 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

He died for our trades.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#33 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

duh. I'd just come back a few days later, tops

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#34 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

duh. I'd just come back a few days later, tops

hmm..i like the way this man thinks
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#35 CAdevsfan

CAdevsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:04 PM

I'd love to get Hertl--he's from Czech, he could get mentored by Patty and his idol Jagr.  Seems like a good fit to me!

#36 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

I'd love to get Hertl--he's from Czech, he could get mentored by Patty and his idol Jagr.  Seems like a good fit to me!

He's also one of the best super young players in the league. We'd have to give Schneider, Henrique and Merrill probably at least. And then they'd still say no probably

I'd take Jumbo any day of the week. He'd be fine in another relaxed atmosphere here like SJ and yeah maybe he's not amazing in the playoffs like Kopitar, but there's no reason we can't win with him as our #1 center. Remember in 03 when we had Gomez as our #1 who almost got traded and our #2 after Nieuwendyk got hurt was probably Pascal Rheaume or John Madden maybe? 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#37 CAdevsfan

CAdevsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

He's also one of the best super young players in the league. We'd have to give Schneider, Henrique and Merrill probably at least. And then they'd still say no probably

I know we'd have to sell the farm and the city to get him and we don't have the assets.  But since everyone was posting their wishful thinking, I just added mine.  :)

One positive thing about the Sharks is that over the past several years, they seem to have a pretty good farm system and have been able to identify good young talent.

#38 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

Joe's style would fit NJ but again... im opposed to send assets for a 35 years old guy... it would be yet another "quick fix" solution. I'd rather "sign" a quick fix, at least you're not losing assets.

If we're gonna trade to get someone, i'd want to get a young guy that we know we can rely on for awhile. We desperately needs to get younger. especially on the offence since a chunk of our best players will likely be gone in a few years.

www.SterioDesign.com

#39 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

I wouldn't mind going after a guy like Fleischmann from Florida. He's coming off an awful year and could probably be had for very cheap. I think he could be a great fit on the wing for Zajac and Jagr because up until this past season he was a .7 ppg type player. If it does work out he's also still relatively young. If it doesn't, I think he only has one more year on his deal. Either way, I don't want to see Lou giving up any significant assets unless we're returning a young guy the level of Evander Kane.

I want no part of Vanek or Gaborik. I can't see either of those two coming anywhere close to living up to their contract. Stasney would be great but I don't think we have a chance. If it isn't about the money, he'll either be an Av or Blue next year and if it is, someone like Tallon will throw an obscene amount of money at him.

As for Thornton, he's a nice player but I don't think he solves our biggest problem. We need guys who can actually finish when set up by Elias and Jagr. Getting Thornton would be like signing Scott Gomez in his prime to be that finisher. What the Devils would really have is another guy who could create great scoring opportunities for his teammates to squander. He'll also cost more than we should be giving up given his age and that we are supposedly re-tooling or whatever. If he were a lot younger it would be a different story.

#40 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

I'd like to get that Mackinnon guy from Avs too, I heard he's good.

Edited by Marshall, 04 May 2014 - 09:42 AM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users