502 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

It does blow, that's why I don't post there. But its interesting to read. And by posting that, I was merely pointing out that the 'rumor' was bullsh!t to begin with. So relax...

Cool, well it's too bad that you don't have a forum to post about it so you post about it here.  

Sorry, this is just something I've noticed over the last year and it's irritating.  The posters here are way better than the posters there.  (N.B. I read a fair about of HFboards during the Kovalchuk contract saga of 2010 + continued to read it once every month or two just to read some other perspectives - normally I'd make it about 5 minutes before reading something so stupid I had to leave).  I'd be all in favor of an njdevs.com 'Talk about HFboards here' thread, that way I don't have to read about anything that happens there.  And yes, I realize I've derailed this thread already, but if the thread is just gonna be 'talk about stuff they're talking about on HF', it won't be very good.  

Anyway, to get back on track, It's hard to know what might be realistic trades because the biggest trade chip NJ has also has a weird trade value right now - Adam Larsson is an unknown quantity and I imagine some teams think very highly of him and some think much less of him.  I never would've imagined the Leafs could get James Van Riemsdyk for Luke Schenn, but the league as a whole really has no clue how to value defense.  Does someone think Eric Gelinas can be another Dustin Byfuglien type?  That's just it though - his own team doesn't realize how good Byfuglien is and is moving him back to forward.  The league does a pretty good job with forwards but is utterly clueless when it comes to D (we'll see this when we see the 10 UFA D who sign for less money than Andrew MacDonald but are better than him).  

Edited by Triumph, 04 May 2014 - 05:00 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

With that said if we can get something descent that will help us up front iam ALL for trading larsson.. They barely have him playing up here anyway
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#23 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

Man I gotta admit... I'd love to be important enough in here one day to actually boss people around about what they can and cannot talk about.  :wink2:

In fairness, he is a mod. 

thing is... IMO Lou has to figure out whats gonna happen with Cory SOON. Cause if he's not in to re-sign, the best thing would be to trade him and find a replacement ASAP and if we wait late in the summer... chances are that our options are not great since most goalies would have signed somewhere else by then.

Then if we cant find anyone and have to keep him... then we start the season with him... god knows if we'll be able to trade for another guy? then if we approach the deadline and were a bubble team well again... its gonna be the "well we cant trade our #1 goalie when we're in the race for the playoffs bla bla bla" so we'll stick with him... then hope he'll change his mind and re-sign before free agency. Or......... well... you know... 

At this point, I'm just going to wait to see whether or not Cory re-signs before thinking beyond. 

That being said, one scenario I do wonder about is if Cory doesn't re-sign (and playing the "hmmmmm, what if" game as a fan is always shaky), does he go to Pittsburgh, and does MAF come here? 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#24 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

Ugh talk about getting the sh!t end of the stick..have schneider end up leaving us to go to pitts and we get stuck with MAF here..that would honestly just be some nj devils luck right there.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#25 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

Ugh talk about getting the sh!t end of the stick..have schneider end up leaving us to go to pitts and we get stuck with MAF here..that would honestly just be some nj devils luck right there.

I'm not saying I would be turning cartwheels over it (and I think this has a very small chance of actually happening)...but he's shown himself to be a durable and pretty good regular-season puck-stopper.  The playoff numbers are definitely worrisome though. 

One thing I don't think Lou would ever do if he had any interest in MAF (and I know that's definitely not Plan A) would be to overpay or get into a bidding war.  If some team out there decides to get stupid with MAF, Lou's not following suit, and I don't blame him.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

The best thing that could happen would be a Pittsburgh Cup win + Fleury re-signing.  I think Schneider can't hold out hope for Pittsburgh though, because he likely doesn't have a ton of options if that falls through.  Most teams have a goalie they like and/or is signed for a long time.  

It may be in Schneider's and NJ's best interest to sign him to a 3 year deal worth 24 million, something like that.  If the team is going south in 2 years he can be shopped.

In fairness, he is a mod. 

Nah, I'm not, and I hope no one is fooled by that - I was/am a chat mod, but I don't control anything on the board.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#27 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

The best thing that could happen would be a Pittsburgh Cup win + Fleury re-signing.  I think Schneider can't hold out hope for Pittsburgh though, because he likely doesn't have a ton of options if that falls through.  Most teams have a goalie they like and/or is signed for a long time.  

It may be in Schneider's and NJ's best interest to sign him to a 3 year deal worth 24 million, something like that.  If the team is going south in 2 years he can be shopped.

Yeah, there's risks involved.  And yeah, all it takes is Fleury re-signing with Pitt to kill that option for Cory. 

If Fleury ever reaches UFA status, his agent has two major cards to play:  health (he's been durable) and wins.  And his teams have twice reached the finals.  He could wind up with 500 wins if he continues to play on good teams.  I'm curious if there's that one GM who won't be able to help himself and offers MAF 6-7, despite the rough postseasons he's been prone to. 

I'd be surprised if Cory only signed for 3 years, but I guess it's not crazy to think he might be open to 4-6 years, as opposed to 7-8.

#30 FOREVER!

#28 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

has he ever showed any interest about going to pittsburg?...just wondering how this even got brought up as some type of possibility
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#29 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

has he ever showed any interest about going to pittsburg?...just wondering how this even got brought up as some type of possibility

The big name teams are always targets for big names. PITT, NYR, , PHI those are a few names that are always supposedly "in the mix."

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#30 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

It's more that MAF will become an UFA at the same time that Cory will...it lines up (not-so) nicely.  And let's face it, having the chance to play for a team that boasts two of the top offensive players in the NHL on it is a pretty nice draw...especially for a guy who got awful goal support this season.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 May 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#31 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

I threw this up in the Thornton thread but it's more appropriate here:

I think Tomas Flieschmann would be a worthwhile gamble. I know there are a lot of bigger names out there not coming off a horrible season but I think this is a real low risk high reward type move that we can do without giving up any decent assets. He could be a good addition as a wing on the Zajac/Jagr line. Previous to this season he was basically a .7 ppg player who has fallen out of favor in Florida.

#32 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

Lou needs to be dealing with Schneider and his contract extension now. I don't think a deal can actually be signed until 7/1 but Lou can certainly make attractive offers before then. If it turns out we yanked him around too much for a marginal backup goalie with a big mouth and he doesn't want to re-sign, we can easily recoup our top 10 pick in the draft with a single trade.

#33 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

Lou needs to be dealing with Schneider and his contract extension now. I don't think a deal can actually be signed until 7/1 but Lou can certainly make attractive offers before then. If it turns out we yanked him around too much for a marginal backup goalie with a big mouth and he doesn't want to re-sign, we can easily recoup our top 10 pick in the draft with a single trade.

That's a big wish. If Lou doesn't lock up Cory he's likely gone in free agency. Only way we get a top 10 draft pick is if we suck next year which is somewhat likely.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#34 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

That's a big wish. If Lou doesn't lock up Cory he's likely gone in free agency. Only way we get a top 10 draft pick is if we suck next year which is somewhat likely.

i think we have a chance to be a pretty different team next year from what we were this year.. again it all depends on what moves lou makes in free agency.. if he truely thinks the team he has is good enough to be a contender well then..not only is he senile but then yes we will suck..if he figures out a way to lock up 2 top forwards sign one and trade for one i think we could have the ability to be a lethal team.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#35 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

Again, you guys have led yourselves to believe that Cory is upset or pissed that he didn't get a lot of games this year is stupid and unrealistic.  Both 'Tenders understood the situation after that trade was made.   I made a post on another thread saying the same thing.   There are only 30 starting jobs available to an insane amount of goaltenders.  If you discover gold, you lock it the fvck down and put your name on it.  I'm understand the comparison is a stretch, but I'm of the opinion that Schneider doesn't want to fight for a #1 spot anymore.  He wants to be a #1 and the gold is sitting right in front of him.  I'm sure he's going to get the money that he asks for, he's a great goaltender, easily a top ten guy even after a rough year in NJ. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#36 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

Again, you guys have led yourselves to believe that Cory is upset or pissed that he didn't get a lot of games this year is stupid and unrealistic. Both 'Tenders understood the situation after that trade was made. I made a post on another thread saying the same thing. There are only 30 starting jobs available to an insane amount of goaltenders. If you discover gold, you lock it the fvck down and put your name on it. I'm understand the comparison is a stretch, but I'm of the opinion that Schneider doesn't want to fight for a #1 spot anymore. He wants to be a #1 and the gold is sitting right in front of him. I'm sure he's going to get the money that he asks for, he's a great goaltender, easily a top ten guy even after a rough year in NJ.

Cory holds all of the cards here. He can still test free agency to see who's willing to give him what he wants. Most people would view him as at least a top 15 goalie in the league. I think it's safe to say he would be made a starter in at least 10-15 other markets. Hell I'd bet Vancouver would love to have him back.

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 06 May 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#37 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

the only thing that makes me think cory will not want to sign here is if he feels and he realistically could feel like the team has nothing to offer him as far as a winning team.. kind of the same thing with ufa's coming here there is nothing to lure them here with
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#38 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

Nah, I'm not, and I hope no one is fooled by that - I was/am a chat mod, but I don't control anything on the board.

None the chat mods have forum abilities (close threads or delete posts etc.).

#39 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:25 AM

Maybe the Devils could go for a guy like Sven Baertschi. He was looking like a top prospect coming out of the 2011 draft, but he can't crack the Flames lineup (he did alright in the AHL this year at .7 p/g).  Maybe a change of scenery could be good for him. Although, it might be a really stupid move for the Flames to move him, with the way their team looks.

I admittedly don't know much about his game. Has anyone actually seen him play?

#40 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:05 AM

Maybe the Devils could go for a guy like Sven Baertschi. He was looking like a top prospect coming out of the 2011 draft, but he can't crack the Flames lineup (he did alright in the AHL this year at .7 p/g).  Maybe a change of scenery could be good for him. Although, it might be a really stupid move for the Flames to move him, with the way their team looks.

I admittedly don't know much about his game. Has anyone actually seen him play?

he wears a mean sweater

hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube....h?v=aDVGrzqf4go

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users