#401 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie:
So if cap-challenged team wants to free up space, it can (for example) trade player/contract and draft pick to BUF for lesser draft pick.
Please Lou... Please. We're begging you here...
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#402 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,721 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

But Lou signed Kovalchuk 4 seasons ago....so there.

Yep. Because free agents don't have a say over where they go. The only reason every top free agent didn't come to Jersey is because Lou didnt think of signing them. The Devils operate solely in a vacuum.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#403 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Yep. Because free agents don't have a say over where they go. The only reason every top free agent didn't come to Jersey is because Lou didnt think of signing them. The Devils operate solely in a vacuum.

I'm talking about the fact that someone always brings up the Kovy signing whenever we talk about big UFA signings. That was going on 5 years ago.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#404 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

I'm talking about the fact that someone always brings up the Kovy signing whenever we talk about big UFA signings. That was going on 5 years ago.

And last year signed 3 of the bigger forward free agents.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#405 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

Well, this answers my question- so it doesn't necessarily have to be today: Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice:
For those asking, teams can still buy out players by placing them on unconditional waivers tomorrow. Buyout period ends at 5 p.m. tomorrow.

#406 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

Jagr I'll give you, but I don't know about Ryder and Clowe being the bigger free agents out there. He overpaid for Clowe and Ryder is only good if he plays with a capable center.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#407 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Jagr I'll give you, but I don't know about Ryder and Clowe being the bigger free agents out there. He overpaid for Clowe and Ryder is only good if he plays with a capable center.

But they were amongst the top available forwards in free agency, which is what everyone wants Lou going after. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#408 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

But they were amongst the top available forwards in free agency, which is what everyone wants Lou going after.

Yeah but that doesn't fit the narrative that Lou is a bumbling, senile old fool who has absolutely no clue what he's doing anymore.

#409 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Yeah but that doesn't fit the narrative that Lou is a bumbling, senile old fool who has absolutely no clue what he's doing anymore.

Sorry. He should have just traded for Malkin. What a dummy. 

#410 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Sorry. He should have just traded for Malkin. What a dummy.

Just Malkin? If he trades for just Malkin he should be fired. I want Crosby too.

#411 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

They all signed BEFORE Kovy left tho. That changes a team when your top scorer just bail

www.SterioDesign.com

#412 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Gotta love when people are being trashed for not being satisfied with the downward trend of the team since the lockout. Hanging one's hat on 3 Cups is fine, however, when those Cups came in a completely different era of style of hockey, then using the lone run to the Finals as reasons for said trashing of other fans is an issue.

Look, people want to praise Lou for what he did in the past for this franchise, which is fine. But please stop a) bashing fans who are expecting more from a team that has not been adapting to the new NHL and b) are completely fed up watching young assets walking out the door due to horrendous prioritization of personnel.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#413 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

They all signed BEFORE Kovy left tho. That changes a team when your top scorer just bail

So Lou hasn't signed enough top free agents since Kovy left? Is that the supposition?
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#414 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Gotta love when people are being trashed for not being satisfied with the downward trend of the team since the lockout. Hanging one's hat on 3 Cups is fine, however, when those Cups came in a completely different era of style of hockey, then using the lone run to the Finals as reasons for said trashing of other fans is an issue.

Look, people want to praise Lou for what he did in the past for this franchise, which is fine. But please stop a) bashing fans who are expecting more from a team that has not been adapting to the new NHL and b) are completely fed up watching young assets walking out the door due to horrendous prioritization of personnel.

No one is saying that Lou should be bowed down to anymore, but I think some people are going over the top. I'm waiting to see what happens here. If he indeed let's Fayne walk, signs the Giontas, and doesn't buy-out/trade/LTIR/ one or both of the two dipsh!ts like slash and CP have been predicting, then I will voice my ultimate displeasure.

Edited by MadDog2020, 29 June 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#415 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

So Lou hasn't signed enough top free agents since Kovy left? Is that the supposition?

No im just saying we're not as an interesting destination anymore for free agents

www.SterioDesign.com

#416 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

No one is saying that Lou should be bowed down to anymore, but I think some people are going over the top. I'm waiting to see what happens here. If he indeed let's Fayne walk, signs the Giontas, and doesn't buy-out/trade/LTIR/ one or both of the two dipsh!ts like slash and CP have been predicting, then I will voice my ultimate displeasure.

Absolutely fair point. But there are others who are like, "Oh no! Lou is infallible! If you bash him, you're a moron!"

Whether it be here or twitter or even at the arena [when I used to be able to go], some people refuse to let go of the past in order to improve the future.

I, personally, have zero faith that either traffic cones will be moved. I also do not trust Lou will take care of business with Schneider. Lastly, I do not think our young defenders are being utilized effectively.

I just don't share the optimism that some do, or that I used to, when it comes to GM decisions.

Just my two cents.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#417 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

Jagr signed almost two weeks after Kovalchuk left.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#418 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

Absolutely fair point. But there are others who are like, "Oh no! Lou is infallible! If you bash him, you're a moron!"

Whether it be here or twitter or even at the arena [when I used to be able to go], some people refuse to let go of the past in order to improve the future.

I, personally, have zero faith that either traffic cones will be moved. I also do not trust Lou will take care of business with Schneider. Lastly, I do not think our young defenders are being utilized effectively.

I just don't share the optimism that some do, or that I used to, when it comes to GM decisions.

Just my two cents.

I don't think many people call Lou infallible. He makes mistakes like every other GM. The problem is that a lot of people jump all over him for his mistakes or miscalculations and then try to diminish his good moves. He's clearly in the middle of rebuilding this team and it will be his last one. He'll be gone possibly as soon as next year and I think he's trying to set this team up for the next person to step in.

Of course I disagree with some of his moves or non-moves, but to think that he doesn't want good players or scoring is just wrong.

I mean everyone is all over him about how bad the Devils were this year and they were STILL better than 10 teams!

#419 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

I guess we'll find out what happens within the next 48-72 hours then. The draft sucked but the real test is coming shortly. There has to be someone out there who can realistically make this team better than last year because the current squad ain't enough. Stastny might be too much and coming from COL to the NJD might be a downgrade.

#420 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:07 AM

I think the Gagner trade means that they don't think they can retain Vrbata.  I have the feeling Lou is throwing some dollar signs his way.  Interesting for Tampa Bay. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users