502 replies to this topic

#61 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

Like others said, pass on Kovalchuk. Dude isn't even tearing up the KHL and has been less than impressive since he hurt his back in the 2012 playoffs

#62 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:40 PM

According to Bob McKenzie Jason Spezza is available from Ottawa, it would take an arm and a leg to get him, but that's a hell of a player right there.

25smul5.png

#63 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

According to Bob McKenzie Jason Spezza is available from Ottawa, it would take an arm and a leg to get him, but that's a hell of a player right there.

He was a -26 last season and apparently has been criticized for poor defensive play at times in Ottawa.  Seems like things have just run their course there. 

He's a UFA after next season, which is interesting, in that he's playing for a contract, and since he'll be 32 after next season ends, he'll probably be looking for one last long-term deal.  It will also be interesting to see both what Ottawa is looking to get, and what teams are willing to give up.  I have a feeling there's going to be a bit of a gap there.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 12 May 2014 - 06:44 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#64 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

He was a -26 last season and apparently has been criticized for poor defensive play at times in Ottawa.  Seems like things have just run their course there. 

He's a UFA after next season, which is interesting, in that he's playing for a contract, and since he'll be 32 after next season ends, he'll probably be looking for one last long-term deal.  It will also be interesting to see both what Ottawa is looking to get, and what teams are willing to give up.  I have a feeling there's going to be a bit of a gap there.

He also has a fragile back. i think this would wind up being another Clowe situation.  (constantly on the shelf-might play half the games)  Talented sure, we don't have much to give up.  He has a big cap hit as well

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#65 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

Like others said, pass on Kovalchuk. Dude isn't even tearing up the KHL and has been less than impressive since he hurt his back in the 2012 playoffs

yeah but which of our players would go to the KHL and tear up there? lol Kovy was our top guy. We really dont have anything better than him in term of goal scoring

www.SterioDesign.com

#66 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

yeah but which of our players would go to the KHL and tear up there? lol Kovy was our top guy. We really dont have anything better than him in term of goal scoring

That's not the point. Kovalchuk would've had 11 more years left and is clearly deteriorating. Getting away with the light recapture penalty is a godsend.

#67 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,079 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

In the 3 full seasons that Kovalchuk was here, the Devils finished 30th, 11th, and 28th in goal scoring. 

I don't want Spezza.  The Devils don't have the kind of package to get him.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#68 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

How many of them would be paid handsomely because they were SUPPOSED to tear it up there?  Kovy was paid insane money because SKA thought he'd own that league.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#69 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

I don't expect Spezza to get the Sens a lot. Surely less than what the Sens gave up for Bobby Ryan. 

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#70 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

If anyone eligible came over from the Sens I'd prefer it would be Michalek.

#71 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

If anyone eligible came over from the Sens I'd prefer it would be Michalek.

Double yes on Michalek, but I think he might cost more than Spezza, as he is on the way out and Michalek is in his prime

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#72 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:34 AM

Pass on Michalek.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#73 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

Double yes on Michalek, but I think he might cost more than Spezza, as he is on the way out and Michalek is in his prime

Michalek is a UFA this year. Anyone can have him for the right price. 

#74 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Michalek is a UFA this year. Anyone can have him for the right price. 

So he is, the UFA market isnt as bad as I thought it was when I looked last

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#75 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

Resign schneider long term sign paul stastny long term ( give the man his money) dont put a single dollars on vanek and sign miroslav satan to a cheap contract because it his destiny lol ( joke aside je impress me in the woŕld championship)
Oh get rid of salvador or buy out volchenkov

#76 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Jag+Elias+Michalek=Czech Cashing Line!

#77 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:09 AM

Resign schneider long term sign paul stastny long term ( give the man his money) dont put a single dollars on vanek and sign miroslav satan to a cheap contract because it his destiny lol ( joke aside je impress me in the woŕld championship)Oh get rid of salvador or buy out volchenkov

I've always wanted to see Satan in a Devs sweater for this reason as well. How could we not ever have him on our team? It is a match made in.... Err.... You know where.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#78 mfitz804

mfitz804

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

Ryan Miller has become available. Do you see him as an option if Schneider intends to leave? I guess the timing is off because Cory doesn't need to make his decision yet.

#79 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:05 AM

Not sure whether Setaguchi is worth pursuing.  He was a healthy scratch in Winnapeg for 4 out of the last 5 games.  I heard yesterday no chance he'll resign with them (Jets), and it's mutual.  He is a righty which we could use.  But how much of a reclamation project would he be? 

#80 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

Ryan Miller has become available. Do you see him as an option if Schneider intends to leave? I guess the timing is off because Cory doesn't need to make his decision yet.

I don't think so, given that the timing isn't quite right (like you mentioned).  Unless Cory makes it clear to Lou he won't be re-signing ever, I guess.

Plus I'd rather Lou gives a fat goalie contract to Cory than Miller, obviously.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 20 May 2014 - 09:39 AM.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users