502 replies to this topic

#121 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

Stastny needs to be priority number one, and am starting to think our trade/UFA target should be Bobby Ryan for the year after. It seems no one wants to stay in Ottawa, why would he?

What is the highest offer the Devils should give to Stastny, assuming that it's even in the cards, and that actual dollars aren't an issue?  I guess I would reluctantly go as a high as $7.5 AAV for seven years.   

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#122 William D'Aquila

William D'Aquila

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

That's true of many players in the NHL unfortunately.

I love how these rumors start.

#123 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

I love how these rumors start.

Not a rumor.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#124 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

Yes, no one wants to play here. We're a miserable franchise with no hope and owners who have no money now. The sky is falling. Might as well pack it up. :rolleyes: Ya know, I'm really sick of the unending negativity. If you wanna root for a sh!tty franchise, trying being a fvcking Dolphins fan. Better yet, go talk to some of the Mets fans on here. I swear, some of the fans on this board have NO CLUE what its like to go through a down time with a franchise. This is nothing. Most fans should be so blessed after all the success we've had.

Edited by MadDog2020, 19 June 2014 - 03:31 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#125 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

Yes, no one wants to play here. We're a miserable franchise with no hope and owners who have no money now. The sky is falling. Might as well pack it up. :rolleyes:

Not saying that. There was a poll of players conducted several years ago. Devils were in the bottom 10 of least desirable teams.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#126 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

Not saying that. There was a poll of players conducted several years ago. Devils were in the bottom 10 of least desirable teams.

Source?

Devils have never had trouble luring UFAs if the price is was right.

And it's not like players are hesitant to return.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#127 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

No one said NHL players were that bright.

#128 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

Source?

Devils have never had trouble luring UFAs if the price is was right.

And it's not like players are hesitant to return.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I can't recall where I read it, but I do remember reading it somewhere because I was kind of shocked that such a successful organization wasn't held in higher regard.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#129 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

I can't recall where I read it, but I do remember reading it somewhere because I was kind of shocked that such a successful organization wasn't held in higher regard.

See my above post. They were probably polling such brain surgeons as JVR and Bobby Ryan.

#130 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,904 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

Sigh.  See, this is a dumb survey.  The question was, what team would you least like to be traded to, and the Devils were high up on the list.  Of course this must mean that some people have said bad things about the organization.  However, there's several things at play here -

1:  I don't think players have a ton of teams where they wouldn't like to go.  So choosing between teams you wouldn't want to go to is like an anti-minefield 

2:  With that in mind, I imagine there are players who have long hair and/or beards where it's like okay I don't want to go to New Jersey.

Which is of course fine.  But don't make it sound like this is one of the least popular destinations based on that survey.  And look at how many players have come back. 

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#131 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

I think it was an NHLPA player's poll.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#132 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

See my above post. They were probably polling such brain surgeons as JVR and Bobby Ryan.

Exactly. It depends what kind of person these players are. NHL players range from 18 to 43 at the moment. A young guy who wants to be out partying will have a different reaction to Lou's rules than a family man in his thirties who might appreciate a more structured environment.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#133 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

You have to think we have the reputation around the league as being a low scoring, defensive system team. IMO it's not hard to believe that a lot of players would rather play for an exciting team and get a lot of points. It takes a special kind of player to want to play for a team like NJ. Should make you appreciate guys like Elias even more.

#134 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

You have to think we have the reputation around the league as being a low scoring, defensive system team. IMO it's not hard to believe that a lot of players would rather play for an exciting team and get a lot of points. It takes a special kind of player to want to play for a team like NJ. Should make you appreciate guys like Elias even more.

I think this is what we have going for us in the Schneider situation. Aside from last year's circus, can't see him finding a better situation as a goalie anywhere else. He has to kinda get the feeling that the Devils will add years to his career, it's that simple.

#135 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

Exactly. It depends what kind of person these players are. NHL players range from 18 to 43 at the moment. A young guy who wants to be out partying will have a different reaction to Lou's rules than a family man in his thirties who might appreciate a more structured environment.

I don't think anyone really likes Lou's structured environment or some of the stricter things he does. Even appreciate could be a stretch. These guys are adults and don't love to be treated like children. The question becomes are Lou's rules enough to make you not want to come. They probably shouldn't,, but for people who don't know exactly how things work...it might leave them with other options.

Edited by devilsrule33, 19 June 2014 - 01:30 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#136 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

Considering every big name player only wants to go to the Rangers anyway (Nash, MSL and now Thornton), everyone else 2-30 you might as well draw lots to see where they slot in behind the bright lights of MSG :P

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 June 2014 - 01:34 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#137 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Considering every big name player only wants to go to the Rangers anyway (Nash, MSL and now Thornton), everyone else 2-30 you might as well draw lots to see where they slot in behind the bright lights of MSG :P

Big Joe wants to go to NYR?

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#138 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

Big Joe wants to go to NYR?

You mean No-Show Choke-Artist Loser Joe? Yeah he does. Apparently Doug MacLean mentioned it yesterday. Since Thornton is a breathing, walking, talking example of 'the agony of defeat', he'd make a great Ranger.

#139 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

You mean No-Show Choke-Artist Loser Joe? Yeah he does. Apparently Doug MacLean mentioned it yesterday. Since Thornton is a breathing, walking, talking example of 'the agony of defeat', he'd make a great Ranger.

Come on MD2020, tell us how you really feel.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#140 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

I think this is what we have going for us in the Schneider situation. Aside from last year's circus, can't see him finding a better situation as a goalie anywhere else. He has to kinda get the feeling that the Devils will add years to his career, it's that simple.

Yeah gotta agree with that. I would think that NJ would be a prime spot for goalies and defenders. It's just hard to get those big point producers to want to play here when they know their stats will drop. Hell we even tried to change how Kovy played the game when he got here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users