502 replies to this topic

#141 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Considering every big name player only wants to go to the Rangers anyway (Nash, MSL and now Thornton), everyone else 2-30 you might as well draw lots to see where they slot in behind the bright lights of MSG :P

Thornton has said to media that he wants to stay in San Jose and that he doesn't want to be traded.  The quote was something along the lines of, as long as the fans want me here, I want to be here. 

Edited by RizzMB30, 19 June 2014 - 01:59 PM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#142 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

And here's the rumor about Loser Joe: http://nyrangersblog...he-rangers.html
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#143 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,045 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

And here's the rumor about Loser Joe: http://nyrangersblog...he-rangers.html

"Loser Joe" has a right not to be flexible. His extension hasn't even kicked in. I'm sure team commitments were made. Now the Sharks are looking to trade him? He has a right to be as specific as he wants. I can see why he has interest in the Rangers. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#144 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

The problem is that the Rangers don't really have much to trade at this point for a player like Thornton. No first round pick this year or the next. Outside of JT Miller and perhaps Buchovich, they don't have prospects that other teams might covet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#145 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

Yeah gotta agree with that. I would think that NJ would be a prime spot for goalies and defenders. It's just hard to get those big point producers to want to play here when they know their stats will drop. Hell we even tried to change how Kovy played the game when he got here.

Kovy's game needed to be changed and rounded out.  He came from a franchise where they only seemed interested in how many points he could put up, as the expense of just about everything else.  I (and many others) remember being surprised at how raw he was in many aspects of the game when he first came here.  If Lemaire hadn't worked with him, I think his body of work as a Devil would've been a lot worse. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#146 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

The problem is that the Rangers don't really have much to trade at this point for a player like Thornton. No first round pick this year or the next. Outside of JT Miller and perhaps Buchovich, they don't have prospects that other teams might covet.

I hope they do pick him up for exactly this reason. They have already mortgaged their future for what amounts to nothing, they might as well keep digging the hole deeper.

If they don't win a cup before Hank starts to decline I could see them reverting to the perpetual losers they were in the late 90s and early 00s with nothing to show for it.

Crossing my fingers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118, 19 June 2014 - 02:19 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#147 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

Good let Sather send Kreider or Zuccarello + to San Jose just to bring in a "big" name again and totally mortgage the future

#148 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Kovy's game needed to be changed and rounded out.  He came from a franchise where they only seemed interested in how many points he could put up, as the expense of just about everything else.  I (and many others) remember being surprised at how raw he was in many aspects of the game when he first came here.  If Lemaire hadn't worked with him, I think his body of work as a Devil would've been a lot worse. 

Yeah he was definitely a better hockey player when he left NJ. I just think that from the player's point of view, especially a guy like Spezza, a defensive system team is not what they're looking for. And we've had that rep for years. We usually get the bigger names after they hit 35. Lately it seems like all of the UFA's we get are projects. 

#149 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

a package of hagelin, jt miller would be a good start for the rangers. i think they could make something work.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#150 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,276 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

"Loser Joe" has a right not to be flexible. His extension hasn't even kicked in. I'm sure team commitments were made. Now the Sharks are looking to trade him? He has a right to be as specific as he wants. I can see why he has interest in the Rangers. 

I wouldn't exactly blame him for holding the Sharks' feet to the fire if they try to Holmgren him (deal him before the extension kicks in)...but I'm just sick of all these guys only wanting to play for the Rangers.  WTF makes the Rangers so special compared to the Kings/Hawks/Bruins/etc where all these players can't wait to go there?  I've never seen a rash of big-name players wind up forcing their way to one team like this.

And I don't want to hear about Thornton and Nash being buddy buddy either, Thornton has been in the league 15 years, he doesn't have any other friends?

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 June 2014 - 03:28 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#151 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

I wouldn't exactly blame him for holding the Sharks' feet to the fire if they try to Holmgren him (deal him before the extension kicks in)...but I'm just sick of all these guys only wanting to play for the Rangers. WTF makes the Rangers so special compared to the Kings/Hawks/Bruins/etc where all these players can't wait to go there? I've never seen a rash of players wind up forcing their way to one team.

C'mon Has, you know the answer to that... BROADWAY BRAH!!!! BRIGHT LIGHTS BRAH!!!! TWINKLE IN THE EYE BRAH!!!! WORLD'S MOST FAMOUS RENOVATED ARENA BRAH!!!! (BTW, did you know it was renovated?!!!!).

Edited by MadDog2020, 19 June 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#152 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

Someone should seriously start looking into collusion by teams like Philly and New York. No matter how many careers these teams ruin, no matter how many disappointing postseasons these teams have, everyone wants to go to Philly or New York. 

I feel like these two teams are dicking around the league, especially New York. Sports agencies are usually either in Toronto or New York, or if they're not there, then business trips to New York are obviously a regular thing.

Can't help but think there's a birdie in everyone's ear every year that so many people want to go to Philly or New York season after season.

Edited by DJ Eco, 19 June 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#153 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

Someone should seriously start looking into collusion by teams like Philly and New York. No matter how many careers these teams ruin, no matter how many disappointing postseasons these teams have, everyone wants to go to Philly or New York. 

I just heard from EJ Hradek that Stasny would fit in New York.  Bleck. 

#154 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

Is Jonas Hiller a possibility?

#155 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

Didn't know he played LW.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#156 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

I'd be willing to take a chance on him, but I think he might have a very hard time finding a starting job too.

#157 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

Carolina has named Detroit assistant Bill Peters as their new head coach: http://mweb.cbssport...anes-head-coach

Edited by MadDog2020, 19 June 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#158 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,045 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

The Thornton stuff sounds like a lot of BS. Not really worth discussing unless someone other than The Rangers Blog brings it up.

It doesn't really make sense to me and a little early for such a demand to come out anyway. These West Coast hockey players don't want to go to NYC, and I imagine the last thing Thornton wants to do is leave.

Edited by devilsrule33, 19 June 2014 - 04:37 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#159 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

Ducks are not offering him a contract. Might be an effective backup if he is willing.

#160 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

Winnik is available as well

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users