Photo

Confronting the Nightmare - UPDATE: NIGHTMARE OVER, KINGS WIN!!

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#41 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,756 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

It certainly didn't help. But yeah running goalies and taking interference penalties seems like a good way to come back in a series. Certainly beats doing things like getting shots on goal and scoring chances.

I'm not saying don't get shots on goal and scoring chances- I'm saying the Queen is in God-mode right now, and he is the type of goalie who doesn't like traffic and activity near the crease. There's nothing wrong with going hard to the net and running him and trying to get him rattled. Furthermore, the Habs need to create waaay more traffic in front of him- he sees seemingly every shot.

can i come?

Yes, all are welcome on the coffee farm lol- this area will be a hellhole if they win it all.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#42 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,328 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:25 PM

I've really been trying to put the thought of the Rangers winning it in the back of my mind but it's hard to keep out. What makes it horrible for me is my brother is a die hard Rangers fan so I know if they win it, I will never hear the end of it (I still hear about 94 but at least I can make fun of that being 20 years ago).

Even my extended family that never watches hockey is on the Rangers bandwagon now. At a wedding a few weeks ago one of them asked me (seriously) if I would be pulling for the Rangers with the Devils out since "they are the local team." I don't know what I'm going to do if the Kings or Blackhawks choke against them.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#43 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

I've really been trying to put the thought of the Rangers winning it in the back of my mind but it's hard to keep out. What makes it horrible for me is my brother is a die hard Rangers fan so I know if they win it, I will never hear the end of it (I still hear about 94 but at least I can make fun of that being 20 years ago).

Even my extended family that never watches hockey is on the Rangers bandwagon now. At a wedding a few weeks ago one of them asked me (seriously) if I would be pulling for the Rangers with the Devils out since "they are the local team." I don't know what I'm going to do if the Kings or Blackhawks choke against them.

Is your brother watching every game at Buffalo Wild Wings in Watchung?  I can imagine so.

I remember back in 2012 literally within a minute of Henrique scoring in game 6 he right away went to talking about the Yankees and acted like his previous month's worth of trash talking never happened.  I made sure he heard it lol.

#44 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

For whatever reason, this reminds me of an interview with Dennis Leary back in '94, I believe on Nightline.  At that time, he was just getting big, and he was doing commercials for the NHL on espn.  Basically, he's asked that isn't he thrilled that the Rangers won the Cup, to which he responds that he's a Bruins fan and hopes it takes another 50 years for Rags to win another.

Basically, you have the everyday media also believing that the Rangers are the end all be all and assuming that everyone is rooting for the Rangers, a one percent kind of organization if there ever was one.  We will never hear the end of this. 

My only hope is that Bill DeBlasio whips out some of his class warfare rhetoric and says that the city should not be paying for a parade that will be attended by rich hockey fans.  Bill if you're reading this, I will give a nice donation to your campaign and stop complaining about my taxes if you do this.

Edited by Daniel, 20 May 2014 - 04:38 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#45 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,328 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Is your brother watching every game at Buffalo Wild Wings in Watchung?  I can imagine so.

I remember back in 2012 literally within a minute of Henrique scoring in game 6 he right away went to talking about the Yankees and acted like his previous month's worth of trash talking never happened.  I made sure he heard it lol.

He watches at his place because he's usually too nervous to watch it anywhere else. It sucks since we usually watch the playoffs together but this year I've had to avoid him.

I always like seeing the trash talk he gets whenever the Rangers lose. I'll give him credit since he gives it out and takes it without complaining. 2012 was awesome though.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#46 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,756 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

That sucks Fiesty... Thankfully I don't have any Rags fans in my immediate family- my brother-in-law is a Bruins fan. My cousin is a big Rags fan, but I don't see him that much- maybe twice, three times a year. I have a bunch of friends that are Rags fans though, so my Facebook feed has been tough to look at the last couple of weeks.

#47 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

First of all, MTL can come back and win this series. Rangers blow at the library garden. Secondly, even if they do make the finals, they will get SMOKED by the Chi/LA.

Yes, all are welcome on the coffee farm lol- this area will be a hellhole if they win it all.

Sounds like a cult lol...farm of tears.

#48 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,919 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

I'm not saying don't get shots on goal and scoring chances- I'm saying the Queen is in God-mode right now, and he is the type of goalie who doesn't like traffic and activity near the crease. There's nothing wrong with going hard to the net and running him and trying to get him rattled. Furthermore, the Habs need to create waaay more traffic in front of him- he sees seemingly every shot.

The Habs have plenty of players who do this - Gallagher, Pacioretty, even Vanek, and on and on.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#49 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

The icing on the cake will be us drafting 30.  The SC winner's slot...

#50 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

The icing on the cake will be us drafting 30.  The SC winner's slot...

Is this sarcastic? The SC winner will draft 29.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#51 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

I dread a Rangers-Kings final.  I think I'll be rooting for nuclear winter in that case.

Rangers-Blackhawks wouldn't be too bad.  I mean, the 'Hawks are getting a bit tiresome, but at least I can handle them winning, unlike the Kings.

Habs vs. anyone would be ideal.  I'd be pulling for Montreal there (sorry, Sterio :P), but even if the Western Conference wins the Cup, at least I'd have enjoyed the Finals more.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#52 point

point

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

I go to bed every night with a NYR fan whom I hauled to CAA for THREE SCF. She hasn't given me any grief over the NJD, and I watch the NYR as a fairly disinterested observer.
Why are so many posters in such a pantytwist over theRags? Get over it!
2 C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2

#53 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

I dread a Rangers-Kings final.  I think I'll be rooting for nuclear winter in that case.

Rangers-Blackhawks wouldn't be too bad.  I mean, the 'Hawks are getting a bit tiresome, but at least I can handle them winning, unlike the Kings.

Habs vs. anyone would be ideal.  I'd be pulling for Montreal there (sorry, Sterio :P), but even if the Western Conference wins the Cup, at least I'd have enjoyed the Finals more.

I've seen a few people really dreading the Kings in the Final. Any specific reason other than they are the team that beat the Devils in the Cup Finals?

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#54 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

I go to bed every night with a NYR fan whom I hauled to CAA for THREE SCF. She hasn't given me any grief over the NJD, and I watch the NYR as a fairly disinterested observer.

I'm sure opinions would be less strong if their likelihood of getting laid increased after each ranger won

#55 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,756 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

So because your wife is a Rangers fan who doesn't give you grief over the Devils, we should all get over the Rangers likely going to the Finals? Got it. Glad that's cleared up.

#56 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,328 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

You're right. All Rangers fans are just like your significant other. We are all crazy to think that any Ranger fan would ever give a Devil fan crap. To be honest this situation is a good one for us Devils fans that are surrounded by more Ranger fans than Devils fans. Ranger fans always take the high road.

#57 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,696 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

Except I'd argue that series was largely lost because the Rangers owned the Devils that year - they beat the devils, what, 6 or 7 times in the regular season?  I don't think the Devils were winning that series one way or the other.

They especially weren't winning that series with Marty being awful.  They were actually starting to get to Lundqvist a little the last three games of the series but Marty was just so bad it didn't matter.  He himself was probably a bit psyched out by the Avery antics to a degree, and he played 77 games that year which was ridiculous but somewhat neccesary to get that sorry Devil team into the playoffs.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 20 May 2014 - 09:38 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#58 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,696 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

You're right. All Rangers fans are just like your significant other. We are all crazy to think that any Ranger fan would ever give a Devil fan crap. To be honest this situation is a good one for us Devils fans that are surrounded by more Ranger fans than Devils fans. Ranger fans always take the high road.

Not to mention the local media, which acts like hockey doesn't exist unless it's the Rangers making a run then they all hop on the bandwagon.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 20 May 2014 - 09:40 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#59 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

This is cathartic. I taught my boys 2 Golden Rules in the Leeds home: One was politcal.....(go figure) and the other was that they could root for any team in any sport, EXCEPT, they HATE the Rangers. Their good boys, they hate the Rangers. Like Maddog, my Facebook page has exploded with my a-hole friends (whom I like very much), but this is just too close for comfort right now. Montreal has to make the Blueskirts a little uncomfortable. This is why you MUST get in the dance, there is no reason this couldn't be our boys........
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#60 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

...........They are.............