Photo

Confronting the Nightmare - UPDATE: NIGHTMARE OVER, KINGS WIN!!

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#121 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,783 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:52 PM

It's all setting up for them though...the Hawks and Kings are beating each other up and the Kings will probably go to the Finals with as many games played or even one more.  Or the Hawks drain themselves coming back from 3-1 and have zero rest while the Rags get five days off before Game 1 and another two off before Game 2.

If the Kings win tomorrow, they'll have five days of rest before Game 1.  That should be enough time to make fatigue negligible.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#122 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:15 AM

20fe3rc.jpg

forever

#123 KovalClutch

KovalClutch

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:43 AM

Tonight, it became real.. Lets go Blackhawks/Kings.

Even though I still cannot stomach the Kings. It's infinitely better than the Rangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#124 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

Woe is us now...

Meh, what are you going to do?  The nature of sports is cyclical.  Hopefully, you get to root for a team like ours, where the truly awful down cycles are either nearly non-existent, or relatively short-lived (we'll see how long this one lasts, but at least in among the three non-playoff seasons was a memorable Cup run).  In a perfect world (my version, anyway), the Rangers would suck every year.  But in today's NHL, it's hard to be hapless season after season after season, unless you have a lot of drafts go belly-up, insanely rotten luck, or your front office is constantly making awful decisions.  And with the playoffs having more of a crapshoot feel now than ever, it's all about getting hot (with a little luck thrown in) at the right time...home ice and seedings simply don't mean a whole hell of a lot.  In general the Rangers are playing pretty well right now, and though the circumstances are clearly very tragic, St. Louis losing his mother seems to have somehow brought those players together...not in a "Let's win one for St. Louis and his mom!" way, but the way his teammates were there for him just seems to have brought them together and made them closer, and that appears to be helping them on the ice. 

As much as I hate the idea, if the Rangers do win the Cup, so be it, but like others have alluded to, I don't want to hear comparisons to '94.  Those teams are nothing alike...just let the 2014 bunch be the 2014 bunch without trying to create artificial parallels for the sake of manufacturing a storyline that isn't there.  And I also don't want to hear anything about what a "genius" Glen Sather is, and how he never lost it after all of these years.  Glen Sather has largely been a bad GM in his Ranger tenure, and I'm going to guess his earlier Ranger track record would've gotten him fired from at least 20 other organizations, if not more.  No one has a 14-year-or-so plan to win a Cup. 

Sometimes you get some random luck too.  You don't draft a goalie in the 7th round (205th overall) thinking you've found your franchise netminder.  Just like the New England Patriots got lucky with Tom Brady (6th round, 199th overall), the Rangers struck gold with Lundqvist.  I'm not knocking them for it...more just saying that I don't want to hear revisionist historians now make it sound like Sather knew something everyone else didn't.  If Sather or anyone else know Lundqvist had a definite future as a reliable top-tier #1 goalie, no way anyone takes a chance on him slipping through their fingers when he's there for the taking in the 3rd round, 4th round, etc. 

But enough of that...I don't want to go into pure "sour grapes" mode.  Yeah, the Rags are in the SCF.  Yeah, I hate that they are.  Yeah, I hate that the pendulum has swung the other way.  I'm not going to start spewing accolates, but at the same time, I don't want to now start downplaying or minimizing what the Rangers have done to make me feel better about myself or the Devils.  The Rangers have accomplished what they've accomplished, and all of the "yeah but"s we try to attach to what they've done won't change anything.  They faced who they faced and they beat them.   

For me, now it's about wondering what the Devils have to do to get back to where they were...actually, in today's NHL, it's what can the Devils do to get themselves back into the playoffs (where seemingly anything can happen)?  I'll always hate the Rangers and the majority of their fans for the reasons I've stated multiple times, but now, instead of worrying about them (though I'll be rooting VERY hard for their SCF opponent), I'm going to concern myself with how do the Devils get back to being what they were (with new faces), regardless of the amount of time it takes them to get there.  Hopefully that starts with Lou NOT re-signing Gio and Marty.            

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 May 2014 - 06:59 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#125 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

Pretty sure I'm living in Hell right now...

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#126 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

For me, now it's about wondering what the Devils have to do to get back to where they were...actually, in today's NHL, it's what can the Devils do to get themselves back into the playoffs (where seemingly anything can happen)?  I'll always hate the Rangers and the majority of their fans for the reasons I've stated multiple times, but now, instead of worrying about them (though I'll be rooting VERY hard for their SCF opponent), I'm going to concern myself with how do the Devils get back to being what they were (with new faces), regardless of the amount of time it takes them to get there.  Hopefully that starts with Lou NOT re-signing Gio and Marty.            

Very much agreed with all the bolded.  In response to the first bolded, I think we were close this year, the defense had growing pains this year that they are trying to get through and I think they took a step forward in terms of developing.  If Marty or Schneider were able to steal a few more games, maybe playoffs.  In a positive light, we have a good top pairing in Greene and Fayne, 3 brooding youngsters in Gelinas, Merril, and Larsson, throw in Salvador, and Volchie.  My expectations of next year are some of our young forwards to take a similar step forward and hopefully they can pull off playoffs.  We had the same situation when Zajac and Parise were growing into NHL players.  The team has had a history of strong drafting and smart trading to fill in those gaps where drafting failed.  My hope is that more recent drafting will put a few quality forwards into roster either this year, or next year and that we aren't years away from having a capable offense.  If the team has a rough start coming out of the gates next season, I see Lou flipping one of the young defensemen for a forward, but I would be surprised of something like that happens this offseason. 

I'd welcome Carter back with open arms, has always been hard working and his play really stood out towards the end of the season when we had players going down from injuries.  Bernier was pretty bad, and Stephen Gionta was Stephen Gionta.  Gionta is likely to be back and I'm not going to be happy about it. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#127 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

At the very least, we're in for at least 20+ years of 2014 programming.  They still replay Knicks 94 playoff games and they didn't even win the damn thing.  Just glad we weren't involved in them getting to where they are.  

gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#128 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,044 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

At the very least, we're in for at least 20+ years of 2014 programming. They still replay Knicks 94 playoff games and they didn't even win the damn thing. Just glad we weren't involved in them getting to where they are.

No doubt. Even if they don't win the Cup, the NY media and MSG and the Rag fans will try and spin this into some legendary run and try and tell the world why we should care so much that 'THE RANGIZ MADE THE FINALS BRAH!!!!!' It'll be force-fed like 94 and all the Rag fans will insist that this is the most important run to the Finals in hockey history because Rag fans gonna Rag fans 'cause they're Rag fans.

Edited by MadDog2020, 30 May 2014 - 11:55 AM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#129 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

At the very least, we're in for at least 20+ years of 2014 programming.  They still replay Knicks 94 playoff games and they didn't even win the damn thing.  Just glad we weren't involved in them getting to where they are.  

Eh, that's because the Knicks haven't won in 40 years.  They hardly ever play 1999 footage and that team made the Finals too.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#130 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

All I say is, whatever the outcome of the SCF, that us Devils fans shut our mouths and take it like men and worry about our own house.  No need for bad karma.

#131 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

All I say is, whatever the outcome of the SCF, that us Devils fans shut our mouths and take it like men and worry about our own house.  No need for bad karma.

I agree with the sentiment, publicly, such as in public and social media situations, but be damn well sure that on this website we are free to let it all hang out, LOL.

#132 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,044 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

I agree with the sentiment, publicly, such as in public and social media situations, but be damn well sure that on this website we are free to let it all hang out, LOL.

Damn right. This is the only place Devils fans can come for therapy from this sh!t lol.

#133 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

Yea, as disgusting as the possibility of the Rags winning the cup is, we shouldn't make ourselves look like idiots and run our mouths.  In other words, don't be like how SOME Rags fans were like back in 2012.  And to be fair to the few Rags fans who were douches in 2012, they did lose to us, so in a way you can understand why they were being douches.  It's not as if the Rags beat the Devils this year.

Like Mad Dog said, if you have to let off steam, we should do it here.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#134 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,044 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

I just checked Facebook for the first time all day... I wish I didn't lol. My friend who's a big Rag fan said he was watching CNBC (a business network mind you) this morning and they came back from commercial twice with that hilariously bad goal song playing. He excitedly exclaimed that everyone has 'Ranger Fever'. It really is sickening.

#135 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

fvck the Rangers!

#136 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

Oohh.....I am a bad example.........my hatred of the Rags has spewed in my social media and the karma isn't playing out very well right now!

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#137 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

If this team weren't the Rangers, they'd be likeable. It's a team that's not here on superior talent, that's for sure. You can't often say that a Ranger team is greater than the sum of its parts. This one is. I think they'll be champions.

Resume gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. :D

#138 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

I don't think so, they are definitely the underdogs no matter who wins on Sunday.  The Kings and the Blackhawks have really dominated the league in the past 2 or 3 years now.  They are just dominant teams.  They're well coached, well-built, you name it.  You can try to argue against it but the results they get speak for themselves.  Hopefully a team in the East besides Boston can step up and be as dominant. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#139 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

I don't think so, they are definitely the underdogs no matter who wins on Sunday.  The Kings and the Blackhawks have really dominated the league in the past 2 or 3 years now.  They are just dominant teams.  They're well coached, well-built, you name it.  You can try to argue against it but the results they get speak for themselves.  Hopefully a team in the East besides Boston can step up and be as dominant. 

The Blackhawks and the Kings certainly have better players and are better teams. I would not argue against that, and either team will be a favorite over the NYR. But if either West team loses, it wouldn't be the first time a better team got beat.

#140 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

NHL Network airing the '94 Road To The Cup today, so it's safe to say the Rangers have already been crowned as Cup champions this year.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users