Photo

NJ/Albany Minor Transactions Thread (was Thomson/Johnson thread)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:23 AM

Timaaaaaaaay

Timmins re-sign in Albany

http://m.nbcsports.c...e-signs-timmins

#22 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

Usually wouldn't post something like this but given how slow August is for hockey news...I randomly searched on twitter for Albany Devils and came across this tweet:

https://twitter.com/...893445483388928

"Albany Devils might be moving to Manchester to replace the Monarchs who are moving to Ontario, California. (From a source)"

I'm skeptical of the account since he doesn't seem to be affiliated with any media outlet but it doesn't seem that far fetched. The AHL is about to go through some realignment with teams moving out west, the ECHL/CHL are likely to merge in the near future with some ECHL teams perhaps ending up in the AHL, and the Albany Devils are in the last year of their lease and still have attendance issues, highlighted in this article from the Times Union (2/10/14):

The American Hockey League team's current per-game average of 3,018 fans is the lowest in the city's 21-year AHL history...Albany has ranked in the bottom 25 percent of league attendance each of the past 14 seasons...The Devils have a full season remaining on a five-year lease with Times Union Center, although they have an escape clause after this year. While there have been no spoken or even implied threats of departure, cities desperate for an AHL team could try to lure away the Devils.

Here's a link on the Manchester Monarchs possibly moving to California. Just something interesting to think about.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#23 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:55 PM

Very interesting and wondering if the devils will do this. I know Lou and past and current coaches and players have said having the team in Albany is convenient due to it being only about a 2-3 hour car ride from Newark. One of the main reasons why they moved from Lowell (devils purchased the loch monsters and renamed them the devils back around 2005ish after the river rats changed affiliations with the Carolina who later moved to Charlotte to be the checkers) to Albany was to bring them closer and make emergency call ups easier. I know if they do move to Manchester it's still not as bad as other teams who have their minor league team on the opposite of the country, it's still reduces their flexibility somewhat in that regard.

I'm still curious to see what is the reason for the Albany devils attendance issues. Is the local economy tough or the locals apathetic? From what I remember the team on the ice have not been great but they haven't been that bad either.

#24 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:05 PM

I don't know anything about Albany's economy but it seems like even when Carolina had the franchise they still struggled with attendance. During those years they were still averaging under 4,000 a game and were towards the bottom of the league in attendance. I know the Devils have gotten some heat from people up there about how they've handled the team since the River Rats days. Plus an Albany season ticket holder told me that a lot of people that did go to games when Carolina had the team stopped once the Devils took it over again. Maybe Albany just isn't that great of a market?

The travel from Newark as you mention isn't ideal but at roughly 4.5 hours I guess it wouldn't make it a stumbling block to relocating. Have to imagine any relocation takes place for the 2015-16 season That seems to be the target date for the whole shake up of minor league hockey to go into effect.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,761 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Lou announced today that Gedig and Faust would both sign minor league deals.  Shame for Gedig that he doesn't get an ELC but he wasn't likely to get to the NHL this year regardless.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#26 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

Lou announced today that Gedig and Faust would both sign minor league deals. Shame for Gedig that he doesn't get an ELC but he wasn't likely to get to the NHL this year regardless.

Not really familiar with Gedig, but is he supposed to be anything? Maybe fill the Salvador role next year?

#27 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

Really happy they signed Gedig, somewhat surprised it wasn't to an ELC but that's fine. I don't really get the Faust signing a whole lot. I guess he'll take the "Harry Young ECHL role" over. They have a ton of D and Faust never really seemed to improve much in college. Took him until last year to really get off the 3rd pair. On the other hand Gedig captained Ohio State last year plus some time his junior year, played in all situations over the years, and seemed to improve his overall game in 4 years. I don't expect Gedig to turn into anything special, but I could see him as a serviceable NHL D a few years down the road.

By my count the minor league D right now are: Severson, Helgeson, Scarlett, Hrabarenka, McPherson, Burlon, Gedig, and Faust. I could see them re-signing Kelly for his leadership.

Not really familiar with Gedig, but is he supposed to be anything? Maybe fill the Salvador role next year?

If the Devils are looking for a physical D to replace Salvador after this year, I think it would probably be Helgeson over Gedig. I still think Severson will be on top of the depth chart to get moved up though.

#28 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,761 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Devils signed Dan Kelly to a 2 year deal.  Everyone here knows I'm not a big +/- guy, but Dan Kelly has been a +37 in Albany while the rest of the team has been... not that.  The Devils are -95 as a team over that period, although I don't know what the PP/PK breakdown is, it's likely that NJ is down pretty big at even strength.  There's some caveats with all of this of course - Kelly is likely to play when the opponent's team's net is empty and his is not, he probably plays the PK and not the PP, and it's possible he's not facing top lines.  Still, even if we downgrade him to +0, that's still impressive given Albany's awfulness over the last 4 seasons.

#29 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

I don't know anything about Albany's economy but it seems like even when Carolina had the franchise they still struggled with attendance. During those years they were still averaging under 4,000 a game and were towards the bottom of the league in attendance. I know the Devils have gotten some heat from people up there about how they've handled the team since the River Rats days. Plus an Albany season ticket holder told me that a lot of people that did go to games when Carolina had the team stopped once the Devils took it over again. Maybe Albany just isn't that great of a market?

The travel from Newark as you mention isn't ideal but at roughly 4.5 hours I guess it wouldn't make it a stumbling block to relocating. Have to imagine any relocation takes place for the 2015-16 season That seems to be the target date for the whole shake up of minor league hockey to go into effect.

I go to games here (Norfolk Admirals) and get maybe if lucky  1500 weekdays, 2,000 weekends. Ticket prices are $14 cheapest. The "scope" arena can seat around 9K.  ODU basketball used to play there. But when the Admirals were ECHL team, tix were $5 on up. Family of 4 for $20. doesn't seem all that long ago. This place sold out many times! Why would lou move further away? Flyers farm team moved back close to home (Allentown) I would think Lou mihjt want a lil closer. Connecticut? Why AHL games in A. City?

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#30 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

Very interesting and wondering if the devils will do this. I know Lou and past and current coaches and players have said having the team in Albany is convenient due to it being only about a 2-3 hour car ride from Newark. One of the main reasons why they moved from Lowell (devils purchased the loch monsters and renamed them the devils back around 2005ish after the river rats changed affiliations with the Carolina who later moved to Charlotte to be the checkers) to Albany was to bring them closer and make emergency call ups easier. I know if they do move to Manchester it's still not as bad as other teams who have their minor league team on the opposite of the country, it's still reduces their flexibility somewhat in that regard.

I'm still curious to see what is the reason for the Albany devils attendance issues. Is the local economy tough or the locals apathetic? From what I remember the team on the ice have not been great but they haven't been that bad either.

Their AHL affiliates regardless of where they've been have made the playoffs maybe twice in 13 years or something along those lines, that's about as bad as it gets.  They develop apathy no matter what market they're squatting in at the time, it's part of the deal. Hey it works for their model I guess which is to home grow a few here and there basically pinning them down salary wise and jump from market to market when enough local fans stop going. All attendance numbers at the minor league level are inflated which make their published number even more scary. It is what it is. If you combine Trenton making the playoffs rarely if ever when they were there the on ice futility is even more startling. One of the years Trenton did make it the team was essentially put together by the org before the Devils showed up. Without a doubt Trenton was trending in the wrong direction before the Devils came to town but they essentially scorched the earth and left 6 months after signing a 10 year lease. The rate of decline escalated greatly once they rebranded and as Lou said painted the town red. The clowns that come in behind them had no clue how badly and were destined to fail right from the get go.  They were extremely successful and finishing off what was once a good thing.

Edited by titans04, 04 September 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#31 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

Looking over the training camp roster and it appears that Kelly Zajac and Chris McKelvie are both back on AHL deals.

Also, looks like Albany may have RW Paul Thompson on an AHL deal. He's on the training camp roster and wasn't listed as a tryout. He turns 26 in Novemeber, is 6'1, 198 lbs. AHL career: 200 GP 39-34-73, -3, 223 PIM, 0.37 Pts/GP. Played 4 years at UNH - all with Sislo.

Seems like D Renat Mamashev may be open to an AHL (though I don't see room for him in Albany). According to TG he moved to Long Island to be with his wife which is why he left the KHL.

#32 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:54 PM

I know this is a bit old, but I wanted to speak a bit on the AHL relocation rumors and Albany's situation specifically.

For those of you who don't know, many of the western NHL teams have been making noise about wanting their AHL affiliates closer to home.  Things have progressed to the point where we know it's going down eventually, we just don't know exactly which cities will become AHL markets or when this will all start.  Obviously nothing's happening this upcoming season, there's simply not enough time to put anything in place.  A lot of people think there will be some shuffling in the 2015 offseason, others say it won't be until 2016 or even later.  There's an idea I've seen floated around the past couple days wherein the westward shift will be put on hold until the next NHL expansion, which is rife with its own rumors about location and timing.

The teams that are almost definitely involved and their current AHL farm clubs are:

• Los Angeles:  Manchester (NH) Monarchs
  • Anaheim:  Norfolk (VA) Admirals
  • Arizona:  Portland (ME) Pirates
  • San Jose:  Worcester (MA) Sharks
  • Vancouver:  Utica (NY) Comets
  • Calgary:  Adirondack Flames (Glens Falls, NY)
  • Edmonton:  Oklahoma City (OK) Barons

(Bold denotes the NHL club owns its AHL affiliate.)

Also, it is rumored that Colorado (Lake Erie Monsters in Cleveland), Dallas (Texas Stars in Austin), and/or Winnipeg (St. John's [Newfoundland] IceCaps) might get involved.  The Avalanche don't own the Monsters, but the other two pairings are O&O situations.  Before all the west coast talks got heavy, the Jets had announced that they would eventually move the IceCaps to Thunder Bay, Ontario; nobody knows where that's at as there doesn't seem to be any progress on building an AHL-caliber arena in Thunder Bay.

I noted above that Anaheim and Arizona do not currently own their AHL affiliates, so they would need to purchase AHL franchises or partner with an independent group that would handle all the dirty work.  This has led to various rumblings about who might be in trouble; however, as far as the league is willing to state publicly, nobody's for sale.

Now, about Albany:

Wellllllll... to put it bluntly, we're a bunch of front-running cheapskates.  The local economy isn't that bad, but the locals chafe at what are, IMO, some pretty reasonable ticket prices.  (Single-game prices this year for adults are $17 on the ends, $20 in the corners, $23 in the center sections, and $27 on the glass everywhere; season tickets range from $540 to $755.)  However, when the team isn't doing all that well, people around here will throw out every excuse in the book not to show up, including whining about the ticket prices.  Occasionally someone will man up and admit that they don't want to go because the team sucks.

You're right in that the A-Devs have been fairly meh; however, the River Rats in the last few years as a Devils farm club were TERRIBLE, and the locals were only just starting to get over that when the Rats (who had been mediocre as a Hurricanes affiliate) left for Charlotte four years later.  As Fiesty said, attendance had been near the bottom of the league since the end of the '90s anyway, but a decent number of fans were turned off by the Devils' return.  (It didn't help that there were rumors at the time that the Rangers wanted out of Hartford and that Albany was a likely destination.  Obviously that never happened.)  The two playoff games Albany hosted this past season generated a fair amount of excitement, though; favorable scheduling (a Friday-Saturday duo) and an aggressive ticket discount campaign resulted in crowds of 6500 and 8000.  Hopefully some of that excitement will translate to better crowds this year.

And to tie the two topics together, I'm not optimistic about the future of the Devils in Albany.  This has nothing to do with the attendance; clearly the Devils aren't all that concerned with the number of butts in the seats.  And it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the Devils continue to insist upon playing a few games in Atlantic City.  My thought is that the two AHL franchises Anaheim and Arizona need for the west coast move are going to have to come from somewhere, and I haven't heard anything about how committed the new Devils owners are (or aren't) to continuing to own and operate their own AHL team.  They might prefer to revert to a traditional affiliation agreement and let the locals do all the dirty work (especially after Lou finally retires), and as such they might be more willing to sell than most of the other AHL ownership groups.  I may be completely off-base on this, but that's where my mind is at right now.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#33 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:14 AM

What do you think about the Devils eventually moving the team to Trenton? With that arena having no hockey again this year it seems like something the Devils could do, it makes the team really accessible to keep an eye on players. Calling up players becomes a simple drive up the turnpike.

That arena is definitely an AHL ready arena. the Devils don't care about crowds so it would work perfectly.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 23 September 2014 - 12:16 AM.

#34 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

I suppose I should clarify what I meant by "I'm not optimistic about the future of the Devils in Albany", because thinking back on it, it's about as clear as mud.

I don't have anything to back this up, just a gut feeling, but I feel like there's a less-than-remote possibility that Harris and Blitzer might sell the AHL franchise when AHL West finally comes to fruition.  However, if they do not sell the franchise, I feel like they would stay in Albany for as long as the arena wants them there.  (I phrase it like that because if the TU Center ever gets the opportunity to land the Rangers' farm club, they'll probably jump on it.)

So, to answer the question about Trenton, no, I don't think that would happen.  If it did, the Devils would definitely need to do a better job of running things than they did last time.  (For starters, try something more than just sticking "Trenton" above the NJ logo.)  But it kinda seems like that bridge was burned, wasn't it?  I suppose if the Devils find themselves no longer welcome in Albany, Trenton would be near the top of the list of potential locations... but I really can't say how well it would go for them there.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,761 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

Rowdy:  This is a good series of posts.  I have no idea why you ended up burying them in a thread about minor transactions.

#36 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

Wellllllll... to put it bluntly, we're a bunch of front-running cheapskates.  The local economy isn't that bad, but the locals chafe at what are, IMO, some pretty reasonable ticket prices.  (Single-game prices this year for adults are $17 on the ends, $20 in the corners, $23 in the center sections, and $27 on the glass everywhere; season tickets range from $540 to $755.)  However, when the team isn't doing all that well, people around here will throw out every excuse in the book not to show up, including whining about the ticket prices.  Occasionally someone will man up and admit that they don't want to go because the team sucks.

New Jersey Devils fans are the same. You see dozens of comments on Facebook/Twitter by Devils fans saying the organization should lower ticket prices. If they only knew we have some of the lowest in the league, and definitely lowest in the East (outside of Florida Panthers).

#37 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

New Jersey Devils fans are the same. You see dozens of comments on Facebook/Twitter by Devils fans saying the organization should lower ticket prices. If they only knew we have some of the lowest in the league, and definitely lowest in the East (outside of Florida Panthers).

Sadly this is true.  You hit it right on the head that the only team on the East Coast with cheaper ticket prices are the Panthers.

The fans that keep whining that the tickets should be cheaper are the ones who would always complain unless the tickets were free.

#38 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

I don't know how our ticket prices stack up against our NHL teams.  However, there is no debating that the decision to lower the price of balcony tickets has filled those sections up nicely from when the arena first opened - however some who sat in the 200 level likely moved down to cheaper and better seats as a result of the price change.

I know that I picked up season tickets the year they lowered the balcony prices to $22/game, when I had been going to 10-15 games each season previously as part of a flex plan.  I'm sure there were others like me in that regard.    

Posted Image

#39 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:37 PM

Rowdy:  This is a good series of posts.  I have no idea why you ended up burying them in a thread about minor transactions.

Thanks, Tri, I truly appreciate that, especially coming from you.   :cheers:

The topic was brought up in this thread a few posts back, so I decided to respond to it here.  Do you think I should split it off into its own thread?

#40 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

Renaud Lavoie @renlavoietva 34s

Waivers: JACOB MARKSTROM VAN DARCY ZAJAC N.J JOE WHITNEY N.J SCOTT TIMMINS N.J MICHAEL SISLO N.J TIM SESTITO N.J DAN KELLY N.J B.BURLON N.J

Some more cuts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users