266 replies to this topic

#21 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

Anyone else going to the USA game today against Turkey at Red Bull Arena? Should be a fun atmosphere.

I did. Was awesome. The fact it was a win against a pretty good European side made it that much better.

I looked over Blegiums players, vermalean is listed as one of their starting backs, he was awful this year, so not so confident with them

They're going to storm their group and be one of the most exciting teams in the entire tournament to watch. They have an outstanding midfield, a pretty good back line despite Vermalen's awful year and very capable forwards and one of the best goaltenders in Europe. Lukaku and Benteke are both dangerous. Hazard is world class and this is opportunity on the biggest stage. Their asset in this tournament is being in a weaker group and anything is possible in the knockout rounds. They can easily get to the quarters, even the semis. I'm very high on Belgium.

As for the US, hoping for the best and Sunday's showing was promising, but I just don't like the match-ups in our group and will be pleasantly surprised and ecstatic if we can get through. I have virtually 0 confidence in Altidore and feel that our best bet for scoring is to get Dempsey free, but I feel that Johannson is a very good player and I hope Klinsmann doesnt hesitate to bench Jozy if he's not effective. Ghana is going to give us fits again but are beatable. I do think Portugal is a game that can be stolen espc with Ronaldo having issues, even with him on the pitch I think that is a winnable game. I'm hoping to see a performance against Germany like we did last time around against England, but Id rather play them earlier than the third game. If Germany stumbles early and needs a win to get through that may be rough. The one saving grace is that Germany could already be through and they may lay off a bit and I also hope the humidity hurts them. A lot of the Americans have experience playing in the awful weather they're going to experience in Brazil, but the Europeans won't like it at all. Ghana is a must win though.

As for Donovan, I understand the reasons for his exclusion and there's clearly some issues between him and Klinsmann, but I feel for the guy. If the US have a poor showing, there will be some heat for the decision, but Jurgen's here for a while and it will blow over. Even if the team gets blasted 5-0 in every game he'd not be removed.

Edited by ghdi, 05 June 2014 - 10:27 PM.

#22 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:17 AM

I did. Was awesome. The fact it was a win against a pretty good European side made it that much better.

They're going to storm their group and be one of the most exciting teams in the entire tournament to watch. They have an outstanding midfield, a pretty good back line despite Vermalen's awful year and very capable forwards and one of the best goaltenders in Europe. Lukaku and Benteke are both dangerous. Hazard is world class and this is opportunity on the biggest stage. Their asset in this tournament is being in a weaker group and anything is possible in the knockout rounds. They can easily get to the quarters, even the semis. I'm very high on Belgium.

As for the US, hoping for the best and Sunday's showing was promising, but I just don't like the match-ups in our group and will be pleasantly surprised and ecstatic if we can get through. I have virtually 0 confidence in Altidore and feel that our best bet for scoring is to get Dempsey free, but I feel that Johannson is a very good player and I hope Klinsmann doesnt hesitate to bench Jozy if he's not effective. Ghana is going to give us fits again but are beatable. I do think Portugal is a game that can be stolen espc with Ronaldo having issues, even with him on the pitch I think that is a winnable game. I'm hoping to see a performance against Germany like we did last time around against England, but Id rather play them earlier than the third game. If Germany stumbles early and needs a win to get through that may be rough. The one saving grace is that Germany could already be through and they may lay off a bit and I also hope the humidity hurts them. A lot of the Americans have experience playing in the awful weather they're going to experience in Brazil, but the Europeans won't like it at all. Ghana is a must win though.

As for Donovan, I understand the reasons for his exclusion and there's clearly some issues between him and Klinsmann, but I feel for the guy. If the US have a poor showing, there will be some heat for the decision, but Jurgen's here for a while and it will blow over. Even if the team gets blasted 5-0 in every game he'd not be removed.

Benteke is out for the tournament, hurt his Knee. But I agree Belgium are in with a great shout. Best young team in the tournament.

I think there is a little bit of gamesmanship when it comes to Ronaldo, I am fairly sure he is actually just tired, I think he will be fit for the tournament. Even with him thought I can see Portugal being beatable for the USA. The looked horrible in qualification.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#23 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

No doubt they have a lot of talent, but I won't fall for the hype until I see them win some big games. Every world cup there are teams hyped as dark horses and every time they never come trough. I remember people talking the same way about the Ivory Coast in previous tournaments. In Europe the qualification are split into 9 groups, so the talent levels are water down quite a bit. A dominating qualification doesn't necessarily translate to an elite team

#24 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

No doubt they have a lot of talent, but I won't fall for the hype until I see them win some big games. Every world cup there are teams hyped as dark horses and every time they never come trough. I remember people talking the same way about the Ivory Coast in previous tournaments. In Europe the qualification are split into 9 groups, so the talent levels are water down quite a bit. A dominating qualification doesn't necessarily translate to an elite team

While I share your skepticism with Belgium (Columbia and Nigeria in '94 were other new favorites/dark horses that didn't pan out) in fairness to the Ivory Coast they didn't exactly get a break with the draws the last two WC's either.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#25 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

Dark horse for me this year is Uruguay (Go El Diablo Go ! ) 

They will make lot of trouble... Bank on that ! 

France will reach 1/4 at best...

Spain will be disappointing 

And Brasil shouldn't be able to lost this cup...

(oh and sorry.. But USA is in a way too much group for them) 

#26 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

France will probably not win the world cup... but a french did that : 

http://youtu.be/XZzJxWbWXtY

Edited by moustic, 06 June 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#27 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:28 PM

Dark horse for me this year is Uruguay (Go El Diablo Go ! ) 

They will make lot of trouble... Bank on that ! 

lol a team with Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani do not qualify as a dark horse + they were a semifinalist in 2010. Uruguay are a favorite to do well.

#28 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

lol a team with Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani do not qualify as a dark horse + they were a semifinalist in 2010. Uruguay are a favorite to do well.

Agreed. They are second favourites in terms of betting.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#29 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

World Cup got always the same people near the last step... Germany, Brazil, Italia (and since 2 world cups, Spain)...

Excuse me but Uruguay aren't at the same historical level.

That would be a HUGE suprise that Uruguay won the World Cup (and really good one but a big one nonetheless)

And i can name you two huge players in a lot of teams ... but they will not be dark horse (Portugal with Nani/Ronaldo + moutinho for example ) 

Argentine (if they end first in their group) can have an easy schedule to the semi

#30 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

World Cup got always the same people near the last step... Germany, Brazil, Italia (and since 2 world cups, Spain)...

That would be a HUGE suprise that Uruguay won the World Cup (and really good one but a big one nonetheless)

And i can name you two huge players in a lot of teams ... but they will not be dark horse (Portugal with Nani/Ronaldo + moutinho for example ) 

Argentine (if they end first in their group) can have an easy schedule to the semi

The definition of a dark horse: "a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds."

There is plenty known about Uruguay. They have two of the best strikers in the world (not many teams can boast 2 top ten in the world strikers) up front, an excellent backline led by Godin and Jimenez who are coming off leading a team to Champions League final, and a solid midfield. They're one of the favorites in their group which is already considered the toughest group in the tournament. 

They would not be a huge surprise to win. They're playing in South America and they've historically performed well whenever the tournament has been held there. And again, they were a semi-finalist just 4 years ago + as its been pointed out they're currently the 2nd favorite in terms of betting. This is not a dark horse. Anyone who pays attention to this sport would not be overly surprised if Uruguay were to win it all and more than a few are picking them to make the semis at least again.

You want dark horses? Chile and Japan are the definition of the term.

#31 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:01 AM

Uruguay have won two world cups that is more than France (and England and Spain). :P They are also up there in tournaments qualified for, quarter and semi finals.

I checked the odds again, they have lengthened to be 4th in terms of odds to win.

They are hardly a two man team either, Diego Godin, Maxi Pereire, Gaston Ramirez , Diego Forlan.

And Nani?

Posted Image

#32 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

Don't get me wrong.. of course Uruguay is already a well know team... 
But for this particular world cup.. every team that isn't Brazil isn't expected to win ! Odds are SOOOOO for Brazil it's ridiculous.

I hope Uruguay will won it... And as long as Spain doesn't win.. i will be fine with any kind of result 

(i think this time, French players will leave their bus) 

#33 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:50 AM

Uruguay have won two world cups that is more than France (and England and Spain). :P They are also up there in tournaments qualified for, quarter and semi finals.

I checked the odds again, they have lengthened to be 4th in terms of odds to win.

They are hardly a two man team either, Diego Godin, Maxi Pereire, Gaston Ramirez , Diego Forlan.

And Nani?

Well yeah but Uruguay's last title was in 1950...that's like saying the Rangers have won more Cups than the Devils :lol:

Is Forlan even still playing for them?  I saw in a couple different places he's not a starter anymore.  He is basically to them what Donovan would be to us at this point if Klinsmann didn't off him.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 10 June 2014 - 07:03 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#34 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:55 AM

You want dark horses? Chile and Japan are the definition of the term.

Nah they're just prohibitive underdogs period.  Well Chile might be a darkhorse if they were in another group.  Same with the US for that matter.  But true darkhorses basically never win the World Cup.  It's always been the same handful of teams that have actually won for the most part.  And almost invariably European teams win in Europe and South America teams win in the Americas.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 10 June 2014 - 07:06 AM.

#35 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

Today is the Day Game 1:

Brazil vs Croatia 9pm GMT, 5pm Brazil time.

First game, all the pressure on Brazil, I think they can handle it.

Brazil:

Look for David Luiz to throw himself about in the early stages, anyone doing in play betting have some money on Luiz to get the first yellow. No idea what the starting line up will be, Neymar will be starting behind Fred I imagine, Personally I would like to see Willian and Hulk as the two wider players. But it depends on formation. There is word that they will start the same team that beat Spain in the Confed Cup. That means Oscar will likely start, even though he seems burnt out.

One to Watch: Neymar: will be out to entertain from the offset, great free kick taker.

Super Sub: Willian, if he comes on, Gut busting runs, tracks back and some real flair.

Young Gun: Neymar cant have it all, so watch for Bernard coming off the bench.

Croatia:

Croatia are no slouches, Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic will provide most of the creative flair . Mario Mandzukic is a big loss for Croatia up front, as he is suspended. That means Jelavic (who had a less than impressive early campaign with Everton before finding his way with Hull ) Eduardo (who was born and raised in brazil) will be leading the line. I would chose Eduardo  Dejan Lovren has had a standout year with Southampton and will pose some threat from set pieces.

One to Watch: Ivan Rakitic- Had a fantastic year and really makes things work.

Super Sub: Whoever doesn't start up front. Olic is capable of a goal or two.

Young Gun: Mateo Kovacic- Wonderful season in Italy. 19 years old and destined for big things.

Posted Image

#36 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

Today is the Day Game 1:

Brazil vs Croatia 9pm GMT, 5pm Brazil time.

First game, all the pressure on Brazil, I think they can handle it.

Brazil:

Look for David Luiz to throw himself about in the early stages, anyone doing in play betting have some money on Luiz to get the first yellow. No idea what the starting line up will be, Neymar will be starting behind Fred I imagine, Personally I would like to see Willian and Hulk as the two wider players. But it depends on formation. There is word that they will start the same team that beat Spain in the Confed Cup. That means Oscar will likely start, even though he seems burnt out.

One to Watch: Neymar: will be out to entertain from the offset, great free kick taker.

Super Sub: Willian, if he comes on, Gut busting runs, tracks back and some real flair.

Young Gun: Neymar cant have it all, so watch for Bernard coming off the bench.

Croatia:

Croatia are no slouches, Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic will provide most of the creative flair . Mario Mandzukic is a big loss for Croatia up front, as he is suspended. That means Jelavic (who had a less than impressive early campaign with Everton before finding his way with Hull ) Eduardo (who was born and raised in brazil) will be leading the line. I would chose Eduardo  Dejan Lovren has had a standout year with Southampton and will pose some threat from set pieces.

One to Watch: Ivan Rakitic- Had a fantastic year and really makes things work.

Super Sub: Whoever doesn't start up front. Olic is capable of a goal or two.

Young Gun: Mateo Kovacic- Wonderful season in Italy. 19 years old and destined for big things.

Anything but a clear Brazil victory would be a huge surprise. Croatia has a few few good players, but they lack the depth. I can,t wait for the Spain Netherlands game tomorrow.

#37 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Croatia can keep up with Brazil. It wont be a walk. 2-1 Brazil late.

#38 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

The opening games always wind up tense and close anyway.

#39 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

Our office is stopping dead to watch this game, should be fun.  I have Brazil 2-1 as well I think in the picks I made.

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#40 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

First game and first good prediction...

i'm 100% right with my WC prediction so far... ; ) 

3-1 wtih the first refereree screwjob... Get ready to have a lot of them with such a bad level of referee (traditionnal in Worldcup turning first round) ...

Oh.. and we cannot afford to let the Brazil don't go deep in the cup right ? right ? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users