98 replies to this topic

#21 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,196 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

Actually caring about what a few Facebook groups do is just as silly as the groups themselves.

If the organization itself starts promoting the 'anniversary of Henrique' the way MSG does with Ranger moments then I'll get worried.  Heck that'd be doubly silly considering we didn't actually win the Cup that year, at least the Rangers won the Cup in their year though they celebrate Matteau, Matteau, Matteau just as much or more than the actual Game 7 against Vancouver.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#22 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

I celebrate our team's history but I also have the wisdom of keeping some of this crap in perspective.  2 years ago might as well be 20 years ago in sports.  A good chunk of the major contributors from that playoff run are either gone or about to be out the door (hopefully with Marty but I see you still want him back on the other thread, go figure).

I have a feeling if the Rags win the cup this year and we fast forward to 10 years from now Devils fans will still be posting about it like crazy and basically it will be a role reversal of how things were from 1998-2004.

I rarely ever discuss hockey on FB as usually it is full of the absolute bottom of the barrel of Devils fans.

We still brag about our three cups; and the last one - by all accounts an unexpected one (but hey, it made up for '01) - was 11 years ago.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#23 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,069 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

The Rags (MSG) and the NY media play the Matteau goal as much as they do for one reason: to irk Devils fans. They know we're right here. They do it to tweak us. Hell, when you watch MSG, what do you see more often: Matteau or the final seconds of game 7 against Vancouver? So I have no problem tweaking them back with Henrique. It sucks we didn't go on to win the Cup, but we had 3 prior- so that helps ease some of the pain. Beating the Rags in the ECF was and always will be priceless. Whether they win the Cup this year or not doesn't change that.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#24 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

The Rags (MSG) and the NY media play the Matteau goal as much as they do for one reason: to irk Devils fans. They know we're right here. They do it to tweak us. Hell, when you watch MSG, what do you see more often: Matteau or the final seconds of game 7 against Vancouver? So I have no problem tweaking them back with Henrique. It sucks we didn't go on to win the Cup, but we had 3 prior- so that helps ease some of the pain. Beating the Rags in the ECF was and always will be priceless. Whether they win the Cup this year or not doesn't change that.

I think I will./  For many years when a Rags idiot would bring up 94 I would just point to the 3 cup banners in the rafters that normally that would shut them up.  Now if I bring up Henrique all they have to do is point to their cup banner from what might be this year and then what?  I'm supposed to keep bragging about a goal over a cup win?

We really shouldn't look or be as desperate as them with this.

#25 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,069 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

I think I will./ For many years when a Rags idiot would bring up 94 I would just point to the 3 cup banners in the rafters that normally that would shut them up. Now if I bring up Henrique all they have to do is point to their cup banner from what might be this year and then what? I'm supposed to keep bragging about a goal over a cup win?

We really shouldn't look or be as desperate as them with this.

If someone treats me like an a$$hole, I treat them like one. Give it right back to 'em. I understand what you're saying though, and I respect your point of view.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#26 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:16 PM

Henrique's goal was two years ago.. Hardly living in the past to bring it up once every while.

Am I going to downplay the Rangers run this year by mentioning it? Hell no, that'd make no sense. But I'm sure as hell going to bring it up if someone tries to throw 94 in my face.

Another example of people worried about being too PC or whatever. Who cares. Devils fans don't need to be this super classy, holier-than-thou fan base imo..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118, 27 May 2014 - 07:16 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#27 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

so much for the thread being about nhl 15..
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#28 Bonginator11

Bonginator11

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

so much for the thread being about nhl 15..

Haha seriously that was my original intent. But I guess that dissipated in a hurry. I know I will definitely be purchasing NHL 15 because of the Doc factor. I bet he will make the game a thousand times more enjoyable. I really do miss his play by play for the Devils broadcast. We were definitely spoiled.

#29 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

for sure.. and now were going to have steve and ken, wonder how it will be listening to ken every game.. i mean i like him and all but i dont know if im going to like listening to him every game
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#30 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

Ugh can we please move away from this?

On Sunday was the 2-year anniversary of that happening and every devils fan group on Facebook was all over it. We make fun of the rangers and their fans for constantly bringing up 1994 especially since we won the cup three times since. Now we are constantly bringing up something that happened two years ago while the rags are one win away from being in the finals. Sunday was one of those days I was a bit embarrassed to be a devils fan.

UGHH what a hipster. 2 years ago isn't that long ago. Beating your rival in the ECF is a life changing event as a die hard fan. If you get over that in 2 years you're either bored with life or not as entrenched as other die hards. Either way looking down on other fans is dumb.

#31 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

I'm praying Pierre doesn't make his way into the game.

Also I'm not the biggest fan of Eddy.. I'm sure he'll be the color guy in the game as well.

Oh well, Doc will make it worth it.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#32 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

I'm praying Pierre doesn't make his way into the game.

Also I'm not the biggest fan of Eddy.. I'm sure he'll be the color guy in the game as well.

Oh well, Doc will make it worth it.

It's Doc, Eddie, and Ray Ferraro from TSN.

#33 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:19 AM

UGHH what a hipster. 2 years ago isn't that long ago. Beating your rival in the ECF is a life changing event as a die hard fan. If you get over that in 2 years you're either bored with life or not as entrenched as other die hards. Either way looking down on other fans is dumb.

Life changing?  Really?  Isn't that going a bit overboard?

#34 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

Life changing?  Really?  Isn't that going a bit overboard?

While life-changing MAY be a little overboard, its still a memorable event for "die-hard" fans.  I'm not very old and it certainly was the most memorable event in my time as a fan.  I remember parts of '03 and '00, but didn't appreciate the sport or the team in the same way I do now as an young adult.  

Edited by RizzMB30, 28 May 2014 - 08:54 AM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#35 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

While life-changing MAY be a little overboard, its still a memorable event for "die-hard" fans.  I'm not very old and it certainly was the most memorable event in my time as a fan.  I remember parts of '03 and '00, but didn't appreciate the sport or the team in the same way I do now as an young adult.  

Maybe that's the difference as I remember 95, 00 and 03 very well so 2012 is great, but not the same as those years, at least to me.

But you are right as 2012 was memorable and I do enjoy it but just wish we could have finished the job that year.

#36 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

Maybe that's the difference as I remember 95, 00 and 03 very well so 2012 is great, but not the same as those years, at least to me.

But you are right as 2012 was memorable and I do enjoy it but just wish we could have finished the job that year.

Agreed.  I watched every second and I think it was totally possible that year if we didn't throw away game 6 on that silly misconduct call.  Just a great run.  But glad we could agree on that at least.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#37 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

Agreed.  I watched every second and I think it was totally possible that year if we didn't throw away game 6 on that silly misconduct call.  Just a great run.  But glad we could agree on that at least.

Not even just that, we were a shanked shot late in Game 1 and a rip off the crossbar in the last 20 seconds of Game 2 away from taking a 2-0 series lead.  That series was closer than a lot of people realize, most notably the Rangers fans who still go, "LOL YOU WERE ALMOST SWEPT BRO!"

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#38 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

So, in 2012, NHL had Giroux on the cover. 2013, NHL had Brodeur on the cover. Now, they have Doc as the principal commentator, the same man who has called thousand(s) of Devils games and countless amazing Devils moments (and ECF 2012 game 6) throughout his career. Barring anything amazing happening to them in the next few weeks, Rangers fans must be sick of the NHL game franchise by now haha... 

#39 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

1994 was 20 years ago.

You're not a very happy guy.

I have a poster hanging in my room that says "Henrique it's over". I also have a tee shirt. That is the most exciting thing that has happened to this franchise in the last decade. You really think it's embarrassing to bring it up? Wow.

hes being a baby.  2 years of savoring one of the best hockey calls in history DOES NOT EQUAL 20 years of MSG re-runs of the Rags cup run, the Messier guarantee, the endless MATTEAU! MATTEAU! MATTEAU! clips. You would THINK that sh!t happened 2 years ago they way they still tout it.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#40 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

hes being a baby. 2 years of savoring one of the best hockey calls in history DOES NOT EQUAL 20 years of MSG re-runs of the Rags cup run, the Messier guarantee, the endless MATTEAU! MATTEAU! MATTEAU! clips. You would THINK that sh!t happened 2 years ago they way they still tout it.

One of the best calls in hockey history? Now you, like others, are going overboard with this. It's one of the greatest calls for devils fans but in history? C'mon you are reaching there and you know it and people really need to stop with the hyperbole around 2012. It was a great event for us but damn it's going out of control

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users