98 replies to this topic

#41 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

One of the best calls in hockey history? Now you, like others, are going overboard with this. It's one of the greatest calls for devils fans but in history? C'mon you are reaching there and you know it and people really need to stop with the hyperbole around 2012. It was a great event for us but damn it's going out of control

No, im not.  I'd say out of all the great calls, its in the Top 25.  I'd put the 94 Matteau call on that list too.  Why are you so butthurt about this?  you always have to be THAT guy "YOU CANT HAVE THIS OPINION BECAUSE THIS"

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#42 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

No, im not. I'd say out of all the great calls, its in the Top 25. I'd put the 94 Matteau call on that list too. Why are you so butthurt about this? you always have to be THAT guy "YOU CANT HAVE THIS OPINION BECAUSE THIS"

So out of at least 50 years of broadcasters calling hockey games that's one of the top hockey calls in history? You know that is 100% subjective and no ones list will be the same or even close as their bias will always get in the way. You are completely reaching there and I already stated it's a great call but doesn't need to be brought up all the time, especially when the rags are one game away from the finals and could possibly win the cup this year. Then we can brag all we want about 2012 but they will have a cup while we haven't won one in 11 years.

As mentioned earlier, I think a lot of this has to do with age and/or when people started following the devils. I was at the cup winning games in 1995 and 2003 and remember 2000 very well and those moments will surpass 2012 every time for me. I guess those who were either too young or didn't follow the team then right now only have 2012 to remember.

#43 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:45 PM

So out of at least 50 years of broadcasters calling hockey games that's one of the top hockey calls in history? You know that is 100% subjective and no ones list will be the same or even close as their bias will always get in the way. You are completely reaching there and I already stated it's a great call but doesn't need to be brought up all the time, especially when the rags are one game away from the finals and could possibly win the cup this year. Then we can brag all we want about 2012 but they will have a cup while we haven't won one in 11 years.

As mentioned earlier, I think a lot of this has to do with age and/or when people started following the devils. I was at the cup winning games in 1995 and 2003 and remember 2000 very well and those moments will surpass 2012 every time for me. I guess those who were either too young or didn't follow the team then right now only have 2012 to remember.

Or they just really enjoyed a moment that erased a lot of bad memories. There's no need for whole the elitist thing. A lot of us were around for 95, 2000, 2003, etc. It doesn't mean we can't enjoy something recent.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#44 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Yeah, i'd say its up there.  Just as i said about the SM goal in 94.  

just the fact that it "embarrasses" you when other Devils fans openly enjoy our history just because the Rangers are a game out shows your insecurity about this team or your fandom. Its a sport, teams miss playoffs, others win. The Rangers happening was inevitable. It in no way effects your life at all to have someone else bring up the past of OUR team and appreciate it.

i just don't understand how you projecting on other fans provides any sort of validation.

and you can talk about age all you want but i was brought up in a devils family.  I'm 23 and I can remember going to games all my life.  I remember making cardboard Stanley cups and screaming like a mini madman.  I remember crying in 2001 when the Devils lost.  If its just a pissing contest about whos been a fan longer then you should be encouraging reminiscing even MORE about the past.

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil, 28 May 2014 - 12:51 PM.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#45 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

Yeah, i'd say its up there. Just as i said about the SM goal in 94.

just the fact that it "embarrasses" you when other Devils fans openly enjoy our history just because the Rangers are a game out shows your insecurity about this team or your fandom. Its a sport, teams miss playoffs, others win. The Rangers happening was inevitable. It in no way effects your life at all to have someone else bring up the past of OUR team and appreciate it.

i just don't understand how you projecting on other fans provides any sort of validation.

and you can talk about age all you want but i was brought up in a devils family. I'm 23 and I can remember going to games all my life. I remember making cardboard Stanley cups and screaming like a mini madman. I remember crying in 2001 when the Devils lost. If its just a pissing contest about whos been a fan longer then you should be encouraging reminiscing even MORE about the past.

It's not a pissing contest but damn if you need to harp on something from two years ago when the rags are about to go to the finals and possibly win while the devils are out playing golf for a month now? Yeah and I'm the insecure one.

I wonder if the rags win the cup if devils fans next year do the "if you know the ranger suck" chant with the "and they'll never win the cup" part in there. I bet anything they will and that's when I truly put my head down in shame as I do not expect better from a good chunk of this fanbase. If you want to talk insecurities, then how about less whining about not being allowed to chant "you suck" to the other team and focusing half the chants at any given devils home game against the idiots who play across the river.

Or they just really enjoyed a moment that erased a lot of bad memories. There's no need for whole the elitist thing. A lot of us were around for 95, 2000, 2003, etc. It doesn't mean we can't enjoy something recent.

Funny I would have thought the three cup wins since 1994 would have erased that memory but I guess not given how focused this fanbase is on the team across the river.

#46 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

It's not a pissing contest but damn if you need to harp on something from two years ago when the rags are about to go to the finals and possibly win while the devils are out playing golf for a month now? Yeah and I'm the insecure one.

I wonder if the rags win the cup if devils fans next year do the "if you know the ranger suck" chant with the "and they'll never win the cup" part in there. I bet anything they will and that's when I truly put my head down in shame as I do not expect better from a good chunk of this fanbase. If you want to talk insecurities, then how about less whining about not being allowed to chant "you suck" to the other team and focusing half the chants at any given devils home game against the idiots who play across the river.

Funny I would have thought the three cup wins since 1994 would have erased that memory but I guess not given how focused this fanbase is on the team across the river.

You seem way more focused on the Rangers than anyone else. All fans of rival teams do chants at each other. It's gone on forever. No matter what they do, Devils fans will make fun of them and no matter what the Devils do, Ranger fans will make fun of them. It's just how rivalries go.

And again, to show your focus on the Rangers, the Henrique goal was big for a lot more reasons than 1994. It was big because the Devils had been a first round and out team for 10 years and had yet to win a big series in their new arena. It signified that the franchise wasn't done yet. The fact that it was against the Rangers was a nice bonus, of course.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#47 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

Drop the elitist attitude and stop comparing something recent to something 20 years ago. The more you get called out on it, the more off-tangent your replies get.

#48 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

Drop the elitist attitude and stop comparing something recent to something 20 years ago. The more you get called out on it, the more off-tangent your replies get.

Elitist comes from those who hate hearing how embarassing they are looking.

I bet criticizing that Devils fan this morning for calling into the Boomer and Carton show about comparing Lundqvist and Brodeur is elitist too then?  When Devils fans are grasping at straws to "stick it" to the Rags we look pretty pathetic.

Edited by DevsMan84, 28 May 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#49 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

You seem way more focused on the Rangers than anyone else. All fans of rival teams do chants at each other. It's gone on forever. No matter what they do, Devils fans will make fun of them and no matter what the Devils do, Ranger fans will make fun of them. It's just how rivalries go.

And again, to show your focus on the Rangers, the Henrique goal was big for a lot more reasons than 1994. It was big because the Devils had been a first round and out team for 10 years and had yet to win a big series in their new arena. It signified that the franchise wasn't done yet. The fact that it was against the Rangers was a nice bonus, of course.

Do you hear Rags fans sing songs about the Devils when they are not playing the Rangers?  Nope.  To say that Rags fans are just as focused on the Devils as we are on them is hopeful at best.

As for the Henrique goal if that was true that is signified more than about 1994, then why is every time I see it the Rags are front in center on the topic?  Let's say the Devils did that against a team such as Boston.  Devils fans would bring it up still but not to the level as they do against the Rags.  At least 75% of the reason Devils fans bring up the Henrique goal is because of it was against the Rags.

#50 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Do you hear Rags fans sing songs about the Devils when they are not playing the Rangers?  Nope.  To say that Rags fans are just as focused on the Devils as we are on them is hopeful at best.

As for the Henrique goal if that was true that is signified more than about 1994, then why is every time I see it the Rags are front in center on the topic?  Let's say the Devils did that against a team such as Boston.  Devils fans would bring it up still but not to the level as they do against the Rags.  At least 75% of the reason Devils fans bring up the Henrique goal is because of it was against the Rags.

At least 75%?? That's a very specific percentage for something that in no way can be proven. I would 67% of fans don't care and just want to have fun. 

I don't understand why you have so many "rules" for how other fans are allowed to act.

#51 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

At least 75%?? That's a very specific percentage for something that in no way can be proven. I would 67% of fans don't care and just want to have fun. 

I don't understand why you have so many "rules" for how other fans are allowed to act.

It's not about rules but damn does our fanbase know how to make themselves look bad and have an huge inferiority complex.

Again its not about the fact that we won the ECF but the fact that it was against the Rags is why fans go nuts over it.  How come fans don't bring up our win against Pittsburgh in the 2001 ECF as much then?  Hell they hardly brought it up a year or 2 years or 3 years after as well.

#52 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

Same god damn arguments all the time.

#53 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

It's not about rules but damn does our fanbase know how to make themselves look bad and have an huge inferiority complex.

Again its not about the fact that we won the ECF but the fact that it was against the Rags is why fans go nuts over it.  How come fans don't bring up our win against Pittsburgh in the 2001 ECF as much then?  Hell they hardly brought it up a year or 2 years or 3 years after as well.

Because 2001 was a disappointment and 2012 was an out-of-nowhere run to the finals. The Devils were supposed to be out in round 1.

Who cares how the fanbase looks? I think it's a massive inferiority complex to be so focused on what everyone else thinks about us or our fanbase. Who cares? Henrique's goal was a great moment, and a lot of fans enjoyed it. You just have a huge issue with people enjoying anything in a way that you don't approve of.

#54 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

Well we hate the Rags...duh. They hate us, too. Stop the presses. No one thinks our fans look bad. You're the only one who tends to look at our fanbase in a negative light.

#55 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

Eh now I am starting to think you two are right.  Maybe I am looking at this too harshly (I am being 100% honest with this).

I think one of the things I will do for this coming season is to be less critical of our own fans and just let it be.  God knows it will be better for myself and others lol.

Ok carry on about NHL 15 now.  I don't play the game so ummmm there's that.

#56 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Eh now I am starting to think you two are right.  Maybe I am looking at this too harshly (I am being 100% honest with this).

I think one of the things I will do for this coming season is to be less critical of our own fans and just let it be.  God knows it will be better for myself and others lol.

Ok carry on about NHL 15 now.  I don't play the game so ummmm there's that.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. People here have criticisms for half the fanbases in the league (Rangers, Flyers, Kings, Hurricanes, Blackhawks, Habs, Penguins, etc), so I don't think it is wrong to find a double standard or call into question some opinions you disagree with.

But it is a Devils message board and most people posting are going to have strong opinions to the contrary. That's fine too. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#57 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

this forum is starting to become pathetic with the derailments and stupid arguments back and forth all the time.. people on here talk sh!t about the people on hf but atleast their mods crack the whip when it needs to be done over here.. theres no mods over here to take control
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#58 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Rangers fans don't have chants about the Devils, but instead they go to Newark to wear their Avery jerseys at a Devils and Coyotes game while the Rangers are playing the Flyers just a few train stops away!

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#59 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

this forum is starting to become pathetic with the derailments and stupid arguments back and forth all the time.. people on here talk sh!t about the people on hf but atleast their mods crack the whip when it needs to be done over here.. theres no mods over here to take control

It's the offseason - chillax.  I'd rather some disagreements take place than this place completely dry up during the summer months like it used to.  It's an active community, there are bound to be disagreements.  Still a great forum.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#60 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

It's the offseason - chillax.  I'd rather some disagreements take place than this place completely dry up during the summer months like it used to.  It's an active community, there are bound to be disagreements.  Still a great forum.

theres just no moderators that are active in keeping the place in check.. 2 people get into an argument in a thread that has nothing to do with the thread and every single person on the board has to read through it.. if people want to clog up threads by arguing they should just start arguing through pm.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users