45 replies to this topic

#41 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

Why even make the offer though?  The Devils will most likely be in the same spot they were this year, where there is no room for pissing away points...and they'll essentially be doing just that by dressing one of the worst statistical goalies in the NHL.  Even if it was for 16 games, it just doesn't make any sense.  It's time to move on as a franchise.    

Agree with this...basically it seems like there's a "Well, we know he's not good anymore, but if he's not good in 15-20 games as opposed to 30+, then it's OK." mentality with some.  What's wrong with having a clear #1 who's good, with a backup that also has a shot to be good?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 31 May 2014 - 11:23 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

I was speaking in terms of Kovy's offensive skill, not his bad contract. He bought out White after White was way past his prime and moved around like he had cement in his skates, same for Brylin and Pando. So...those weren't great moves by Lou. They were just necessary ones that nedeed to be made.

I'm still reeling from his terrible contracts to Rolston, Mogilny, Malakhov, and McGillis.

2 of these contracts cost the Devils absolutely nothing - McGillis and Mogilny ended up with 0 cost to NJ except for money, which they were obviously flush with at the time (they spent the most money in the league in 2005-06 and 2006-07).  Indeed, since Mogilny was on IR, most of his contract was likely taken care of by insurance.  White was a perfectly cromulent player in his final season here - puck went the right way when he was on the ice.  Brylin went on to play 4 more years in the Russian league, Pandolfo was still in the NHL in 2012-13 somehow.  Point is, he got rid of players who'd been loyal to the team after they'd passed their usefulness.  

Edited by Triumph, 31 May 2014 - 12:20 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

I'm not sure about that - he didn't prove this year he was capable of being a starter.  Until a guy's a starter, you just don't know how he will do.

I am not sure what you are referencing here. Surely, nothing I have said.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#44 point

point

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

Look at all the players Lou HAS let walk.
2 C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2

#45 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:21 PM

This hurts. This season sucked, but I was hoping it was the end. That we were going to move forward as a franchise after a year of putting up with Marty aging ungracefully. I was even hoping we would begin to recover from losing Zach and Kovy in back to back seasons. I know that the 2 things aren't connected, but after spending much of this season agonizing because of and with Marty, I find it tough to bring him back. The end is going to be bad. It already is. Time to rip the bandaid off.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#46 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

This hurts. This season sucked, but I was hoping it was the end. That we were going to move forward as a franchise after a year of putting up with Marty aging ungracefully. I was even hoping we would begin to recover from losing Zach and Kovy in back to back seasons. I know that the 2 things aren't connected, but after spending much of this season agonizing because of and with Marty, I find it tough to bring him back. The end is going to be bad. It already is. Time to rip the bandaid off.

this does not mean that brodeur is coming back.. i think this whole thing was more so for the media type of deal. However personally i do think marty will end up coming back here again next season, i just dont see anywhere else for him to go no one is going to offer him any type of better deal .. just hope he ends up coming back on a much smaller role as a back up. we need cory to re sign his contract and that should be a main target before even paying any attention to brodeur.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users