833 replies to this topic

#321 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

Holy cow that went completely over your head.  Obviously what I meant was making sure the correct call is made, especially on a play that ends with a goal, is worth sacrificing maybe a minute or two of "flow."  I am all for reviewing plays that ensure that games are decided by the actions of the players, and not a referee's split-second immediate 50-50 decision on a play that is very difficult to call.  Reviewing doesn't need to take as long as it does too.  We don't need video goal judges or a call to Toronto, just do what the NCAA does and let the referee watch the replay himself in the scorer's box and make the decision.

The NFL is different because as already mentioned, they've made things that should be simple become so complicated to the point where you almost need a law degree to know what a catch is anymore.

Imagine being a player who has worked his entire life to get better and reach the next highest level of play until eventually your hard work and training culminates with a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals and you make a borderline but legal play to score a goal but the referee has to decide right away if it counts and he thinks there was something there to negate the play you made.  You'd be okay with the explanation that the play was just too exciting to be reviewed and the game must continue with a crucial call going the wrong way because it wasn't worth disrupting the flow?

Hockey is full of luck.  Pucks bounce over gloves, under arms, off stick shafts, they carom off the boards strangely sometimes, they ricochet off the ice and in.  Subjective calls - and by this I mean generally, penalties - are just part of the overall variance inherent to sport.  There's no way you're ever going to get it right with penalties.  So we just review penalties on goal scoring plays, namely interference?  What about penalties that result in power plays that ultimately result in goals?  Shouldn't we just go back and look at those, just to make sure they're the right call?   I recognize that this is a strawman, but the point is the same - there's always going to be chance elements involved with refereeing a game, and while it'd be nice if those could go away, they can't.  I'm in favor of letting the game speak, of having everything on the ice be inherently meaningful as it happens, not to be judged later, while we wait and think of other things, and then be reversed or upheld.  In the NFL I don't watch the 9 replays to see if it's a catch or not - I don't care.  At that point, they've lost me.  I watch one good replay, make my decision on the right call, and go find something better on TV until they come back (and of course there's a commercial involved) - I refuse to get wrapped up in the courtroom drama that is review in sports.  Anything that diminishes the number and duration of replays is good.  Life has to be lived with imperfections.

Edited by Triumph, 09 June 2014 - 06:01 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#322 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

i think rangers fans have finally cracked. i listened to a half hour of referee conspiracies on sports radio (steve somers show). apparently gary bettman wants the rangers to lose as the referees that were chosen for the finals were done to specifically screw them over. apparently the kings are 16-3 with wes mccauley and crew that is currently doing the finals in the regular season

also steve somers says he is tired of hearing about the kings resiliency but not tired of hearing about '94

#323 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

i think rangers fans have finally cracked. i listened to a half hour of referee conspiracies on sports radio (steve somers show). apparently gary bettman wants the rangers to lose as the referees that were chosen for the finals were done to specifically screw them over. apparently the kings are 16-3 with wes mccauley and crew that is currently doing the finals in the regular season

also steve somers says he is tired of hearing about the kings resiliency but not tired of hearing about '94

steve somers is 94 !

#324 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

lets go kings! make this a solid 3 game lead here
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#325 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Jeff Carter!

#326 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Lundy flubbed that one. Got a big piece, but it still got by him.

#327 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,307 posts

Lmfao. That was awesome.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#328 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

Soffffftttttttiiiiiiieeeee

Think it went off a skate, but I'll still call it a softie.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#329 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Hockey is full of luck.  Pucks bounce over gloves, under arms, off stick shafts, they carom off the boards strangely sometimes, they ricochet off the ice and in.  Subjective calls - and by this I mean generally, penalties - are just part of the overall variance inherent to sport.  There's no way you're ever going to get it right with penalties.  So we just review penalties on goal scoring plays, namely interference?  What about penalties that result in power plays that ultimately result in goals?  Shouldn't we just go back and look at those, just to make sure they're the right call?   I recognize that this is a strawman, but the point is the same - there's always going to be chance elements involved with refereeing a game, and while it'd be nice if those could go away, they can't.  I'm in favor of letting the game speak, of having everything on the ice be inherently meaningful as it happens, not to be judged later, while we wait and think of other things, and then be reversed or upheld.  In the NFL I don't watch the 9 replays to see if it's a catch or not - I don't care.  At that point, they've lost me.  I watch one good replay, make my decision on the right call, and go find something better on TV until they come back (and of course there's a commercial involved) - I refuse to get wrapped up in the courtroom drama that is review in sports.  Anything that diminishes the number and duration of replays is good.  Life has to be lived with imperfections.

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  I'm not okay with wrong calls being permitted to continue and written off as "overall variance of the sport."  Games should be decided by the actions of the players and the fewer wrong calls there are, the better.  Of course you can't review every single play but at the very least we learned from Saturday that at least goalie interference should be reviewable.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#330 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

whats up with the clock during this game

#331 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  I'm not okay with wrong calls being permitted to continue and written off as "overall variance of the sport."  Games should be decided by the actions of the players and the fewer wrong calls there are, the better.  Of course you can't review every single play but at the very least we learned from Saturday that at least goalie interference should be reviewable.

How did we learn that?  Half the Competition Committee thinks it was a good goal.  I think it's 50-50 it would've been upheld.

I don't know how you watch hockey if you can't stand wrong calls.  Jeff Carter scored with 1 second left - shouldn't they go back and review all the whistles to make sure the clock stopped at the right time?  Maybe they stopped it too quick at one point - unlikely, but it might've happened.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#332 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

2-0

#333 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

Goood....Gooooood....

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#334 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

keep it rollin' LA
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#335 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

Lame penalty call

#336 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass

#337 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

Rags are sitting in the crease, bumping Quick.  Really testing the league.

believe-ll.jpg

#338 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

3-0

#339 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

tumblr_lzjro2Tv011r4gei2o4_400.gif

believe-ll.jpg

#340 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

i cant believe people paid thousands of dollars to watch this live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users