833 replies to this topic

#401 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

I believe Brooksie picked the Rangers in 6 or 7 games.  He based it all on that the Rangers have destiny on their side.

If they lose the next game I am really seriously considering tweeting him and saying "I guess the Rags were destined to lose this series.  What happened Brooksie?"

I don't see how one can say destiny when they win series in 7 7 and 6. Now the 2012 Kings that was destiny. This was a team hanging on against a weak East and a Pitt team that self imploded.Maybe if the Rags went through the West I could see it

Edited by roomtemp, 10 June 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#402 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

Im waiting for the final horn to sound in the kings 4th win before i breakout my sore winner act.  I dont want bad kharma or mojo inacting one last MSL Divine intervention and miraculously winning 4 straight final games. we would never, NEVER , EVER hear the end of it. it would curse us for 25 years

now, that said, if the kings pull out this next one, Im carrying a broom with me EVERYWHERE I GO FOR THE NEXT WEEK. a blue and red broom

#403 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

I hope it's a sweep, that would mean the last Tri-state team to win a game in the Cup finals is still the Devils.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#404 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

I hope it's a sweep, that would mean the last Tri-state team to win a game in the Cup finals is still the Devils.

I hope its a sweep because it reminds me the Devils have never been swept. (in a 7 game series if you want to go and include the Rockies and Scouts)

#405 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

I don't see how one can say destiny when they win series in 7 7 and 6. Now the 2012 Kings that was destiny. This was a team hanging on against a weak East and a Pitt team that self imploded.Maybe if the Rags went through the West I could see it

Meh, "teams of destiny" don't always make it easy on themselves.  Hell, the '86 Mets were a "team of destiny", with a lot of compelling individual stories, but their playoff run was rough...it took them six games and a marathon extra-inning match in Game 6 just to get past Houston (and Mike Scott was making them crazy...they would've faced him again in Game 7 if they hadn't won Game 6), and of course, against Boston they lost the first two games and were down 3 games to 2, and were two runs down in Game 6 and one strike away from losing the World Series, when Boston basically imploded, first allowing the game to be tied on Bob Stanley's wild pitch, then of course, Bill Buckner's error allowing the winning run to score.  The Mets then fell behind 3-0 in Game 7 before storming back to win. 

Sometimes teams of destiny are the ones that keep overcoming obstacles to win. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#406 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

Meh, "teams of destiny" don't always make it easy on themselves.  Hell, the '86 Mets were a "team of destiny", with a lot of compelling individual stories, but their playoff run was rough...it took them six games and a marathon extra-inning match in Game 6 just to get past Houston (and Mike Scott was making them crazy...they would've faced him again in Game 7 if they hadn't won Game 6), and of course, against Boston they lost the first two games and were down 3 games to 2, and were two runs down in Game 6 and one strike away from losing the World Series, when Boston basically imploded, first allowing the game to be tied on Bob Stanley's wild pitch, then of course, Bill Buckner's error allowing the winning run to score.  The Mets then fell behind 3-0 in Game 7 before storming back to win. 

Usually a lot of times these teams are christened as "teams of destiny" after they have completed their run.  These NY writers were already crowning the Rangers as such before the Finals even started.

#407 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

So glad this nightmare is almost over.

#408 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

Usually a lot of times these teams are christened as "teams of destiny" after they have completed their run.  These NY writers were already crowning the Rangers as such before the Finals even started.

I think St. Louis mother's passing away (and the comeback against the Pens) helped that along for sure.  Add in Dominic Moore's story as well, and St. Louis' and Moore's very unfortunate tragedies help to give the "team of destiny" angle life.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#409 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

I think St. Louis mother's passing away (and the comeback against the Pens) helped that along for sure.  Add in Dominic Moore's story as well, and St. Louis' and Moore's very unfortunate tragedies help to give the "team of destiny" angle life.

True but these writers were even giving the Rags the prediction that they would win these series just based on "destiny" itself.  They were basically counting their chickens before they hatched based on a gut feeling.  Brooksie even wrote at the end of his prediction piece "the Canyon of Heroes awaits."

If they wrote a prediction/match-up piece about any other team and made a prediction just based on gut feeling they would be laughed and mocked relentlessly on every other professional outlet and social media.  I guess their better judgement was thrown out the window because they too got caught up in the Rags euphoria and they wanted to sell more papers in NY.

#410 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

"Team of destiny" just means a team that a critical mass of sports writers (usually those that don't know very much about the sport) think is the more interesting story.  

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#411 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

It's the NHL playoffs. There are no "team's of destiny". I know it is cliche as fvck, but it really is the toughest trophy to win. After the 1st round, there are 8 teams that feel really good about themselves and say "that there is just something special about this team." Maybe it's surviving elimination in round 1 or winning in game 7 OT. Maybe it is looking flat out dominant early on in the playoffs, but it's such a long ride and such a long grind...

It's very easy to get caught up in that stuff. Eventually, the magic or luck runs out and you just face a stronger team. The Devils were looking great in 2006 having won their last 11 regular season games including an incredible comeback on the final day of the season against Montreal to win the division. They came into the playoffs and swept their rivals. That was 15 in a row, and then they got beat up by the Canes. You feel great about a team, and think they are on some special run, and then it can be over quickly.

Usually, the teams that don't talk about that destiny crap are the damn good teams that expect to be winning. Doubt you heard that from NJ fans in 2000, 2001, or 2003, but probably more often during the 2012 Cup run.

Edited by devilsrule33, 10 June 2014 - 10:11 AM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#412 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Schneider on goalie interference (note, it's behind the espn paywall, so mods can delete this if necessary)

http://insider.espn....LIEINTERFERENCE

New Jersey Devils goalie Cory Schneider is part of the competition committee, and took part via conference call. He’s very much in agreement with Hainsey and Campbell on this, and said the goalies he speaks with aren’t all that eager to expand replay for goalie interference.

“Instances like Game 2 [King’s goal] get amplified because of the stage, but overall the officials do a good job of protecting the crease,” Schneider said during a Monday phone conversation. “When it could impact the game, like the other night, you say ‘Hey, I wouldn’t want that to happen to me.’ I think overall that the guys I talk to, we’re more worried about getting run over and flattened and staying safe that way.”

With so much emphasis put on teams getting traffic in front of the net, Schneider said part of the responsibility falls on the goalie to claim their space.

“Sometimes you have to fight for your position. It’s a skill you acquire with experience,” he said. “As a goalie, you know it’s part of the game.”

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#413 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

It's the NHL playoffs. There are no "team's of destiny". I know it is cliche as fvck, but it really is the toughest trophy to win. After the 1st round, there are 8 teams that feel really good about themselves and say "that there is just something special about this team." Maybe it's surviving elimination in round 1 or winning in game 7 OT. Maybe it is looking flat out dominant early on in the playoffs, but it's such a long ride and such a long grind...

It's very easy to get caught up in that stuff. Eventually, the magic or luck runs out and you just face a stronger team. The Devils were looking great in 2006 having won their last 11 regular season games including an incredible comeback on the final day of the season against Montreal to win the division. They came into the playoffs and swept their rivals. That was 15 in a row, and then they got beat up by the Canes.

Usually, the teams that don't talk about that destiny crap are the damn good teams that expect to be winning. Doubt you heard that from NJ fans in 2000, 2001, or 2003, but probably more often during the 2012 Cup run.

Back in my day "teams of destiny" used to be called teams on a "cinderella run"

We also used to tie onions to our belts, which was the style at the time.

#414 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

If you want to call it anything it's incidental. McDonagh clearly sticks his ass into King forcing him into the queen. Not at all the reason the rags lost.

#415 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

Is it too much to ask for another shutout so we don't have to hear that stupid goal song again this season...?

Posted Image

#416 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

Is it too much to ask for another shutout so we don't have to hear that stupid goal song again this season...?

Pretty feasible considering the fire Quick's showing at the moment. Think about it, what is it, a 3rd period + 2OTs from Game 2 and all of Game 3 not letting in a goal? Almost 2 games worth of a shutout and his play is trending upward.

#417 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

Pretty feasible considering the fire Quick's showing at the moment. Think about it, what is it, a 3rd period + 2OTs from Game 2 and all of Game 3 not letting in a goal? Almost 2 games worth of a shutout and his play is trending upward.

.938 save% in these Finals.  Guy saved his best for last.

#30 FOREVER!

#418 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

.938 save% in these Finals.  Guy saved his best for last.

Without the Blackhawks series he has a .919% for the playoffs.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#419 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Without the Blackhawks series he has a .919% for the playoffs.

If his team loses against the Blackhawks, he's probably hearing some criticism...he was at .906 thru the first three rounds (now up to .910).  All he has to do is play well one more game (or even just good enough) and no one will say much of anything about his overall playoff run. 

#30 FOREVER!

#420 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Mike Scott was an F'n cheating traitor , LOL   Sid! Sid Sid!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users