77 replies to this topic

#41 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Never say never.  Think Dwayne Roloson.  I will admit that it did come back and bite the Lightning in the ass the next season.  It wouldn't be the first time an aging, old goalie had a great year post 40 years old.  I will also admit that Dwayne Roloson was never a bonafide, sure thing starter.  He DID however, take the Lightning to a Conference final at 41 in 2011. 

It just really can't happen. Favre was going to Minny to be the starter. Marty won't be the starting goaltender just about anywhere. If he finds a team to let him start or split, it certainly is not going to be a team that's as good as those Vikings were - with the equivalent of Adrian Peterson, Sydney Rice, Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson, Percy Harvin, etc...

It looks like there's a pretty good chance I'm going to see the end result that I was hoping for:

Schneider signs a long-term extension to stick around.

Brodeur won't be here next season.

Best thing for everyone all-around. 

Only thing that's sad is that Marty still thinks there's a contender out there interested in the services of a 42-year-old high-mileage goalie who has been mostly bad the past two seasons, and will more often put up extended .880ish runs than anything else.  Like others have said, if he finds a team willing to take a shot at him, good for him, but I can definitely see Marty turning in a Kiprusoff-type final season...which will painful to watch for everyone involved.

I'm curious if Kinkaid gets a legit shot to be the 2014-15 backup...if he doesn't work out, Lou can always trade for a more established backup later.

To your first point - agreed, it looks like there isn't much to worry about there. Both sides seem committed to a long-term deal that makes Cory the full-time starter.

As for Kinkaid, well I am just not into the whole Wedgewood/Kinkaid thing. There are enough solid backups who are UFA this year, that we should be choosing from. I could make the argument that backups are better now than they have ever been before; a lot of them could probably be starters.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#42 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

I hear that Brodeur's couch is very interested in signing him for next season.

ding ding ding.....we have a winner !

#43 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

i still think there is a good chance that he ends up back here as a back up
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#44 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

i still think there is a good chance that he ends up back here as a back up

There is a chance. Not a good one...but a chance. I think Brodeur is looking at coming back here as an absolute last resort. But that position might be filled by the time he's ready to crawl back and be a 15 game backup goalie

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#45 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

he might not get a decent offer this summer and end up waiting till during the season if some goalie gets hurt and fill in there.

kind of like when we signed the Beezer back when

#46 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

I also feel Brodeur is coming back. Too much history between he and Lou. I see him playing 20-25, 30 games if he does. Schneider will have to suck it up for one more season

#47 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

I also feel Brodeur is coming back. Too much history between he and Lou. I see him playing 20-25, 30 games if he does. Schneider will have to suck it up for one more season

Just the attitude we should show our future franchise goalie. Ah, just suck it up Cory even though we desperately need you to sign so the team won't be a total mess for YEARS down the line. Not sure if serious.

oKCiNj.jpg

#48 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

Just the attitude we should show our future franchise goalie. Ah, just suck it up Cory even though we desperately need you to sign so the team won't be a total mess for YEARS down the line. Not sure if serious.

Was being sarcastic. But I do feel he's coming back for one more season as a backup. Where else would he wind up? No one will sign him as their starter. Just by default i see Marty returning. And if that happens, he'll play about 20-25 games. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't see Lou telling Marty to pack his bags and leave so unceremoniously. Even despite the "this team is ok being medicocre" comments that Marty dished out at the end of the season, and which Lou flatly rejected. Too much history between these two. We'll see...

Edited by slasher72, 08 June 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#49 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

As for Kinkaid, well I am just not into the whole Wedgewood/Kinkaid thing. There are enough solid backups who are UFA this year, that we should be choosing from. I could make the argument that backups are better now than they have ever been before; a lot of them could probably be starters.

I agree. I'm not opposed to Kinkaid getting a shot, but I'd rather go with a proven NHL backup. Kinkaid just had his best season at age 24 and still ended up being AHL league average (great 1st half, mediocre 2nd half). Wedgewood hasn't had a good pro season yet in either the ECHL or AHL and I really doubt he turns into a NHL backup in the future now. Clermont has been bad in the ECHL for a bit now so the Devils G depth is really lacking quality. I think it'd be smart to get an actual NHL quality backup.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#50 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

Was being sarcastic. But I do feel he's coming back for one more season as a backup. Where else would he wind up? No one will sign him as their starter. Just by default i see Marty returning. And if that happens, he'll play about 20-25 games. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't see Lou telling Marty to pack his bags and leave so unceremoniously. Even despite the "this team is ok being medicocre" comments that Marty dished out at the end of the season, and which Lou flatly rejected. Too much history between these two. We'll see...

Fair enough. I couldn't quite tell honestly and I've seen enough people that have this sentiment of "Cory can wait for Marty" that I had to say something because I think it's just insane. I guess it shows how many people see Marty AS the Devils and can't separate the two, especially the casual fans. I'm personally hoping Marty doesn't come back. Not because I wouldn't love to see him finish here, but because I don't trust our coach to not pump him up with comments about having two starters and blah blah. That shadow hovering over Cory wouldn't be good for anyone.

oKCiNj.jpg

#51 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Fair enough. I couldn't quite tell honestly and I've seen enough people that have this sentiment of "Cory can wait for Marty" that I had to say something because I think it's just insane. I guess it shows how many people see Marty AS the Devils and can't separate the two, especially the casual fans. I'm personally hoping Marty doesn't come back. Not because I wouldn't love to see him finish here, but because I don't trust our coach to not pump him up with comments about having two starters and blah blah. That shadow hovering over Cory wouldn't be good for anyone.

I agree with you. I hope they make Schneider the starter and don't play the "no one is being handed the position" game and make him compete with Marty or others. It would only piss the guy off.

#52 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

It just really can't happen. Favre was going to Minny to be the starter. Marty won't be the starting goaltender just about anywhere. If he finds a team to let him start or split, it certainly is not going to be a team that's as good as those Vikings were - with the equivalent of Adrian Peterson, Sydney Rice, Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson, Percy Harvin, etc...

To your first point - agreed, it looks like there isn't much to worry about there. Both sides seem committed to a long-term deal that makes Cory the full-time starter.

I agree that I would rather see an established NHL goalie come here to backup, but Kinkaid won't cost much, and like I said, if it starts to look like he can't handle the job, Lou can go out and either trade for or sign someone.

This is a situation where you find out what you've got early on...Kinkaid will soon be 25 and already has three AHL seasons under his belt...I'm not sure what a 4th AHL season is going to do for his development.  Might as well find out how he fares in NHL starts now, and if he falters, then you can probably start to write him out of the Devils' plans as a future 20-25 start backup. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#53 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

I agree that I would rather see an established NHL goalie come here to backup, but Kinkaid won't cost much, and like I said, if it starts to look like he can't handle the job, Lou can go out and either trade for or sign someone.

This is a situation where you find out what you've got early on...Kinkaid will soon be 25 and already has three AHL seasons under his belt...I'm not sure what a 4th AHL season is going to do for his development.  Might as well find out how he fares in NHL starts now, and if he falters, then you can probably start to write him out of the Devils' plans as a future 20-25 start backup. 

You could still do that if you sign a vet back up on a short term deal. No reason he couldn't get a game in here or there even if we sign a back up in FA. I don't think this team can really afford to "see what we got" in Kinkaid if we go into next year without a major signing or trade to bolster our forward group.

#54 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

Kinkaid won't cost much but neither will a lot of the backups out there who are much better than him. I'd like to have the backup situation that the Ducks, Kings, Bruins, etc... had this year.

As far as Kinkaid not benefiting form another AHL season goes, well...agreed...but I guess my perspective is that Kinkaid is indeed a lifetime AHLer. I refer to Feisty's post for the expertise in that department.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#55 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

I can not see Lou NOT going after an experienced NHL backup (I said backup, so lets rule out Brodeur). This team is most likely not going to be a great offensive team. They aren't a lock for the playoffs. There will probably be 22 games allocated to a goalie not named Schneider, and if you are Lou, do you feel comfortable going with Kinkaid in that spot?

This isn't the the defending champs going with Scott Clemmensen in 2004 where you also have a goalie that you know can play 75-76 games easily.

Edited by devilsrule33, 08 June 2014 - 08:55 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#56 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:50 PM

I can not see Lou NOT going after an experienced NHL backup (I said backup, so lets rule out Brodeur). This team is most likely not going to be a great offensive team. They aren't a lock for the playoffs. There will probably be 22 games allocated to a goalie not named Schneider, and if you are Lou, do you feel comfortable going with Kinkaid in that spot?

This isn't the the defending champs going with Scott Clemmensen in 2004 where you also have a goalie that you know can play 75-76 games easily.

If the Devils don't bring back Brodeur, I'd be surprised if the backup played more than 15 games.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#57 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:12 AM

I agree, Chad Johnson was a fluke this year, but I believe in going with some homegrown players this next season. Allow Kinkaid to have 5 to 10 games to see how he handles it, and then judge by that.  This allows Wedgewood to start in Albany.  Progess these players. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#58 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:48 AM

I agree, Chad Johnson was a fluke this year, but I believe in going with some homegrown players this next season. Allow Kinkaid to have 5 to 10 games to see how he handles it, and then judge by that.  This allows Wedgewood to start in Albany.  Progess these players. 

I don't disagree one bit with anyone who wants to see the Devils sign an established backup, but Wedge is part of what my thinking is, on why I wouldn't mind seeing Kinkaid get a shot at the backup role here.  I wouldn't mind seeing Wedge get 50+ starts in the A.   

What would probably be most ideal would be Kinkaid being a throw-in in some off-season deal, Wedge becoming the Albany #1, and Lou signing or dealing for an NHL backup.  Backup goalies are a little bit like bullpen pitchers, and in that you don't always know what you're going to get, but I admit that going with Kinkaid would definitely be rolling the dice.  I'd love to know what Lou's thinking is...clearly Lou doesn't think that much of Kinkaid or Wedge as #1 starters, otherwise he doesn't give up a Top-10 first-rounder for Schneider.  But does he think either one of those guys has a career here as a backup (less glamorous, but still important)?   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#59 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,722 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

I don't see Kinkaid for one reason...it's been a long while since Lou even went with a rookie backup.  Clemmensen was the last really green guy that was the backup and he never played in '04 or '06.  He got some games in Toronto after that before he came back as third choice behind Weekes.  Before that JF Damphousse played a handful of games until he got streeted for Beezer's return.  The last young goalie they actually trusted was Dunham.

If the backup is Kinkaid then the idea is definitely to get Cory 70+.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 09 June 2014 - 07:29 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#60 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

I don't see Kinkaid for one reason...it's been a long while since Lou even went with a rookie backup.  Clemmensen was the last really green guy that was the backup and he never played in '04 or '06.  He got some games in Toronto after that before he came back as third choice behind Weekes.  Before that JF Damphousse played a handful of games until he got streeted for Beezer's return.  The last young goalie they actually trusted was Dunham.

If the backup is Kinkaid then the idea is definitely to get Cory 70+.

This is very true and hard to dispute.  I didn't think about Lou and his history.  Good post.  However, by this logic, still good because a 70+ game Cory Schneider is a happy Cory Schneider, and a happy Cory should want to re-sign.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users