77 replies to this topic

#61 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

Yeah but even with Marty playing 70+ they still signed guys like Weekes, Yann Danis, Corey Schwab and Beezer over the years so it's probably unlikely Kinkaid's the primary backup.  Just saying that was the only scenario where I 'could' see him being the primary backup, a Clemmensen-2006 type arrangement.  Which I doubt they'd do this year since Cory's never played more than 45 games in a season before.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#62 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,425 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

It would be utter folly to have Scott Wedgewood, he of the .900 SV% as a pro, as the third goalie on the depth chart.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#63 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Lou is getting this team into the playoffs next season...he's not gonna take a chance on Cory playing 85% of the season without a qualified backup there in case Cory gets hurt

#64 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

This is very true and hard to dispute.  I didn't think about Lou and his history.  Good post.  However, by this logic, still good because a 70+ game Cory Schneider is a happy Cory Schneider, and a happy Cory should want to re-sign.

Only thing about that is not too many guys can start 70+ games every season the way Marty did, and some people think Marty might've benefitted from a lighter regular-season load come playoff time.  I think if you've got a decent back-up, it's probably preferable to keep the #1 guy's workload to 60-65 games. 

Can't really argue Tri's point re:  Wedge...regardless of whether or not Lou thinks Kinkaid is ready to vie for the backup job, it's extremely dangerous to have Wedge be one Cory or Kinkaid injury away from having to play up here.  So yeah, Lou goes out and gets a proven #2-type, Kinkaid is #3, Wedge is #4. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 09 June 2014 - 12:10 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#65 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Only thing about that is not too many guys can start 70+ games every season the way Marty did, and some people think Marty might've benefitted from a lighter regular-season load come playoff time.  I think if you've got a decent back, it's probably preferable to keep the #1 guy's workload to 60-65 games. 

Can't really argue Tri's point re:  Wedge...regardless of whether or not Lou thinks Kinkaid is ready to vie for the backup job, it's extremely dangerous to have Wedge be one Cory or Kinkaid injury away from having to play up here.  So yeah, Lou goes out and gets a proven #2-type, Kinkaid is #3, Wedge is #4. 

Well, Clemmensen will be a UFA, so let the re-tread speculation begin!!!

Vokoun, MacDonald, Emery, Gustavsson, and Labarbera are probably possibilities too, knowing Lou's love of veteran back ups.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#66 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Vokoun, MacDonald, Emery, Gustavsson, and Labarbera are probably possibilities too, knowing Lou's love of veteran back ups.

Giguere is out there too.  37 years old though. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#67 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

Giguere is out there too.  37 years old though. 

Supposedly, he is going to retire. A few weeks ago the media reported that he would announce in mid-June. But who knows.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#68 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

My guess is that Kinkaid will get a shot to be the backup.  He's right around the league minimum.  If he shows he can't hack it, you can usually find a veteran to get 15 to 20 starts.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#69 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Of course, you can file under RST (for Really Scary Thoughts):

Cory re-signs long-term.

Lou brings in a veteran back-up.

Kinkaid and Wedge stay in the A.

Cory plays great but gets injured in late October/early November and is slated to miss 3-4 months.

If #30 is still unsigned at that point, how quickly do you think he's back in NJ?  And how many times will Lou and PDB say how lucky the Devils are, in that a top NHL goaltender was out there for the taking? 

Basically, this is a way of saying that if Cory ever gets hurt long-term, the goaltending tandem isn't going to be everyone moving up one spot within the Devils' organization.  It's going to be Marty filling in for Cory. 

#30 FOREVER!

#70 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Cory re-signs long-term.

Cory plays great but gets injured in late October/early November and is slated to miss 3-4 months.

If #30 is still unsigned at that point, how quickly do you think he's back in NJ?  And how many times will Lou and PDB say how lucky the Devils are, in that a top NHL goaltender was out there for the taking? 

Basically, this is a way of saying that if Cory ever gets hurt long-term, the goaltending tandem isn't going to be everyone moving up one spot within the Devils' organization.  It's going to be Marty filling in for Cory. 

Personally, I'm just hoping some team gives Marty 4 million  bucks on July 1st and we never have to worry about any of that.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#71 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

Bryzgalov is UFA too. I'd take him just for entertainment value in post game interviews.

#72 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

Cory re-signs long-term.

That scenario wouldn't happen because if Marty literally has zero interest from the other 29 teams he's just going to go away quietly (retire).  Especially since if Kinkaid's still in the A they've presumably signed an NHL goaltender to fill the backup role.

#73 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

That scenario wouldn't happen because if Marty literally has zero interest from the other 29 teams he's just going to go away quietly (retire).  Especially since if Kinkaid's still in the A they've presumably signed an NHL goaltender to fill the backup role.

He'll go away quietly, but he won't file retirement paperwork for exactly the reason CR1976 posted. If any team loses a goalie mid-season, they may come to him. He will leave that window open for at least a season.

#74 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

Re-read my post...you have everyone in the Devils moving up one spot (NHL backup becomes the #1, Kinkaid becomes the NHL backup, Wedge becomes the clear #1 at Albany).  I think if Cory suffers a long-term injury, everyone else stays where they are, and Lou welcomes back a waiting-to-be-signed Marty and signs him to a one-year, pro-rated deal. 

Of course, if Marty signs with someone else, and Cory never suffers a significant, multi-month injury, then this scenario doesn't happen. 

#30 FOREVER!

#75 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:59 PM

Bryzgalov is UFA too. I'd take him just for entertainment value in post game interviews.

Hahaha I would too...

#76 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:36 AM

This.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#77 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

Clemmensen is available!? Ex-Devil!!! Lou, pounce on that sh*t!!! :boogie:

#78 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Bryz is my favorite non devils player so if we signed him, I'd be excited. He's not that bad either. I think he'd be a more than capable back up that I would be fine with playing for extended stretches if Cory happened to get hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users