240 replies to this topic

#61 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

You're wrong and living in the past if you think Kovalchuk is going to come back and make this team a contender.  Yeah, he'll definitely help put some more goals in the net, I agree, but the past does matter because Kovalchuk's credibility is totally shot, what team is going to vote yes to Kovalchuk returning to the NHL when he has already 'retired' and then peaced out at the first sign of A) He team starting to falter or B) The threat of another lockout.  The past definitely matters. 

Alright if you think Kovalchuk won't be an effective player at least that is a real reason for not wanting him on the team.  It is debatable but at least it's not, "I don't want him back because he left."

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#62 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Who?

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#63 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,931 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

You guys with your super micro stats should look at the big picture

Don't lump me in with the "micro stats are the be-all end-all" crowd.  I've never been like that.

I don't want him back because I don't think he's going to be terribly good or helpful here.  He wasn't terribly good in the NHL in his final Devils season, and he wasn't terribly good in the KHL last season.  He's not getting any younger.

you cant paint it anyway you want

I want this team in the playoffs...not golfing

Right, because having Kovy on your team guarantees a playoff berth.  Those playoffs runs Kovy led the Devils to in 2011 and 2013 were awesome.  As was the one (ONE) in Atlanta where they got swept. 

Not saying the above were 100% on Kovy, but I don't see how an aging and declining Kovy gets this team over the hump.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#64 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

:e-drama: dis gon b gud

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#65 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

Don't lump me in with the "micro stats are the be-all end-all" crowd.  I've never been like that.

I don't want him back because I don't think he's going to be terribly good or helpful here.  He wasn't terribly good in the NHL in his final Devils season, and he wasn't terribly good in the KHL last season.  He's not getting any younger.

Right, because having Kovy on your team guarantees a playoff berth.  Those playoffs runs Kovy led the Devils to in 2011 and 2013 were awesome.  As was the one (ONE) in Atlanta where they got swept. 

Not saying the above were 100% on Kovy, but I don't see how an aging and declining Kovy gets this team over the hump.   

I'm not gonna argue with you,it's obvious you don't like Kovi, but one thing you guys are missing is the availability of players 

we don't have a lot to offer in a trade, we don't have a stacked minor league system (forwards), we don't draw free agent like the big market teams

how do you expect Lou to make this team better?

one player cant do it all, but he can help in our weak areas

Find me one team where all the forwards have excellent stats.....it's never gonna happen

#66 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

You guys with your super micro stats should look at the big picture

'The big picture' is that Kovalchuk did not improve the team at all 5 on 5 and perhaps hurt it.  A dynamo shorthanded and a help 5 on 4 (although who knows how much of it he gave back through short-handed goals).  Shootouts were a plus though again he was terrible at them before he came to NJ.  It's hard to imagine him as a 2 wins/year player.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#67 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

I'm not gonna argue with you,it's obvious you don't like Kovi, but one thing you guys are missing is the availability of players 

we don't have a lot to offer in a trade, we don't have a stacked minor league system (forwards), we don't draw free agent like the big market teams

Find me one team where all the forwards have excellent stats.....it's never gonna happen

And then your argument is availability of players and then you think Kovalchuk is an option? 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#68 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

'The big picture' is that Kovalchuk did not improve the team at all 5 on 5 and perhaps hurt it.  A dynamo shorthanded and a help 5 on 4 (although who knows how much of it he gave back through short-handed goals).  Shootouts were a plus though again he was terrible at them before he came to NJ.  It's hard to imagine him as a 2 wins/year player.

By virtue of the shootout alone, he probably would have gotten the team at least an additional three points.  Of course that doesn't justify the contract he had, and it wouldn't justify anything more in AAV than what Jagr had last year. 

So far as his KHL production, it seems like players do see a decline in scoring as compared to the NHL.  That was definitely the case with Jagr.  There's Kovy's health, which none of us are really in the position to have any definite answers on. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#69 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

This is just a mean rumor if it turns out to be false. Team's not in the greatest spot.

That being said, a line of kovy-zajac-jagr would be awesome to watch.

#70 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

And then your argument is availability of players and then you think Kovalchuk is an option? 

we dont know if he's an option......it's just a rumor right now

#71 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,931 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

Guess you didn't read any of my posts when Kovy left.  I said I didn't really hold his choosing to leave against him, that if he wasn't happy here and his heart truly wasn't into being a Devil or being in America for that matter, I wasn't going to judge him for it, or have any hard feelings.  I'd rather he not be here than be completely miserable being a Devil, which apparently he would've been at that time had he stayed. 

If I truly thought that Kovy could help this team (because that's all I really care about...can he make the Devils better?), then I'd be all for it (and admittedly even discussing this is probably pointless), though nervous (see below).   But I don't think he does.  I've already stated why.  He had a pretty disappointing year in a lesser league last season, after a not-so-great season in the NHL in 2013.    

You don't really have any proof that he's going to be that much of a help here, outside of blind hope...you're coming off like his coming here will lead to an automatic playoff berth, and him being productive. Like I've said, I don't have anything against Kovy personally, but if any of this crap is true, he wanted to go back home, even left a lot of money on the table because he wanted to go home that badly (though he signed for nice money over there, to play in a lot less games per season), but now he wants to come back and leave SKA behind?  Sorry, I'd be a little nervous about a guy prone to that kind of flip-flopping, even if was only for a one-year or two-year deal...if Kovy is about halfway through this season and is clearly having a rough time, do you put it past him to say "Screw this"?  Is it really that much of a stretch to think he might not honor yet another deal, after bailing on two long-term contracts?    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 09 June 2014 - 11:11 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#72 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

Here's another tweet:

I also said Jose Reyes would be signing with Miami 2 weeks before it happened. YES, the DEVILS are exploring a Kovalchuk re-union #NJDEVILS

He's starting to sound like a fake insider, bragging about a fairly obvious prediction, and now hedging that Devils are "exploring".   Incarcerated Bob gets a ton of followers as well as WFAN appearances based on this crap, so Costa, who's something a publicity whore, might be dabbling into that territory also. 

At least it's something to talk about.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#73 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

And as one could easily predict, a teaser to tune into his show for more details

DINO COSTA @REALDINOCOSTA 8m

I'll be talking about the Kovi back to NJ information on my SHOW later this afternoon...along with an opulence of other issues & items...

Posted Image

#74 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

It's fine if I'm the minority. If Kovy comes back, I'll be thrilled.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#75 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

It's fine if I'm the minority. If Kovy comes back, I'll be thrilled.

I hope you didn't burn your jersey when he left like I saw in the videos of other fans doing it all over youtube.

#76 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

I hope you didn't burn your jersey when he left like I saw in the videos of other fans doing it all over youtube.

I was upset, but I didn't even have a jersey to burn. He's the most exciting player I've ever seen play for my favorite team and, let's be real, last year's team plus Kovalchuk makes the playoffs (if even just on shootout goals alone)

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#77 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

And as one could easily predict, a teaser to tune into his show for more details

A crummy commercial?????

a-crummy-commercial.jpg

#78 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Guess you didn't read any of my posts when Kovy left.  I said I didn't really hold his choosing to leave against him, that if he wasn't happy here and his heart truly wasn't into being a Devil or being in America for that matter, I wasn't going to judge him for it, or have any hard feelings.  I'd rather he not be here than be completely miserable being a Devil, which apparently he would've been at that time had he stayed. 

If I truly thought that Kovy could help this team (because that's all I really care about...can he make the Devils better?), then I'd be all for it (and admittedly even discussing this is probably pointless), though nervous (see below).   But I don't think he does.  I've already stated why.  He had a pretty disappointing year in a lesser league last season, after a not-so-great season in the NHL in 2013.    

You don't really have any proof that he's going to be that much of a help here, outside of blind hope...you're coming off like his coming here will lead to an automatic playoff berth, and him being productive. Like I've said, I don't have anything against Kovy personally, but if any of this crap is true, he wanted to go back home, even left a lot of money on the table because he wanted to go home that badly (though he signed for nice money over there, to play in a lot less games per season), but now he wants to come back and leave SKA behind?  Sorry, I'd be a little nervous about a guy prone to that kind of flip-flopping, even if was only for a one-year or two-year deal...if Kovy is about halfway through this season and is clearly having a rough time, do you put it past him to say "Screw this"?  Is it really that much of a stretch to think he might not honor yet another deal, after bailing on two long-term contracts?    

No I didnt read those post's you wrote when he left (and we dont know the real reason why he left)

but I do think this team needs help scoring, and I do think in situations like: 4 on 4 / OT, in the shootout, on the PK he would help this team

just from the perspective of the other teams keying on HIM could open up the other players on our team

and he was exciting to watch at times......our team was a little drab to watch recently

Edited by The 29th Pick, 09 June 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#79 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

I was upset, but I didn't even have a jersey to burn. He's the most exciting player I've ever seen play for my favorite team and, let's be real, last year's team plus Kovalchuk makes the playoffs (if even just on shootout goals alone)

If Jagr was only brought in to replace Kovalchuk, I'd say no way. With Kovalchuk....still no guarantee.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#80 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Tri - I value your analysis a lot, almost always I think that your evidence-based approach is correct. In this case, I'm wondering if the data you are looking at has been adjusted for quality of competition. I'd imagine Kovy draws all the hard matchups 5v5, allowing for some other players to play against 2nd or 3rd pair defenders. Do you know if the data has an opinion on that one way or another?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users