240 replies to this topic

#81 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

If Jagr was only brought in to replace Kovalchuk, I'd say no way. With Kovalchuk....still no guarantee.

It was really Brunner, and perhaps Ryder that were brought in to replace Kovalchuk.  There was the rumor from the same Czech source that said Jagr was signing with the Devils at the 2013 deadline that the Devils were working on a trade for Jagr. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#82 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,949 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

No I didnt read those post's you wrote when he left (and we dont know the real reason why he left)

but I do think this team needs help scoring, and I do think in situations like: 4 on 4 / OT, in the shootout, on the PK he would help this team

just from the perspective of the other teams keying on HIM could open up the other players on our team

and he was exciting to watch at times......our team was a little drab to watch recently

No arguments on the team needing more scoring and for being a tough watch.  But Kovy's exciting for the wrong reasons too. 

If I could have the 2011-12 Kovy back, I'd probably take him, flaws and all.  But that's probably hoping for too much. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#83 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

Would Ryder give up his #17 ?

#84 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

No arguments on the team needing more scoring and for being a tough watch.  But Kovy's exciting for the wrong reasons too. 

If I could have the 2011-12 Kovy back, I'd probably take him, flaws and all.  But that's probably hoping for too much. 

I feel the analytics types moved the goal posts on Kovalchuk a bit.  I really only saw them look at his points per minutes rate as evidence that he was not that good at 5 on 5.  I've never really seen them harp on it for any other player. and there were a few other good players that I recall that did not fare that well in that category either (Parise I believe was one of them), and some mediocre players that pretty high on that list at around the same time (if I recall, Clarkson and Benoit Pouliot). 

He was awesome in the 2012 playoffs, especially against Philly and the Rangers, and that was with a significant back injury.  And the fact is also that in 2013, the team was comfortably in the playoffs and fell off a cliff when he got hurt.  Yeah, small sample size/luck, but it ain't nothing. 

In the small chance that he comes back, my big concerns are injuries and that the power play would go back to the predictable bombs away from the point.  But otherwise, the team gets better with him here.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#85 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

thats the only argument...will he or wont he make the team better? I'm thinking he will, you're thinking he wont...fair enough

this reminds me of the Cory vs Marty saga last year halfway through the season, many were saying "play Cory, he has a lower GAA and better save%, the other half said "play Marty, he has more wins, can handle the puck better and start the breakout to get our team from D to O"

#86 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

All it took was me buying Dino a cup of coffee to get this rumor going. It sure got the board hopping during this insidiously long summer and Ranger playoff run. 

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#87 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

In the small chance that he comes back, my big concerns are injuries and that the power play would go back to the predictable bombs away from the point.  But otherwise, the team gets better with him here.

Hopefully they would move him to the top of the left circle on the PP like he was in Atlanta and let Gelinas bring the bomb from the point.   With Zidlicky and Elias setting the table for those two it could be a nasty PP. 

#88 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

One thing that seems to be ignored in this situation is that Kovalchuk still has 3 years left on a big money, low tax contract in Russia. Why would he be interested in leaving that money, and why would they be willing to cancel that contract for him? These are things that should be considered.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#89 dmon2010

dmon2010

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

I'd much rather have Chico back than Kovy...

#90 William D'Aquila

William D'Aquila

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

There are two factors we need to remember.

First, the geo-political situation is vastly different to when Kovy signed, this could very well be impacting his decision making process.

Second, Lou let him leave. I was always under the opinion that something was prearranged between both parties.

#91 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,276 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

One thing that seems to be ignored in this situation is that Kovalchuk still has 3 years left on a big money, low tax contract in Russia. Why would he be interested in leaving that money, and why would they be willing to cancel that contract for him? These are things that should be considered.

There are so many layers/obstacles to this:

1) Is there any truth to this rumour at all (very very unlikely)

2) Can Kovy just get out of his KHL deal. 

3) How in the world are the Devils going to be able to get him even if he wanted to return to the NHL and the Devils specifically

4) Is he worth signing anyway (back issues, knee surgery, everything else)

Edited by devilsrule33, 09 June 2014 - 12:37 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#92 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

3) How in the world are the Devils going to be able to get him even if he wanted to return to the NHL and the Devils specifically.

Devils have first shot at him if he was allowed to return

#93 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,949 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

3) How in the world are the Devils going to be able to get him even if he wanted to return to the NHL and the Devils specifically.

5) All of the above.

It's something to BS about, even though deep down I think we all know it's pretty pointless.  Costa comes off as a self-important, begging-for-attention clown more than anything else.  As much as I'm not a Francesa guy, that's the career Costa would kill to have.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#94 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

I would actually love to have him back. IF it was ever possible. Even IF the rumor is true, getting the gms to approve would be tough

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#95 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

I dont buy the part of this rumor that the Devils are working on bringing him back

but I have heard rumors before that Kovi wants to come back eventually

#96 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

I feel the analytics types moved the goal posts on Kovalchuk a bit.  I really only saw them look at his points per minutes rate as evidence that he was not that good at 5 on 5.  I've never really seen them harp on it for any other player. and there were a few other good players that I recall that did not fare that well in that category either (Parise I believe was one of them), and some mediocre players that pretty high on that list at around the same time (if I recall, Clarkson and Benoit Pouliot). 

He was awesome in the 2012 playoffs, especially against Philly and the Rangers, and that was with a significant back injury.  And the fact is also that in 2013, the team was comfortably in the playoffs and fell off a cliff when he got hurt.  Yeah, small sample size/luck, but it ain't nothing. 

No, there hasn't been any goalpost moving.  Just look at the raw goal numbers, Daniel.  +/-.  It paints an unpleasant picture.  You can use Goals/60 and Points/60 if you like, but they are all just reflections of the same thing - Ilya Kovalchuk doesn't help a team 5 on 5, or at least not enough to justify the large salary he would no doubt receive.  Teams don't score more goals with him on the ice.   Kovalchuk used to be a leader in ES G/60 before he got to NJ - in goals per 60, he was 3rd in the NHL in the two years in the Corsi era where he played for Atlanta (08 and 09).  He also used to be a complete liability defensively.   Taking out 09-10 since he split teams that year, as a Devil, he ranked 135th as a Devil.  They fixed him on D and that fixed his offense too - fixed it to being a 2nd liner's offense.  And when I say they 'fixed' his defense, he was never good, he just stopped standing still as a default in the D zone.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#97 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

No doubt this rumor was made up to get attention for Costa's new show. I feel like the "Kovalchuk coming back" rumor is something that will be made up every summer for the next few years by someone trying to get attention.

Even if there was any validity to this, which there isn't, I wouldn't want Kovalchuk back due to his health and the amount of games he has already played. Next year will be his age 31 season and he's already played 1,007 games between the NHL, KHL, and RSL (2004-05 lockout). He's clearly already declining as do a lot of players that have broken into the NHL full time at age 18. He's no longer the player he once was.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#98 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

3) How in the world are the Devils going to be able to get him even if he wanted to return to the NHL and the Devils specifically

shoulder too

There are two factors we need to remember.

First, the geo-political situation is vastly different to when Kovy signed, this could very well be impacting his decision making process.

Second, Lou let him leave. I was always under the opinion that something was prearranged between both parties.

i speculate that Bettman and the new owners were involved as well

Posted Image

#99 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

Would Ryder give up his #17 ?

That's biggest obstacle to his return. Great point.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#100 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

All it took was me buying Dino a cup of coffee to get this rumor going. It sure got the board hopping during this insidiously long summer and Ranger playoff run. 

You overpaid.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users