240 replies to this topic

#121 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

A trade of Kovalchuk wasn't happening. He wanted to go home for the Olympics. Made a nice chunk of change all while receiving much love from Putin. You can't really put a price on what that entails.

As far as them actually buying him out it puts the team, and down the road the league in a much less favorable position to sell. If you can explain how it was a positive in the sense of a pending sale, I am willing to listen.

Love got to go home for the Olympics, the Devils eliminated the contract, and the league was more than relieved to have the team sold to solid owners. Now if the NHL, as a whole believes that they benefitted from how this all went down then, maybe, just maybe, Koy will be wearing out the ice just inside the left blue line once again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

#122 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

Guliti says all 30

Randy Miller cited Bill Daly which explains everything pretty well. 

1. Unless Kovalchuk sits out a full season of professional hockey anywhere in the world, he cannot return to the NHL without consent from all 30 franchises until 2018-19.

2. If Kovalchuk sits out a full season of pro hockey, he can only return with the Devils’ consent until 2018-19.

3. Beginning in 2018-19, Kovalchuk will be 35, removed from the league’s voluntary retirement list and free to sign with any NHL team as a free agent.

#123 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,728 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

A trade of Kovalchuk wasn't happening. He wanted to go home for the Olympics. Made a nice chunk of change all while receiving much love from Putin. You can't really put a price on what that entails.

As far as them actually buying him out it puts the team, and down the road the league in a much less favorable position to sell. If you can explain how it was a positive in the sense of a pending sale, I am willing to listen.

Love got to go home for the Olympics, the Devils eliminated the contract, and the league was more than relieved to have the team sold to solid owners. Now if the NHL, as a whole believes that they benefitted from how this all went down then, maybe, just maybe, Koy will be wearing out the ice just inside the left blue line once again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

The league never took over control of the team.  They loaned Vanderbeek a lot of money.  They never took control of the team. 

There is absolutely no chance that 29 teams would allow Kovalchuk to come back.  Why would they hold up this part of the deal you've made up in your head?  What is their incentive, if they think the Devils get better from having him back? 

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#124 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

this is getting so much attention its sickening.. its just a rumor everyone needs to take that in! we all know that with the terms to get him back its just not realistic!

Edited by 2ELIAS6, 09 June 2014 - 07:10 PM.

believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#125 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

No way 29 teams approve. That would set a bad precedent. This story was dead in the water the second it hit twitter.

at_midnight_1148.jpg

#126 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

No way 29 teams approve. That would set a bad precedent. This story was dead in the water the second it hit twitter.

never say never

I couldnt believe the day we traded for Kovi

I couldnt believe the day he retired

theres also something fishy about the way he left

on their own, I agree all 29 teams will not allow him back...unless the league did have something to do with his departure

Edited by The 29th Pick, 09 June 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#127 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

The league never took over control of the team.  They loaned Vanderbeek a lot of money.  They never took control of the team. 

There is absolutely no chance that 29 teams would allow Kovalchuk to come back.  Why would they hold up this part of the deal you've made up in your head?  What is their incentive, if they think the Devils get better from having him back? 

If they didn't find a buyer, what was going happen? The team was up against it for sure.  

Never said the other GM's were going to agree to it.  In fact ,I only think it can be brought up as now as, hey they could of used the buy out anyway, he went away for a year anyway, so in that regard it could be argued that there isn't much difference.  Last summer's actions were instrumental in getting the franchise into what appears to be very solid hands, which makes everyone more money in the long run.  Never discount greed.

And as far as making anything up, it pretty damn obvious no one has the absolute inside track on this, so of course you need to develop a narrative of some sort to see what MAY be in play, how it MAY work. 

Nearly everyone(not I) here said there was no way the team was getting that draft pick back either.  We will know shortly.  

#128 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,400 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

Kovy's leaving was a situation that was far beyond a home sick player wanting to leave for the Motherland.  Him "retiring" was beneficial to multiple parties, especially Bettman and the NHL.  The last thing the League wanted was the team possibly being moved.(Yes, people have enough dough in the World to make it happen, i.e. Clippers)  Gary didn't want the team to go into bankruptcy, for many reasons.(hurting the value of the existing franchises, hurting the fees for new franchises, being a creditor themselves, bad PR for a major market area, etc.)  I really think the sale was contingent on Kovy going back with not only the league's blessing, but mandate. They knew he was more than willing to go home, especially for the Olympics.(I won't even discuss the geopolitical angle there.)  Now you can say, that is really some conspiracy type crap there, but the last thing Gary wanted was another unsettled team going into, what I believe to be a large expansion in the next few years.

Now if Lou doesn't use his last compliance buyout, I believe that these Kovy rumors may be true.  If the League has a frank conversation with all the team owners/management and says that the Devils could have used the compliance buyout for Kovy last season and that he could have then gone to the KHL, just as he did, and then he could have resigned with NJ the following year anyway. (this summer) So all in all, the moves were done to save a team from ruin, which was in all of their own best interest.  These owners know if they had to take on the Devils like they did the Coyotes, they would be losing money and a lot of it.  And if you ever been around people of this ilk, they don't wanna lose money...ever.

I guess we will see, but with NJ's limited resources to acquire any additional talent, especially since it seems Schneids is here to stay, Kovy returning could be a good thing as long as the dollars and terms make sense.

The Devils would have literally had to pay Kovy over fifty million in hard cash to do a compliance buyout.  There's no circumstance where that would have happened. 

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#129 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

If he does come back here, I'll be convinced that his initial departure was collusion to get the Devils out of that contract.

Yup, this.

I'd take him back for a 3-4 year deal. He would be booed mercilessly until he did some good.

#130 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

I'd take him back, so long as the league doesn't fine the Devils for another 1st round pick.  Can't sacrifice any more of the future for a mercenary like Kovy.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#131 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Yeah, it would have to be without a penalty for it to be worth it.

#132 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

Not that I think it will be easy to get no name back in the league but your perception of 'precdent' is flawed. There are also implications and perhaps stronger precedent set by blocking the Devils from bringing no name back.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#133 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

How could any owner be so petty as to not allow him back into the league?

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#134 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,728 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

If they didn't find a buyer, what was going happen? The team was up against it for sure.  

Never said the other GM's were going to agree to it.  In fact ,I only think it can be brought up as now as, hey they could of used the buy out anyway, he went away for a year anyway, so in that regard it could be argued that there isn't much difference.  Last summer's actions were instrumental in getting the franchise into what appears to be very solid hands, which makes everyone more money in the long run.  Never discount greed.

And as far as making anything up, it pretty damn obvious no one has the absolute inside track on this, so of course you need to develop a narrative of some sort to see what MAY be in play, how it MAY work. 

Nearly everyone(not I) here said there was no way the team was getting that draft pick back either.  We will know shortly.  

Your interpretation of events is this:

Harris and Blitzer say to Vanderbeek - we will buy the team, but we will not buy it with Kovalchuk on it.  So does Barroway, too, I guess.  Okay, well, Vanderbeek scrambles.  The compliance buyout window has probably already passed at this point.  He goes to Kovalchuk with this great plan:  Just walk away from your contract.  Oh, okay, Kovalchuk says, I want to go back to Russia anyway because of the Olympics.  So sure, I'll do it!  Wait, can I come back?  Oh sure, Harris and Blitzer say, after a year, come right on back, we'll sign you to a new contract.  Even though all the other NHL teams have to agree, and you have absolutely no leverage since you can't sign with anyone else.  They will agree, though, because the alternative is the league owning the Devils (and also the building), which apparently would lose the league lots of money, and they'd hate that, even though they lost money on the Coyotes for years when they could've easily sold them to someone who could've moved them to a new city and made them money.

It doesn't make any sense at all.  The most logical series of events is that Kovalchuk liked playing in the KHL, he was unhappy about the lockout, he came back and played for the one year, didn't like it, and wanted to go back to Russia so badly that he basically closed the door on him playing in the NHL for several years, if not ever.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#135 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

something about KHL and prohkorov

Posted Image

#136 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

because they don't want their players to walk away and just think they can come back later. If you leave you're gone 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#137 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

Randy Miller cited Bill Daly which explains everything pretty well. 

1. Unless Kovalchuk sits out a full season of professional hockey anywhere in the world, he cannot return to the NHL without consent from all 30 franchises until 2018-19.
2. If Kovalchuk sits out a full season of pro hockey, he can only return with the Devils’ consent until 2018-19.
3. Beginning in 2018-19, Kovalchuk will be 35, removed from the league’s voluntary retirement list and free to sign with any NHL team as a free agent.

Not doubting this, but why would the NHL require that he sit out of ALL leagues? Makes it hard to believe that this is factually accurate. Especially being that he is one of if not the single most elite player NOTin the NHL, I'd think the NHL would want him back.

#138 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

Why would a rival team do any favors for someone in their division?

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#139 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

It doesn't make any sense at all.  The most logical series of events is that Kovalchuk liked playing in the KHL, he was unhappy about the lockout, he came back and played for the one year, didn't like it, and wanted to go back to Russia so badly that he basically closed the door on him playing in the NHL for several years, if not ever.

This, accept it.  Kovalchuk is a quitter.  If he pulled this stunt when he was 36 or 38, hell yeah, quit/retire away!  He did in while in the prime of his career, a year after the Devils went to the SCF.  He sees the team sinking, HATE the lockout, and QUIT.   Q-U-I-T  You don't make that decision and then get to change your mind.

Not doubting this, but why would the NHL require that he sit out of ALL leagues? Makes it hard to believe that this is factually accurate. Especially being that he is one of if not the single most elite player NOTin the NHL, I'd think the NHL would want him back.

You're not thinking straight.  If you're the Rangers, Penguins, Flyers GM, and your RIVAL team comes to you and says, "Hey, this guy retired from the league, but we want him back on the Devils."  The very thing I bolded is the exact reason that no GM in his right mind would allow it,  ESPECIALLY if there's no chance of Kovalchuk coming to their respective teams.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#140 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

No, I get what you are saying. I was questioning why the league would require he sit out if ALL hockey for a year for it just to be the Devils' decision. Why allow the teams a vote based on whether he played in some lesser league or not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users