• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Schneider says “no demands” about playing time in extension talks; Helps with competition committee - 

Goaltender Cory Schneider confirmed that his agent, Mike Liut, and Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello have begun preliminary talks on a potential contract extension, but said he has made no demands about his playing time next season as part of that discussion.

Schneider, 28, would very much like to be the Devils’ clear-cut No. 1 goaltender next season – however that role is defined (whether it’s playing at least 60 games or whatever) because he has yet to have that opportunity with any team during his four full seasons in the NHL.

“People said I was demanding this or that,” he said today. “It has nothing to do with that. There have been no demands. I think just personally for me I would like the opportunity to be a starting goalie – however many games that may be, however you define a starting goalie. I would just like that opportunity. I think I’ve at least earned a look and if they agree then we’ll go from there.

“It’s something I would like to be able to do at some point.”

- See more at: http://blogs.northje...h.mDpY3cc4.dpuf

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#2 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Essentially, he's saying he doesn't want Marty around, in the absolutely most polite and professional manner.

#3 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Essentially, he's saying he doesn't want Marty around, in the absolutely most polite and professional manner.

Not true.  He's defending himself because people went over the top and are putting words in his mouth.  You're doing the same exact thing now.  He's already defending himself against the media and fans.  He doesn't care who else is brought into New Jersey, whether it's Brodeur or guy in the system or a new guy brought in.  He just wants to be a starter and he's waited for this opportunity for THREE YEARS.  I feel for the guy.

“It has nothing to do with that. There have been no demands. I think just personally for me I would like the opportunity to be a starting goalie – however many games that may be, however you define a starting goalie."

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#4 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

You're right, I am putting words in his mouth. However, there's no "measure" to how you can define someone as a #1 goalie. I would say the easiest way for Lou to state his intention for Schneider to be "the #1 goalie" would be not signing Brodeur. I mean, there's no "games played guarantee" paperwork he can sign, what else is there?

And I'm not saying this in a bad way, I absolutely agree with everything he's said this past week and how he's handling the contract re-signing process so far.

#5 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

no, basically all he's doing is saying the right things.  no inference from Marty.  who knows, maybe Lou asked him to clear the airwaves... regardless, he's saying the right things.

Lock him up Lou, Im glad to see that they're working on it.. just gotta hope for the best

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#6 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

It's funny, though playing amateur psychologist is always dangerous with these guys, he almost sounds like a guy who doesn't realize how good he is.  He's like the formerly chubby/awkward/pimply girl who no guy would pay much attention to, then she loses weight, sees her skin clear up and suddenly becomes hot.  She doesn't realize how many guys are falling over her in her current form...she's still kind of shy and unsure and is just happy to be asked out on a date.  The guy she winds up dating has his share of issues, both physically and mentally, but all of those ugly-duckling years have her convinced she can't do any better... 

That's Cory...he's not looking for the hottest or sweetest girl at the dance...the poor guy just wants to get an invite already!  Thank God he doesn't seem to know that there could be some nice opportunities awaiting him if he ever chose to play out this season without re-signing... 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 June 2014 - 02:38 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

It's funny, though playing amateur psychologist is always dangerous with these guys, he almost sounds like a guy who doesn't realize how good he is.  He's like the formerly chubby/awkward/pimply girl who no guy would pay much attention to, then she loses weight, sees her skin clear up and suddenly becomes hot.  She doesn't realize how many guys are falling over her in her current form...she's still kind of shy and unsure and is just happy to be asked out on a date.  The guy she winds up dating has his share of issues, both physically and mentally, but all of those ugly-duckling years have her convinced she can't do any better... 

That's Cory...he's not looking for hottest or sweetest girl at the dance...the poor guy just wants get an invite already!  Thank God he doesn't seem to know that there could be nice opportunities awaiting him if he ever chose to play out this season without re-signing... 

The money will ultimately speak louder than anything.  He can expect to get something like $6 million plus per year, and we know that Marty won't be back.  There's no need to demand starts.  You don't pay someone that much money to start less than 60 games.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#8 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

That's Cory...he's not looking for hottest or sweetest girl at the dance...the poor guy just wants get an invite already!  Thank God he doesn't seem to know that there could be nice opportunities awaiting him if he ever chose to play out this season without re-signing... 

Even if that was true, NHL agents make sure these players don't exist in the NHL.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#9 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

Even if that was true, NHL agents make sure these players don't exist in the NHL.

Unless you pull a Marty and simply choose not to bother with an agent for many of your contracts.

That being said, I think Cory's going to sign a very reasonable deal.  It wasn't so long ago a lot of people thought it'd be close to max, that the only thing that the Devils had in their favor was to offer that 8th year. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#10 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

Lou to Schneider:  You are in a position unsuitable to give orders!!!!!

gallery_3795_169_489678.jpg

#11 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

If he want's more than 7.5 million/year, I'd tell him to get lost. 

#12 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

i dont think i would want to sign him to too many years.. as said many times he hasnt had the work load of a full time starter yet in his nhl career.. which makes me slightly nervous to lock him into some large contract.. i mean i have faith in the guy i think hes a great goalie.. but what happens if he doesnt end up being what everyone really thinks he is and we have him locked up for 6+ years and a sh!t ton of money.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#13 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:54 AM

i think the fact that nj is close to the boston area helps. 

8 yr 48 million?

#14 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:08 AM

i dont think i would want to sign him to too many years.. as said many times he hasnt had the work load of a full time starter yet in his nhl career.. which makes me slightly nervous to lock him into some large contract.. i mean i have faith in the guy i think hes a great goalie.. but what happens if he doesnt end up being what everyone really thinks he is and we have him locked up for 6+ years and a sh!t ton of money.

We also don't know how clutch he is come playoff time.  You don't want a 'tender who is fire during the regular season and then flops hard in the playoffs, ala MA Fleury.  I'd give him 5-7 years though and at 6 million a year, he can always be traded.

#15 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

i think the fact that nj is close to the boston area helps. 

8 yr 48 million?

lock him down for 8 years? uh no thank you, that would be terrible if he winds up not being the star goalie we think he is we would have to find someone to trade him off too.. theres no harm in signing him to half of that contract and once we are comfortable with him giving him an extension.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#16 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

Personally I'd go 6 years for Cory. I'd be extremely comfortable with giving Schneider 6 yrs/36 mil. like the Blackhawks did with Crawford, but I think LL will go 6 yrs/ 39mil. extension,

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#17 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

Don't discount that Cory saw what an Albatross that Louongo's contract turned out to be. Neither side may want 8 years or anywhere near it. Now the agent....

#18 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

Don't discount that Cory saw what an Albatross that Louongo's contract turned out to be. Neither side may want 8 years or anywhere near it. Now the agent....

This is what I'm worried about, you know, I'm confident, but at the same time, like a year before Parise's departure, he had an agent whispering in his ear about how valuble he is and how much money he can make on the market.  It's enough to keep the worry in the back of my head.  We're not talking Tuukka Rask or Lundquist money here, I think Corey Crawford is a good comparable though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users