63 replies to this topic

#41 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

I'm not giving them the credit of it "being a very close series", that's malarkey. The pundits are right, in their hindsight breakdown of the series:

- No goals for the Rangers in any game after the 2nd period.
- Kings outshooting the hell out of NY in the second half of each game, to an embarrassing degree. People who never watched hockey before could see the Kings as the better team in every game as they approached the second 30 minutes of the game.
- The "luck" they say that let the fateful goal in Game 2 not be whistled off is a fraction of the luck I saw in play in Game 4, with crossbars and pucks stopping on the goal line, to avoid a sweep.

This series was never close. Kings-Devils in 2012 was a true dogfight, if you want to compare the two.

absolutely, the rangers were outshot 194-129 in the series. It was not close in all but the scoreboard. The kings were obviously the better team (as they were in 2012 too, but the that series was more competitive.)

Actually the nba and nhl finals were scary similar. Both "kings" carried their team but it wasn't really a contest. The only difference is that in basketball if you get thoroughly outplayed it shows on the scoreboard. In hockey that's not necessarily the case.

Also want to make a point that just because it wasn't that competitive doesn't mean it wasn't entertaining- watching the kings throw everything they had and just not finding the net at times was insanely frustrating but in a good way (at least I can say that now that I know the result).

Edited by dmann422, 16 June 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#42 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

rangers stillscare me, speed kills and they have a ton of speed, they are certainly much closer than NJ...

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#43 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

I exhaled again today. 

#44 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,872 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:46 AM

I'm not giving them the credit of it "being a very close series", that's malarkey. The pundits are right, in their hindsight breakdown of the series:

- No goals for the Rangers in any game after the 2nd period.

- Kings outshooting the hell out of NY in the second half of each game, to an embarrassing degree. People who never watched hockey  before could see the Kings as the better team in every game as they approached the second 30 minutes of the game.

- The "luck" they say that let the fateful goal in Game 2 not be whistled off is a fraction of the luck I saw in play in Game 4, with crossbars and pucks stopping on the goal line, to avoid a sweep.

This series was never close. Kings-Devils in 2012 was a true dogfight, if you want to compare the two.

It was close. The two series are comparable. First two games went to overtime with LA prevailing. There's only one difference. The 2014 Kings were much better than the 2012 Kings.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#45 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,287 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

It was close. The two series are comparable. First two games went to overtime with LA prevailing. There's only one difference. The 2014 Kings were much better than the 2012 Kings.

I disagree. That 2012 Kings knocked off the president's trophy Vancouver Canucks in 5 games and then swept the 2nd seeded St Louis Blues.

The 2012 also went up 3-0 in the series in every series! They were completely dominate.

This 2014 should have been knocked out in the first round but the gutless Sharks let them hang around.

#46 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

It was close. The two series are comparable. First two games went to overtime with LA prevailing. There's only one difference. The 2014 Kings were much better than the 2012 Kings.

2012 Quick:  20 GP, 1.41 GAA, .946 save%, 26.9 shots faced per game, 61:55 TOI per game

2014 Quick:  26 GP, 2.58 GAA, .911 save%, 29.8 shots faced per game, 61:44 TOI per game  

In the regular season, when eliminating phantom shootout goals, the '12 Kings allowed 170 goals and the '14 Kings allowed 168, so there's no real smoking gun there.  The regular season is clearly a different beast (and every season we see evidence that being the "best" regular season team doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot anymore), but the '12 Kings finished up with 95 points and the '14 Kings ended the season with 100 points.  Also, the '12 Kings finished up their season fairly strong...after starting their season 14-14-4, they went 26-13-9 the rest of the way, including 12-4-3 in their final 19 when they needed wins to stay in the race (they also made the deal for Jeff Carter).  Their regular season record was a little misleading.  

Just not seeing how the '14 Kings were that much better than the '12 Kings. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#47 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

2012 Quick:  20 GP, 1.41 GAA, .946 save%, 26.9 shots faced per game, 61:55 TOI per game

2014 Quick:  26 GP, 2.58 GAA, .911 save%, 29.8 shots faced per game, 61:44 TOI per game  

In the regular season, when eliminating phantom shootout goals, the '12 Kings allowed 170 goals and the '14 Kings allowed 168, so there's no real smoking gun there.  The regular season is clearly a different beast (and every season we see evidence that being the "best" regular season team doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot anymore), but the '12 Kings finished up with 95 points and the '14 Kings ended the season with 100 points.  Also, the '12 Kings finished up their season fairly strong...after starting their season 14-14-4, they went 26-13-9 the rest of the way, including 12-4-3 in their final 19 when they needed wins to stay in the race (they also made the deal for Jeff Carter).  Their regular season record was a little misleading.  

The 2012 Kings were much better than the 2014 Kings, but butthurt Rags fans want to think otherwise to make themselves feel better.

#48 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,266 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'd say these Kings were a much stronger team top to bottom than they were in 2012. The West was an absolute jungle this season, so it doesn't matter to me that it was a grind for the 2014 Kings to get to the Finals. The 2012 Kings flew through the playoffs, but beating that Vancouver team is now not considered such an accomplishment, and Phoenix was a nice story but out of their league. SH can mention that this team was the 1seed or the 2seed, but that isn't so important when you consider a team as good as LA was the 8 seed.

Yes, Quick was not as strong in the playoffs, but he was just as good in the Finals as he was in 2012, so if that's what Derek is debating on, then you have to concede that. Doughty was stronger, Voynov and Martinez are better. Add Muzzin and get rid of Scuderi. Carter is more comfortable in their system. They added Gaborik. Kopitar is a more complete player. Strong young talent in Toffoli and Pearson. King and Clifford are so much better.

I like the 2014 Kings in a landslide. 

Edited by devilsrule33, 19 June 2014 - 09:57 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#49 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,009 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

The 2012 Kings were much better than the 2014 Kings, but butthurt Rags fans want to think otherwise to make themselves feel better.

Its like you invaded my mind DM lmao.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#50 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,050 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

I'd say these Kings were a much stronger team top to bottom than they were in 2012. The West was an absolute jungle this season, so it doesn't matter to me that it was a grind for the 2014 Kings to get to the Finals. The 2012 Kings flew through the playoffs, but beating that Vancouver team is now not considered such an accomplishment, and Phoenix was a nice story but out of their league. SH can mention that this team was the 1seed or the 2seed, but that isn't so important when you consider a team as good as LA was the 8 seed.

Yes, Quick was not as strong in the playoffs, but he was just as good in the Finals as he was in 2012, so if that's what Derek is debating on, then you have to concede that. Doughty was stronger, Voynov and Martinez are better. Add Muzzin and get rid of Scuderi. Carter is more comfortable in their system. They added Gaborik. Kopitar is a more complete player. Strong young talent in Toffoli and Pearson. King and Clifford are so much better.

They are better, but you can't discount the decline of Brown Richards and Stoll - all three guys had pretty terrible seasons.  Pearson and Toffoli are good offensive players, not sure they are play drivers yet.  But Gaborik makes this Kings team definitely better than the 2012 version.

Edited by Triumph, 19 June 2014 - 10:26 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#51 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

They are better, but you can't discount the decline of Brown Richards and Stoll - all three guys had pretty terrible seasons.  Pearson and Toffoli are good offensive players, not sure they are play drivers yet.  But Gaborik makes this Kings team definitely better than the 2012 version.

Idk I think Quick being basically Hasek in 2012 makes that team better since overall he nearly got them eliminated 3 times and with him as Hasek/Roy/Lunqvist/whoever in 2012 they decimated teams and I think that is worth more than Gaborik when Brown/Richards/Stoll were still good 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#52 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,050 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Idk I think Quick being basically Hasek in 2012 makes that team better since overall he nearly got them eliminated 3 times and with him as Hasek/Roy/Lunqvist/whoever in 2012 they decimated teams and I think that is worth more than Gaborik when Brown/Richards/Stoll were still good 

There was no reason to expect Quick to be that good in the Cup Final.  We already went through this with J.S. Gigeure - Quick is a good goalie who played like a great goalie in that playoff, but there's no reason why Quick couldn't've played great in the Final this year, and no reason why he couldn't've played poorly in the 2012 Final.

Edited by Triumph, 19 June 2014 - 10:35 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#53 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

rangers stillscare me, speed kills and they have a ton of speed, they are certainly much closer than NJ...

theyve been faster than us for a while now.. i think nj has just been a slow team. The kings couldnt keep up with their speed either from what i remember in the first couple periods of the first couple of games
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#54 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,287 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

I'd say these Kings were a much stronger team top to bottom than they were in 2012. The Westo was an absolute jungle this season, so it doesn't matter to me that it was a grind for the 2014 Kings to get to the Finals. The 2012 Kings flew through the playoffs, but beating that Vancouver team is now not considered such an accomplishment, and Phoenix was a nice story but out of their league. SH can mention that this team was the 1seed or the 2seed, but that isn't so important when you consider a team as good as LA was the 8 seed.

You can say seeds don't matter in this scenario but no #8 seed has ever won the cup before.

Plus they also went 8-0 on the road.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 19 June 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#55 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,266 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

You can say seeds don't matter in this scenario but no #8 seed has ever won the cup before.

Plus they also went 8-0 on the road.

The Kings were dominant in the  2012 playoffs. No question. But to me that doesn't answer who was a better team or not. The Colorado Avalanche finished with more points than Chicago and San Jose this year.. Using conference seedings isn't all that important. The regular season can put a great team or an average team in all sorts of positions.

I don't plan on arguing with anyone outside this board which team was better and the thought of Devils fans and Rangers fans debating who lost in 5 games to the better team might be the most pathetic thing ever. 

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#56 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

I'll say it this way the 2014 is better on paper but the 2012 team played better. Especially Quick. A better team would have stolen either game 1 or 2 if not both because the Kings were a tired team after the grueling schedule.

#57 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

2012 beter defense, system and goaltending
2014 better offense

believe-zubrus.jpg

#58 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

I'll say it this way the 2014 is better on paper but the 2012 team played better. Especially Quick. A better team would have stolen either game 1 or 2 if not both because the Kings were a tired team after the grueling schedule.

Agree 100%.

Boston-LA probably would've gone 7 games. Can't imagine being a Bruins fan watching Montreal get absolutely bitch-slapped by the Rangers, they were awful.

#59 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

Best explanation yet

#60 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

For reasons others have stated, I think the 2014 Kings were a little better than the 2012 Kings (when your goalie is stopping 94.6% of the shots coming his way, you're simply not going to lose a whole lot...that kind of goaltending is going to make a lot of teams look better than they are), but my issue with Derek's statement was him making it sound like the 2014 Kings were light-years better.  That I don't see. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users