77 replies to this topic

#21 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

The Devils played against a Ducks team who were one of the worst Cup finalists of all time.  NJ was a much better team.  Brodeur played a tremendous final that year, but even with Nieuwendyk out that NJ team was miles ahead of the Ducks.

Brodeur won the Ottawa series. His goaltending was the difference in Game 7. Ask Hossa. The Ducks weren't a great finalist but they defended home ice and pushed it 7. Even if they had no chance in Game 7.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#22 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

So because fans here actually respect Lundqvist, they should turn their Devil jerseys in? Come on Matt. Brodeur was one of the biggest divers and whiners ever. But he was tolerated because he won. Our goalie doesn't complain unless it's warranted. He doesn't take underhanded shots at rivals. You know who did? Your goalie. At least some on here have admitted it. If Hank doesn't win a Cup, so be it. He'll still be a Hall Of Famer. A Cup would cement his legacy.

Calling Broduer a diver is laughable but then again I would expect nothing less from a Ranger fan who worships the Queen of Diving,

The Queenie has taken classless shots ant Marty and this is a Devils forum so he's going get whacked here. Enjoy it Derek.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#23 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

You've all spoken. I'll step aside on defending Lundqvist for the time being.

Why do you think I am arguing to make myself relevant? Nothing to do with that at all. That's uncalled for, and so was your immature line about trading in a Brodeur for Lundqvist jersey.

Anyway this was just about Lundqvist, it's a good argument about the worth of goalies and the unfair expectations many have. Your argument is a goalie like Lundqvist needs to win in order to be great. That isn't your argument just for Lundqvist or just for today after the Rangers lost,  but for all goalies and at any time . My point was that I don't think that is the case at all.

It's easy for everyone here to say...let's just celebrate the Rangers losing and let us have that moment..and that's fine, but if I re-opened this conversation months later, I think everyone would be arguing the same points.

So if you are stepping aside why are keeping going with this Lundquist-Crush you have?

And what I said was not me being immature, it was a metaphoric way to call you out for posting pro-Rangers crvp, on a Devils' forum and in a thread intended to make fun of our arch-enemies' goalie.

The fact that you continue to argue seems to me like you are arguing for the sake of it...eg., to make yourself relevant in a thread that was just a joke.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#24 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

Jesus this thread is borderline embarrassing...and I can't stand HL

#25 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

I think we all know that Lundqvist is a phenomenal goalie. The Lundqvist dissing is because he's a rival, his fans dubbed him "The King" in arrogant fashion, and many of them act like he is the greatest goaltender to play the game since Richter (who is one of my all time favorites). Our guy won 3 cups and 4 Vezina's and his fancy nickname is "Marty". Or fatso, although I never got how a 215lb 6'2 guy was considered fat. 

Anyway, as Devils fans we had a terrible season overall from top to bottom and I think this near-miss of the Rangers losing in the finals has earned us an excuse to celebrate SOMETHING. Sure it's petty and immature, but so is ripping on a 600-plus win goalie because of an affair he had over a decade ago. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#26 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

hey, did the ranger fans celebrate the Kings winning in 2012....hell yeah

we're doing the same thing right now...our rival got beat...lets have a good time

we dont have to get technical about everything

this is after all a NJ Devil fan forum...we shouldnt have to explain anything 

#27 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

I think we all know that Lundqvist is a phenomenal goalie. The Lundqvist dissing is because he's a rival, his fans dubbed him "The King" in arrogant fashion, and many of them act like he is the greatest goaltender to play the game since Richter (who is one of my all time favorites). Our guy won 3 cups and 4 Vezina's and his fancy nickname is "Marty". Or fatso, although I never got how a 215lb 6'2 guy was considered fat. 

Anyway, as Devils fans we had a terrible season overall from top to bottom and I think this near-miss of the Rangers losing in the finals has earned us an excuse to celebrate SOMETHING. Sure it's petty and immature, but so is ripping on a 600-plus win goalie because of an affair he had over a decade ago. 

QFT.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#28 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

Excellent post. For all the crap we got from rags fans after we lost in 2012 to the kings and this terrible season (apparently according to rags fans the stadium game counted for 3 points in their mind) we have every reason to rip on them.

What's great is that rags fans have become so boorish and redundant that you can predict every insult they throw your way. It's like they put no effort into it

#29 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,622 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

As for Lundqvist, I'll still enjoy Sam Rosen pretending every time to be surprised when Lundqvist plays one off his head. Always a brilliant decision to intentionally let something coming at 85 MPH hit your head, and it's never an actual save, the puck is going high anyway. 'Joe, he played it off his head on purpose!'

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#30 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:34 AM

45151099.jpg

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#31 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

Jeez don't hate on the Queen everybody and don't dare start a thread poking fun at him, it interrupts all the Marty hating and bashing and upsets the Ranger fans.

gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#32 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

https://twitter.com/...1739649/photo/1

not really sure where this goes but brodeur was in a jeopardy question the other day.  Just another thing he can cross off his list of things to do

#33 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

https://twitter.com/...1739649/photo/1

not really sure where this goes but brodeur was in a jeopardy question the other day. Just another thing he can cross off his list of things to do

That's awesome.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#34 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

Trebek gets to submit one hockey question per season !

#35 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

I figured Trebek had something to do with that one...
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#36 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

I figured Trebek had something to do with that one...

Trebek gets to submit one hockey question per season !

is this true?

#37 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

Lundqvist is a good goalie, possibly even good enough to win 40 games in a season (though that's unlikely). He's not good enough to carry his team to a cup though. If the Bruins don't hit 100 posts and crossbars against the Habs the Rags don't even get to finals to begin with. The Rags got lucky this year, and won't be back to the finals for a long time. If Rags fans don't see that, then they will eventually. For the 1% of their fans that aren't @sshats (really, it's just that 99% of them that ruin it for everybody ;) ) they should enjoy the trip and take it for what it is, like '12 was for us basically, a one and done.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#38 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

So I'm confused...   did Marty get a drink or not.  

Was a glass not available?

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#39 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

The Rags got lucky this year, and won't be back to the finals for a long time. If Rags fans don't see that, then they will eventually. For the 1% of their fans that aren't @sshats (really, it's just that 99% of them that ruin it for everybody ;) ) they should enjoy the trip and take it for what it is, like '12 was for us basically, a one and done.

I really hope this is true, but I'm not as confident as you. For one, the new playoff format rewards teams in weak divisions, and the metro by far looks the weakest right now. Are you trusting the pens to keep the rags from another conference finals appearance? Because after them (and they come with their own serious questions) there's a whole lot of questions in this division.

#40 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

So I'm confused...   did Marty get a drink or not.  

Was a glass not available?

question is was the glass half full or half empty for Marty !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users