314 replies to this topic

#221 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

Go back and read the thread. I reported on Kovy's bowl movements.

Haha!  Good investigative reporting during that period.  The piece on Kovy's inability to break down corn and seeds during his disgestive process was pulitzer prize winning stuff.  I guess I stand corrected then.  :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#222 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

The Decision probably got better ratings than anything hockey in the US has. 

Doesn't mean we have to like it.  And doesn't make it any less ridiculous.  I'm sure you could find a lot of people that thought Jack and Jill was quality cinema.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#223 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

The NBA is a joke.  I don't find basketball that interesting.  I feel that hockey, soccer, and even football are more team-oriented sports compared to basketball or baseball.  

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#224 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,073 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

Doesn't mean we have to like it.  And doesn't make it any less ridiculous.  I'm sure you could find a lot of people that thought Jack and Jill was quality cinema.

You don't have to like it, but you do have to be able to look at yourselves - this place went nuts for Kovalchuk all summer.  And Kovalchuk isn't even a quarter of what LeBron James is.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#225 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

ESPN manufactures a ton of sh!t, but where LeBron was going and how it affects the entire landscape of the NBA was definitely worth the coverage. Of course, a number of ESPN's pathetic reports (mainly Chris Broussard) embarrassed themselves.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#226 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

ESPN manufactures a ton of sh!t, but where LeBron was going and how it affects the entire landscape of the NBA was definitely worth the coverage. Of course, a number of ESPN's pathetic reports (mainly Chris Broussard) embarrassed themselves.

haha he changed his mind every day. like literally everyday he leaned a different way.

like this picture?  wtf is that?

https://i.embed.ly/1...JyWCYAEOMIt.jpg

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#227 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

You don't have to like it, but you do have to be able to look at yourselves - this place went nuts for Kovalchuk all summer.  And Kovalchuk isn't even a quarter of what LeBron James is.

I don't care so much about basketball fans talking about it.  But he does everything he can to turn it into a giant spectacle, as does ESPN, and it's the second time he's done it already. 

Oh well, nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American people.

EDIT:  Uggh, dear lord, he wrote a friggin' essay about it, in which he pats himself on the back for not having a party or a press conference. 

Edited by Daniel, 11 July 2014 - 01:35 PM.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#228 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

I don't care so much about basketball fans talking about it.  But he does everything he can to turn it into a giant spectacle, as does ESPN, and it's the second time he's done it already. 

Oh well, nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American people.

What did LeBron do that made it a giant spectacle? This was 100% created by the media and fans wanting to know. LeBron stayed quiet the entire time while weighing his options. As for 'The Decision', it was good business for everyone, and the Boys and Girls Club received about $7-8 million for it.

It's amazing how many hate LeBron. He can't win at all.

Edited by devilsrule33, 11 July 2014 - 01:54 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#229 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

What did LeBron do that made it a giant spectacle? This was 100% created by the media and fans wanting to know. LeBron stayed quiet the entire time while waying his options. As for 'The Decision', it was good business for everyone, and the Boys and Girls Club received about $7-8 million for it.

It's amazing how much hate LeBron. He can't win at all.

The funny thing is, I don't really hate him, as I don't follow and don't care about basketball.  I dunno, but something about the whole thing rubs me the wrong way, and it probably has everything to do with ESPN being a part of it.  I remember being just as annoyed when ESPN tried to turn the Brett Favre retirement/unretirement fiasco into the biggest thing since Pearl Harbor.  In that instance though, it was just kind of a pathetic sideshow.

Posted Image

#230 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,099 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

The Decision probably got better ratings than anything hockey in the US has. 

What does that have to do with anything? So does reality TV. It's still ridiculous. You're comparing a cable company with a message board.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#231 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,073 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

What does that have to do with anything? So does reality TV. It's still ridiculous. You're comparing a cable company with a message board.

Wow, sick argument.  Let's follow the logic of this one, shall we?

You:  Lebron is ridiculous, the hype of ESPN is stupid

Me:  njdevs.com went just as crazy for Kovalchuk 

You:  I don't remember there being a TV show for Kovalchuk

Me:  that TV show probably got higher ratings than anything NHL related

You:  So does reality TV.

Reality TV is not sports programming.  I am comparing sports and you are comparing something else.  So basically you are not seeing at all that the LeBron story is the Kovalchuk writ much larger - first of all, basketball is more popular, and second, top players in basketball are way more important than in the NHL, and LeBron is the best player in the world.  Are you saying that if Kovalchuk had had a TV show to announce his decision, you wouldn't've watched it?  You might've thought it stupid, but you would've watched.  

#232 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,099 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

Wow, sick argument.  Let's follow the logic of this one, shall we?

You:  Lebron is ridiculous, the hype of ESPN is stupid

Me:  njdevs.com went just as crazy for Kovalchuk 

You:  I don't remember there being a TV show for Kovalchuk

Me:  that TV show probably got higher ratings than anything NHL related

You:  So does reality TV.

Reality TV is not sports programming.  I am comparing sports and you are comparing something else.  So basically you are not seeing at all that the LeBron story is the Kovalchuk writ much larger - first of all, basketball is more popular, and second, top players in basketball are way more important than in the NHL, and LeBron is the best player in the world.  Are you saying that if Kovalchuk had had a TV show to announce his decision, you wouldn't've watched it?  You might've thought it stupid, but you would've watched.  

Wow, sick word twisting. Lets try it again, shall we? I didn't say reality TV is sports programming. I said just because something has ratings doesn't mean I don't think something is dumb, like Lebron-fest or reality TV. As usual, you have a huge problem with someone having the nerve to not agree with you. I'm not a fan of the ESPN hype no matter what it is and you pointing out that people around here were gaga for Kovalchuk doesn't change that.

And you have no idea what I'd watch. No, I wouldn't watch a Kovalchuk show. I checked NJDevs or Twitter every once in a while to see if anything happened and went about my day. I'm not going to watch a millionaire make a decision for an hour. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 11 July 2014 - 03:10 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#233 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

If Crosby were in a similar situation, and especially if one of the teams in the running were the Leafs, would Canadian media be just as saturated with his "decision".  Yeah, there would probably be a lot of hype, but I sincerely doubt there would be a television special devoted to the "Decision".  And I also doubt that if Crosby had the "Decision 2.0", he wouldn't pen an essay for SI or a Canadian equivalent and then claim he was trying to be modest about the whole thing

Of course, the irony here is that we're all talking about LeBron.  That's the genius of it I suppose.

Posted Image

#234 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

Geez if I wanted to hear this much about Lebron I'd actually watch espn.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 11 July 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#235 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,073 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

If Crosby were in a similar situation, and especially if one of the teams in the running were the Leafs, would Canadian media be just as saturated with his "decision".  Yeah, there would probably be a lot of hype, but I sincerely doubt there would be a television special devoted to the "Decision".  And I also doubt that if Crosby had the "Decision 2.0", he wouldn't pen an essay for SI or a Canadian equivalent and then claim he was trying to be modest about the whole thing

Of course, the irony here is that we're all talking about LeBron.  That's the genius of it I suppose.

No, I don't think there would be, there I agree with you - The Decision is one of the stranger things I've seen on TV, and is regarded as a huge mis-step by everyone, including, I think, LeBron himself.  But the Canadian media would be going nuts in this fashion.

#236 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

This is why I like hockey the most out of all sports. There's no huge spectacle.

#237 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

oh wow a lebron james thread on njdevs
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#238 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

There is a spectacle about everything in Canada. If you got TSN, you'd see free agency, trade deadline, the draft is like LeBron all the time.

Also, there is no comparable in hockey at all for where LeBron going and what it means to the league. Half the league has created gigantic cap space hoping for a star. LeBron is the biggest one, but it is the beginning of many chain reactions. Even though there is no comparable, if this was Crosby, it be just as big as in Canada.

As for talking about LeBron, big deal. We have argued the same points about Brodeur for 4 months. It's a slight change of topic in mid July for one page.

As for 'The Decision', it was a bad move by him that was probably the fault of his people around him, but it was still for a great cause and delivered gigantic ratings.

The NHL sort of had that with the lockout draft lottery where everyone had a chance for Crosby.

Edited by devilsrule33, 11 July 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#239 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

At Schneider's signing I was happy to read Lou's comments about Marty, where all of his words were in the past tense.  "Had a great career here" etc.

I'm finally reassured that unless a catastrophe happened, we'll  not see Marty on our roster again.

GOAT !

#240 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

At Schneider's signing I was happy to read Lou's comments about Marty, where all of his words were in the past tense.  "Had a great career here" etc.

I'm finally reassured that unless a catastrophe happened, we'll  not see Marty on our roster again.

GOAT !

Lou has been saying this kind of thing since the draft.  Give me a break.  

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users