314 replies to this topic

#141 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

I don't think Brodeur ever intended to sign Day 1. I think he wanted to take his time and wait for all the offers to come in, then evaluate them, talk to the GMs, etc. Now he's under the delusion that there will be lots of teams interested in his services. Plus he doesn't want to get caught up in the 'frenzy' - there's only a few more opportunities for him to say to the media how exciting free agency is, and to be 'the big name' in free agency. He'll still generate headlines by his unsignedness.

St. Louis is still a theoretical landing spot; I forgot about them. But boy are potential destinations closing out fast.

We'll know tomorrow, I think. If Brodeur's still giving optimistic interviews, he'll sign somewhere eventually. If he's not talking to the media at all, his opportunities will have closed up.

I was thinking St. Louis too but i think they are goin to give Jake Allen his chance. I forget the exact number but I think he was over .930 in the AHL last year.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#142 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

I'm hearing Brodeur has narrowed his choices down to two....KHL and Swedish League.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#143 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

LeBrun tweeted that Brodeur talked with Pittsburgh and Tampa and there wasn't a fit, and that he's prepared to wait 'all summer [if necessary]'.  Boy, and I thought I was told that there were 6 teams interested and he was guaranteed to go somewhere.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#144 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

LeBrun tweeted that Brodeur talked with Pittsburgh and Tampa and there wasn't a fit, and that he's prepared to wait 'all summer [if necessary]'.  Boy, and I thought I was told that there were 6 teams interested and he was guaranteed to go somewhere.

Wasn't a fit with his salary demands, his role, the amount of games, his ability to tell the coach when he plays, the guaranteed Habs home games....or was it all?

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#145 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

This is exactly why I get frustrated every time he speaks. This is tough to watch, it sounds like he could have signed with a team or two but he wanted more money. I thought he just wanted to play....

Please just retire, it was a fun and memorable last game as a Devil. Go out on that note.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#146 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

Here's the tweet

Brodeur camp did talk to likes of TB and Pitt but obviously no deals there... Will be very patient... even if it takes all summer....

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#147 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,722 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

There might have been six teams interested until they talked with him lol...Toronto was supposed to be hot for him early on but that cooled significantly.

He can wait all summer if he wants, all the chairs are getting filled quick.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#148 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Lol Marty... don't be greedy on top of that

• Pierre LeBrun: Hearing the Penguins did speak with Martin Brodeur but they couldn’t make the money work

www.SterioDesign.com

#149 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

Lol Marty... don't be greedy on top of that

• Pierre LeBrun: Hearing the Penguins did speak with Martin Brodeur but they couldn’t make the money work

When I saw this, I realized Marty must have went off the deep end completely

He is trying to dictate playing time AND making financial demands?!?!?

Just hang em up #30, it was a great run

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#150 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

He can't think that he's still going to get paid 4.5 or 5 million a year.  THAT's delusional.  I hope Cory understands this thing that Brodeur doesn't seem to get.  This nagging fact that there's only 60 spots, if there's one available, you take it, especially if your reasoning is for "the love of the game".  If players would be in the NHL for simply and only the "love of the game", we would see a lot more players on lower salaries regardless of the team.  That being said, back to Marty. 

I can't imagine that he's asking for that much money, but I don't think he has enough experience in the free agent scene and isn't nearly aggressive enough.  I'm sure Pittsburgh was looking at all the available options. 

"We can sign Marty Brodeur for 2.5/3million per year or we can sign someone like Greiss, who's younger, better, and cheaper than Brodeur." 
"You sold me! Mr. Lemieux!"

I feel for you Marty, I really do.  I can imagine that being a free agent 'tender is very different to being a skater free agent.  Just simply less jobs out there. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#151 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

vokoun, bryz, thomas are still out there and reimer asked for a trade so teams have younger and better options than Marty i'd think and there's only a few spots left.

if marty signs i assume its gonna go kind of like turco in his last season

www.SterioDesign.com

#152 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

Brodeur probably wants $2M.  Can't imagine where his agent has told him where that is going to come from.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#153 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

at this point i just want him to retire already.. i mean i love the guy but before he starts embaressing his own name if it hasnt started already.. its time to go on
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#154 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

I think Lou can wait this out too.  Clemmer has a 2 way deal.   This experience should wake Marty up.  1-year deal here for $1 million and retire a Devil.  

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#155 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

Poor Marty, all these alerts going off on our NHL app's and nothing to do with him. 

#156 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

1-year deal here for $1 million and retire a Devil.  

God I hope not.

I'd love to see him retire now, always having been a Devil. 

I can accept him playing another season for someone else, even if I think he shouldn't.

But please, please, pullleeeeeeezze don't come back for another season with the Devils.

#157 Jmorc2003

Jmorc2003

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Adult D league at Floyd Hall Arena in Montclair.  

Would have stayed close to home at Codey, but they didn't have room.  

#158 JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

Griess is picked up for 1 Mill by Pitt

Nabakov 1.5 Mill from Twampa

Peters 1.9 Mil from Washington

idk how high of an offer Lou would go but I bet the highest offer 30 has is or would be from NJ (to be a happy backup 20 game tops)

anyone else think the same non-trade interest for 30 at the trade deadline is just as quiet in free agency?

#159 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

GMs have really done their homework on Marty. They see a guy who's not only put up a .901 save% the past two seasons, but has really been more of an .880ish guy save for a hot streak or two, is old, and whose GAA benefitted heavily from the team in front of him keeping shots down. They see that Cory put up very good numbers behind the same team. They know that it's just about impossible to hide a goalie who's only going to decline further. And they know there's better goalies who cost less who will embrace their roles quietly and with no negative fanfare.

GMs, to their credit, have been able to see past the name, the achievements, and the 688 wins and see Marty for what he is: no longer good, old, and potentially a headache. Sucks for Marty, but hopefully he's starting to wake up and smell reality.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#160 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

Brodeur probably wants $2M.  Can't imagine where his agent has told him where that is going to come from.  

good luck w.that marty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users