Kings Parade vs Hawks Parade

msweet

The photo was posted here FYI.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133795&page=42

A couple of things: It seems like an unfair shot. The Kings had a parade that ended in the arena for speeches and what not. The Hawks kept the entire thing outside. And even then it's really just a BS side-by-side shot. Why does it need to be compared to the Blackhawks parade? Chicago is a sports town and the city shutdown for both Hawks parades. There was an estimated 1.5million+ for each parade. Those celebrations would make any team's parade in any sport look silly. Seems like the photos were put together by some butt-hurt Hawks fan. The same kind of people that sh!t on the Devils' lightly attended "parades".

The Kings had a pretty nice sized crowd for their apparently. Estimated that a few hundred thousand people showed up.

Usually the numbers for these parades or even political protests are wildly exaggerated. There is zero chance that there were even close to 1.5 million people at any parade for any pro sports champion. The city of Chicago has a population of less than 3 million. The metropolitan area is about 9 million, which mean about 20 percent of the entire area went to the parade, probably more than actually watched the games.

The main reason why more people were probably at the Blackhawks parade was that it was in an area that a lot of people work. They might even count the people that just happen to be in their offices as there for the parade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

Actual facebook post from a Rangers fan: 

"LOL the Los Angeles Kings had their parade today to celebrate their Stanley Cup victory this year. They said an estimated 300,000 fans showed up for the celebration. That's it?! Wow. Great fans guys. On top of it, they probably don't even know they won the cup 2 years ago and that they even had Gretzky on their team at one point!"

"LOL the Los Angeles Kings had their parade today to celebrate their Stanley Cup victory this year. They said an estimated 300,000 fans showed up for the celebration. That's it?! Wow. Great fans guys. On top of it, they probably don't even know they won the cup 2 years ago and that they even had Gretzky on their team at one point!"

this is the reason we have a "Rangers Suck and Marty and the Queen have a drink" thread

eff them

Kings have been around since 1967 and in that time only found relevance with the Gretzky acquisition (1988).   The Hawks are an original 6 with decades of roots in the market.

This is why the League wanted Chicago, not LA in the Finals.

Again, what's more idiotic about this post is that even the New York Giants, Yankees and even the Mets in 1986 probably did not have 300,000 people actually make a conscious decision to go the parade, and the Kings did not either.

The inflated numbers come from the people that happen to be in the area at the time of the parade, and even that number is probably exaggerated. 

Again, what's more idiotic about this post is that even the New York Giants, Yankees and even the Mets in 1986 probably did not have 300,000 people actually make a conscious decision to go the parade, and the Kings did not either.

The inflated numbers come from the people that happen to be in the area at the time of the parade, and even that number is probably exaggerated. 

The Blackhawks' parades may have had 1million+. I have never seen anything like them. I know they are usually inflated but...see for yourself

Kings have been around since 1967 and in that time only found relevance with the Gretzky acquisition (1988).   The Hawks are an original 6 with decades of roots in the market.

This is why the League wanted Chicago, not LA in the Finals.

Nah, that Original Six hype/"aura" is brainwashing garbage (no offense to you). Until Boston won 4 years ago or so, it was just a bunch of perennial underachieving teams lacking relevance in the league and, especially in Chicago's case, with no one even going to the games or giving a sh!t. The Bostons, Chicagos, New Yorks, these cities weren't "hockey crazy" cities 4-5 years ago.

The franchises I'll give credit to for tradition and "aura", for lack of a better word, are the Habs and Detroit.

Edited by DJ Eco

The Blackhawks' parades may have had 1million+. I have never seen anything like them. I know they are usually inflated but...see for yourself

It's hard to imagine big a figure 1 million people actually is.

To put it in perspective, it's about 2/3 of the total population of Manhattan.  It's larger than the entire population of Boston.  It's more than twice the number of US servicemen killed in WWII.  It's nearly twice the number of US servicemen that were deployed to Vietnam, and about twenty times the number of US servicemen killed in Vietnam. 

Or, this is a photo of the crowd at Woodstock, which drew 400,000 people total.

woodstock-7.jpg

Chicago's ownership was actually worse than the Mets' current ownership, they alienated an entire generation of fans by not putting the games on TV and not acknowledging their past legends. They always had a big fanbase, they were just staying away until Dollar Bill croaked.

This isnt fair to LA. 300,000 is an excellent number for a city with crap public transportation. Daniel also is spot on in saying many of the Chi/NY parades include people who just happen to be in the area. Lord knows we will get hammered for our next cup parade.

Edited by devlman

Nah, that Original Six hype/"aura" is brainwashing garbage (no offense to you). Until Boston won 4 years ago or so, it was just a bunch of perennial underachieving teams lacking relevance in the league and, especially in Chicago's case, with no one even going to the games or giving a sh!t. The Bostons, Chicagos, New Yorks, these cities weren't "hockey crazy" cities 4-5 years ago.

The franchises I'll give credit to for tradition and "aura", for lack of a better word, are the Habs and Detroit.

bravo, some nhl fans need to have this pounded in their face. Folks in Chicago weren't screaming "Original 6!" Back in 2001-2007. I'm tired of hearing about original 6- the only people who care and should care are fans of those teams, and even they often can't get their own history straight (I bet 90% of rags fans couldn't name me a rags goalie that played before richter.)

This whole idea that because a team is old it should be treated better is nonsense that seems only to resonate with nhl fans. I dont see it in any other North American sports league.

Plus, Why should the Blackhawks be proud of being an original 6 when they only won 2 cups in the first 34 years as an original 6?

Edited by dmann422

Usually the numbers for these parades or even political protests are wildly exaggerated. There is zero chance that there were even close to 1.5 million people at any parade for any pro sports champion. The city of Chicago has a population of less than 3 million. The metropolitan area is about 9 million, which mean about 20 percent of the entire area went to the parade, probably more than actually watched the games.

The main reason why more people were probably at the Blackhawks parade was that it was in an area that a lot of people work. They might even count the people that just happen to be in their offices as there for the parade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's hard to imagine big a figure 1 million people actually is.

To put it in perspective, it's about 2/3 of the total population of Manhattan.  It's larger than the entire population of Boston.  It's more than twice the number of US servicemen killed in WWII.  It's nearly twice the number of US servicemen that were deployed to Vietnam, and about twenty times the number of US servicemen killed in Vietnam. 

Or, this is a photo of the crowd at Woodstock, which drew 400,000 people total.

woodstock-7.jpg

I don't think your comparisons there are all that meaningful. A few college football stadiums regularly draw 100k people for just an average game, it's not that crazy to me to think a city (and it's surrounding areas) would churn out a group in the million range.

I don't think your comparisons there are all that meaningful. A few college football stadiums regularly draw 100k people for just an average game, it's not that crazy to me to think a city (and it's surrounding areas) would churn out a group in the million range.

Still zero chance.  Some other comparisons if it helps.  Ridership for the entire NJ Transit system for an entire weekday is 940,000.  One million people amounts to 1/5 of the total ridership of the entire New York City subway system for an entire day.  (And I don't even know if you split that number roughly in half since many of those people are at least taking two separate trips). 

At their peak, the SCF had 6 million viewers for the entire country.  There is no way you are going to get a figure even close to one out of every six people that turned on the television in the entire country to watch the thing in their living room to actually go to a parade in Chicago

And college football is an order of magnitude more popular than the NHL, and the games take place on Saturdays where virtually the entire state is tuning in. If you put the crowd at your average Michigan home game on a flat surface, it would probably look about as big as  the pictures of the crowd at the Hawks parade.

Edited by Daniel

Still zero chance.  Some other comparisons if it helps.  Ridership for the entire NJ Transit system for an entire weekday is 940,000.  One million people amounts to 1/5 of the total ridership of the entire New York City subway system for an entire day.  (And I don't even know if you split that number roughly in half since many of those people are at least taking two separate trips). 

At they're peak, the SCF had 6 million viewers for the entire country.  There is no way you are going to get a figure even close to one out of every six people that turned on the television in the entire country to watch the thing in their living room to actually go to a parade in Chicago

And college football is an order of magnitude more popular than the NHL, and the games take place on Saturdays where virtually the entire state is tuning in. 

Wiki says game 6 drew over 8 million viewers for the blackhawks. Chicago drew 30.2 which I believe just means households watching the game, and their TV market is 3.5 million.

So 1 million households in the Chicago area watched the final game, you don't think it's likely that of those, say 1 out of 3 people went to the parade and took their spouse / kids with them?

I do.

At they're peak, the SCF had 6 million viewers for the entire country.  There is no way you are going to get a figure even close to one out of every six people that turned on the television in the entire country to watch the thing in their living room to actually go to a parade in Chicago

And college football is an order of magnitude more popular than the NHL, and the games take place on Saturdays where virtually the entire state is tuning in. If you put the crowd at your average Michigan home game on a flat surface, it would probably look about as big as  the pictures of the crowd at the Hawks parade.

Forget the countries ratings. Those ratings were large because of the Chicago market.. I mean about 42% of households in Chicago watched the Hawks win the Cup. That's a huge. Then you take into account other sports fans in Chicago that just want to enjoy a nice day outside with the rest of the city. It's one giant party and an excuse to skip work/school, etc.

For the record, it was estimated at 2 million, so half of that seems reasonable. Look how many rows back the parade rout was too. It's not that short a route.

Wiki says game 6 drew over 8 million viewers for the blackhawks. Chicago drew 30.2 which I believe just means households watching the game, and their TV market is 3.5 million.

So 1 million households in the Chicago area watched the final game, you don't think it's likely that of those, say 1 out of 3 people went to the parade and took their spouse / kids with them?

I do.

This wiki entry says 6 million people watched Game 5.  i assume it means nationwide, unless I'm missing something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup_Finals_television_ratings

This wiki entry says 6 million people watched Game 5.  i assume it means nationwide, unless I'm missing something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup_Finals_television_ratings

Isn't the estimate in question (the 1.5m claim) about Chicago? Both game 6's ('10 and '13 final games) had had over 8m. I believe my ratings quote above was from an article refering to the 2013 win.

Isn't the estimate in question (the 1.5m claim) about Chicago? Both game 6's ('10 and '13 final games) had had over 8m. I believe my ratings quote above was from an article refering to the 2013 win.

Right, but the exercise is to determine whether the claim even 1 million people went to the parade is plausible. So whether it's 8 million or 6 million, it's ultimately the amount of people in the entire country that just turned on their TV to watch the game. So no matter how many people watched the game in the Chicago area or live around there, it's a safe assumption that far far fewer of them are going to a parade on a weekday to celebrate a championship for a team they weren't even rooting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, but the exercise is to determine whether the claim even 1 million people went to the parade is plausible. So whether it's 8 million or 6 million, it's ultimately the amount of people in the entire country that just turned on their TV to watch the game. So no matter how many people watched the game in the Chicago area or live around there, it's a safe assumption that far far fewer of them are going to a parade on a weekday to celebrate a championship for a team they weren't even rooting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are just going to have to disagree. You should see the jump from any big market in the game before the clinching one to the winning one. That might be because you have Baseball fans or Football fans wanting to watch a Chicago Sports team celebrate a championship. It could be because everyone in the city is talking about it, and even though you don't care about sports, you'll check it out. It could be because anyone who is a Hawks fan that has work/school/other commitments is cancelling them to watch the game.

Then it comes to parade day. The entire city is stopping. It's an excuse to party. Maybe your boss is a giants Hawks fan, and he is closing the office for the day. Like someone said, you take your spouse or your kids. You tell your friends, "I know you don't care about sports, but let's skip school/work and have a great time DT with the entire city"...is that person saying no?

Edited by devilsrule33