33 replies to this topic

#21 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

Still zero chance.  Some other comparisons if it helps.  Ridership for the entire NJ Transit system for an entire weekday is 940,000.  One million people amounts to 1/5 of the total ridership of the entire New York City subway system for an entire day.  (And I don't even know if you split that number roughly in half since many of those people are at least taking two separate trips). 

At they're peak, the SCF had 6 million viewers for the entire country.  There is no way you are going to get a figure even close to one out of every six people that turned on the television in the entire country to watch the thing in their living room to actually go to a parade in Chicago

And college football is an order of magnitude more popular than the NHL, and the games take place on Saturdays where virtually the entire state is tuning in. If you put the crowd at your average Michigan home game on a flat surface, it would probably look about as big as  the pictures of the crowd at the Hawks parade.

Forget the countries ratings. Those ratings were large because of the Chicago market.. I mean about 42% of households in Chicago watched the Hawks win the Cup. That's a huge. Then you take into account other sports fans in Chicago that just want to enjoy a nice day outside with the rest of the city. It's one giant party and an excuse to skip work/school, etc.

For the record, it was estimated at 2 million, so half of that seems reasonable. Look how many rows back the parade rout was too. It's not that short a route.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

Wiki says game 6 drew over 8 million viewers for the blackhawks. Chicago drew 30.2 which I believe just means households watching the game, and their TV market is 3.5 million.

So 1 million households in the Chicago area watched the final game, you don't think it's likely that of those, say 1 out of 3 people went to the parade and took their spouse / kids with them?

I do.

This wiki entry says 6 million people watched Game 5.  i assume it means nationwide, unless I'm missing something.

http://en.wikipedia....evision_ratings

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#23 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

This wiki entry says 6 million people watched Game 5.  i assume it means nationwide, unless I'm missing something.

http://en.wikipedia....evision_ratings

Isn't the estimate in question (the 1.5m claim) about Chicago? Both game 6's ('10 and '13 final games) had had over 8m. I believe my ratings quote above was from an article refering to the 2013 win.

#24 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Isn't the estimate in question (the 1.5m claim) about Chicago? Both game 6's ('10 and '13 final games) had had over 8m. I believe my ratings quote above was from an article refering to the 2013 win.

Right, but the exercise is to determine whether the claim even 1 million people went to the parade is plausible. So whether it's 8 million or 6 million, it's ultimately the amount of people in the entire country that just turned on their TV to watch the game. So no matter how many people watched the game in the Chicago area or live around there, it's a safe assumption that far far fewer of them are going to a parade on a weekday to celebrate a championship for a team they weren't even rooting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#25 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,266 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

Right, but the exercise is to determine whether the claim even 1 million people went to the parade is plausible. So whether it's 8 million or 6 million, it's ultimately the amount of people in the entire country that just turned on their TV to watch the game. So no matter how many people watched the game in the Chicago area or live around there, it's a safe assumption that far far fewer of them are going to a parade on a weekday to celebrate a championship for a team they weren't even rooting for.

We are just going to have to disagree. You should see the jump from any big market in the game before the clinching one to the winning one. That might be because you have Baseball fans or Football fans wanting to watch a Chicago Sports team celebrate a championship. It could be because everyone in the city is talking about it, and even though you don't care about sports, you'll check it out. It could be because anyone who is a Hawks fan that has work/school/other commitments is cancelling them to watch the game.

Then it comes to parade day. The entire city is stopping. It's an excuse to party. Maybe your boss is a giants Hawks fan, and he is closing the office for the day. Like someone said, you take your spouse or your kids. You tell your friends, "I know you don't care about sports, but let's skip school/work and have a great time DT with the entire city"...is that person saying no?

Edited by devilsrule33, 18 June 2014 - 12:35 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#26 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

I think location matters, over a million households in the Chicago area watched the game. I think that's a lot more relevant then the total number of people who watched. I did assume far fewer attended then watched, I said 1 in 3. might be less, might be more. But those are households, who, on average probably have at least a spouse and a kid that they would take with them.

Then there are people who are outside the TV market who traveled to Chicago, there is probably another big chunk of people aren't really hockey fans but wanted to celebrate Chicago winning something and as DR33 said, a lot of people who used it as an excuse to take a day off school / work. Seems completely feasible to me.

#27 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,009 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

This isnt fair to LA. 300,000 is an excellent number for a city with crap public transportation. Daniel also is spot on in saying many of the Chi/NY parades include people who just happen to be in the area. Lord knows we will get hammered for our next cup parade.

We should be so lucky to be getting 'hammered' for a Cup parade lol.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#28 lilgriffey84

lilgriffey84

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

People fail to realize that LA shares a hockey market with 2 other nhl teams. Where as Chicago has its own market that spreads throught all of Illinois most of Wisconsin,Indianna and Iowa

#29 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

We are just going to have to disagree. You should see the jump from any big market in the game before the clinching one to the winning one. That might be because you have Baseball fans or Football fans wanting to watch a Chicago Sports team celebrate a championship. It could be because everyone in the city is talking about it, and even though you don't care about sports, you'll check it out. It could be because anyone who is a Hawks fan that has work/school/other commitments is cancelling them to watch the game.

Then it comes to parade day. The entire city is stopping. It's an excuse to party. Maybe your boss is a giants Hawks fan, and he is closing the office for the day. Like someone said, you take your spouse or your kids. You tell your friends, "I know you don't care about sports, but let's skip school/work and have a great time DT with the entire city"...is that person saying no?

You're right that there's not much further we can take this.  The last thing I'll do to try to convince you otherwise is to show you an aerial view of a packed Central Park Great Lawn (about 13 acres) for the Garth Brooks free concert which at one time had a grossly exaggerated attendance figure of 750,000.

This article tells you that all of those numbers for free concerts at Central Park are complete fantasy.

http://www.nytimes.c...about.html?_r=0

Anyway, this is what the Garth Brooks concert looked like.

garth_brooks_central_park.jpg

These are the best aerial views I could find of the Blackhawks parade.

Screen-Shot-2013-06-28-at-12.12.12-PM-48

Screen-Shot-2013-06-28-at-12.12.45-PM-48

Again, I don't know how one can plausibly say that anymore than 500,000 people showed up for the Hawks parade, and even that's probably exaggerated.

Posted Image

#30 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,287 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

People fail to realize that LA shares a hockey market with 2 other nhl teams. Where as Chicago has its own market that spreads throught all of Illinois most of Wisconsin,Indianna and Iowa

San Jose is 6 to 7 hours away. Not the same market at all.

#31 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

I'd guess most of the casual hockey crowd in those areas were Detroit Red Wings fans for a long time, with a few people switching over to Minnesota and recently Chicago because of their 2 Cups. 

#32 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,448 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

Nah, that Original Six hype/"aura" is brainwashing garbage (no offense to you). Until Boston won 4 years ago or so, it was just a bunch of perennial underachieving teams lacking relevance in the league and, especially in Chicago's case, with no one even going to the games or giving a sh!t. The Bostons, Chicagos, New Yorks, these cities weren't "hockey crazy" cities 4-5 years ago.

The franchises I'll give credit to for tradition and "aura", for lack of a better word, are the Habs and Detroit.

The point wasn't that original six, meant a type of status, I merely meant they have a long history in the market, as opposed to LA which is relatively new by comparison

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#33 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

I wish we had a parade that we could be arguing about like we are with these.

#34 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

These pictures are misleading. I've seen several pictures of LAs parade that looked absolutely mobbed. Our next parade is going to look great, Newark blocks are so tight, we're going to be piled on top of one another, obviously considering the route. Wasn't the parade on Monday, during the USA-Ghana game?

Edited by thecoffeecake, 20 June 2014 - 05:25 PM.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users