64 replies to this topic

#41 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Stupid.... Not you, but Hextall. Getting rid of Richards/Carter was a king of the jungle move and look how that panned out. Now they get rid of arguably their #2 leader... again...

My money's on Columbus making a nice playoff run next year.

In retrospect the Carter and Richards trades are pretty big wins for Philly. It just looks worse because LA won two cups in three years (they have CBJ to thank, twice)

#42 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

In retrospect the Carter and Richards trades are pretty big wins for Philly. It just looks worse because LA won two cups in three years (they have CBJ to thank, twice)

I agree.. They got solid young pieces in return on that one.. The JVR trade though was just horrific, and makes me jealous that we haven't fleeced someone like that recently as well

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#43 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

I agree.. They got solid young pieces in return on that one.. The JVR trade though was just horrific, and makes me jealous that we haven't fleeced someone like that recently as well

The Schneider trade is pretty close

#44 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Stupid move by the Flyers. They save 2 years of contract by trading for a guy whose primary position last season was 'the healthy scratch'? But not complaining, love to see them crap the bed.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#45 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

Judging by fans' and GMs' reactions around the league, the Schneider trade was an absolute fleecing. I don't think anyone thinks Vancouver won that one. You'll remember commentators during/after the draft talking about other GMs being left with their jaws wide open in disbelief. It was bad, and Lou did it on the big (live) stage of the NHL Draft, which all of Canada watches on TV religiously.

Edited by DJ Eco, 24 June 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#46 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

Stupid.... Not you, but Hextall. Getting rid of Richards/Carter was a king of the jungle move and look how that panned out. Now they get rid of arguably their #2 leader... again...

My money's on Columbus making a nice playoff run next year.

To be fair there were rumblings that Hartnell was a bit of a problem earlier in the year. Don't know how true they were but there might be some reasoning behind the move being made.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#47 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

To be fair there were rumblings that Hartnell was a bit of a problem earlier in the year. Don't know how true they were but there might be some reasoning behind the move being made.

I heard he had an affair with Rod Brind A'Mour's wife. Or is it the other way around?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#48 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,748 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

I heard he had an affair with Rod Brind A'Mour's wife. Or is it the other way around?

I think you're thinking of Lindros... There was a rumor a few years ago that Carter was banging Hartnell's wife though.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#49 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

Man, Flyers are dirty even off the ice.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#50 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

I think you're thinking of Lindros... There was a rumor a few years ago that Carter was banging Hartnell's wife though.

Yeah, I was making light of the fact that there's always a rumor about someone in the Flyers having an affair with a teammate's wife. They take on many different forms, but they seem unique to the Flyers for some reason.

It's hockey's version of Mikey's stomach melting from pop rocks and coke.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#51 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,748 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, I was making light of the fact that there's always a rumor about someone in the Flyers having an affair with a teammate's wife. They take on many different forms, but they seem unique to the Flyers for some reason.

It's hockey's version of Mikey's stomach melting from pop rocks and coke.

Lmfao, yeah there's something in the water down there... Whatever it is, it causes everyone to commit adultery with each other and repels winning. :P
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#52 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

Judging by fans' and GMs' reactions around the league, the Schneider trade was an absolute fleecing. I don't think anyone thinks Vancouver won that one. You'll remember commentators during/after the draft talking about other GMs being left with their jaws wide open in disbelief. It was bad, and Lou did it on the big (live) stage of the NHL Draft, which all of Canada watches on TV religiously.

Damn you guys are right, and he did it in front of an arena of fans as well as GMs.. Looking back on it, that was pretty boss, and he gave a look that said he knew it too haha

u3enegy6.jpg

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#53 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

Damn you guys are right, and he did it in front of an arena of fans as well as GMs.. Looking back on it, that was pretty boss, and he gave a look that said he knew it too haha

u3enegy6.jpg

I'm pretty sure Lou is the Devil himself.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#54 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

haha Yeah! He even got Vancouver's GM not to disclose any of it before the Draft, regardless of the trade being finalized on the Saturday, possible Friday night before Sunday's draft. Sure the reasons were probably "not to put a damper on the fans' attendance to the draft", but essentially, he held the news for the big stage which was pretty embarrassing for Vancouver. I'm sure Bo Horvat will do well in the league, but still... Even then, most people thought Vancouver could've had Horvat later in the round regardless, I don't remember him being ranked in the top 10 or 15 for that matter..

Edited by DJ Eco, 24 June 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#55 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

I'm not so sure this is as much a fleecing as some are making it out to be. I see hartnell as basically a clarkson clone at this point- put him with Giroux and voracek and he may get 50 points while taking a ton of penalties, but it's not like he's a top line player by himself. Honestly I think the flyers just needed a shock to the system- they're not winning a cup anytime soon with their roster and by moving hartnell it puts some guys on notice.

Although that being said I do think the return is a bit underwhelming- I would of thought the flyers would look for (and get) a decent prospect/higher pick instead.

#56 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

u3enegy6.jpg

I remember Bettman stopping and saying to the slightly boisterous crowd, "You're gonna wanna hear this..." :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#57 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

I'm not so sure this is as much a fleecing as some are making it out to be. I see hartnell as basically a clarkson clone at this point- put him with Giroux and voracek and he may get 50 points while taking a ton of penalties, but it's not like he's a top line player by himself. Honestly I think the flyers just needed a shock to the system- they're not winning a cup anytime soon with their roster and by moving hartnell it puts some guys on notice.

Although that being said I do think the return is a bit underwhelming- I would of thought the flyers would look for (and get) a decent prospect/higher pick instead.

He's not paid like a top line player.  He's paid like a 2nd/3rd line guy and that's what he is, and yeah he'll get worse, but Umberger is a much worse player.  Why do Philadelphia players need to be put on notice?  They've traded a top player on their team in 2 of the last 3 offseasons.  If players haven't learned that you can just get traded out of Philadelphia for no real reason, they're kinda thick.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#58 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

The Schneider trade absolutely was a fleecing.  I have no idea what Gillis was thinking.  He could have picked up a decent player or lower end prospect, or a good player for Schneider, but Bo Horvat?  I thought they were trading for the pick to pick up Shinkaruk, and then Shinkaruk drops all the way to the OTHER Vancouver pick.  I do wish Lou kind of zeroed on in that one still or somehow got a chance on him. 

EDIT:  On topic however, I think CBJ wins this one for now.  Think of CBJ's top six with a guy like Hartnell now?  You're looking at a top line with Aktinson-Johansen-Anisimov/Jenner/Calvert (Slot those young guys where-ever you'd like, but THEN they now have a second line, consisting of Hartnell-Dubinsky-Horton.  That is a very difficult second line to play against. 

Edited by RizzMB30, 24 June 2014 - 07:00 PM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#59 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

He's not paid like a top line player. He's paid like a 2nd/3rd line guy and that's what he is, and yeah he'll get worse, but Umberger is a much worse player. Why do Philadelphia players need to be put on notice? They've traded a top player on their team in 2 of the last 3 offseasons. If players haven't learned that you can just get traded out of Philadelphia for no real reason, they're kinda thick.

The forward group is solid, it's the D that terrible. I have no idea why this transpired. It seems that GM's are trying to get out of some of these longer deals. I wonder if they feel the cap is gonna drop a decent amount. How does expansion figure in to revenue if those teams struggle?

I'd take Sharp in here in a heartbeat. Maybe Larsson could get a fresh start in Chicago, although I know they are looking for help at center.

Sharp's skillset and style of play is similar to Selanne and he still could be playing 3rd line minutes his age.

Kane and Toews must be looking to break the bank because they are looking at moving Oduya or Chaaallllmerrsonnnn also.

I can't watch another season with no finishers.

#60 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

The forward group is solid, it's the D that terrible. I have no idea why this transpired. It seems that GM's are trying to get out of some of these longer deals. I wonder if they feel the cap is gonna drop a decent amount. How does expansion figure in to revenue if those teams struggle?

I'd take Sharp in here in a heartbeat. Maybe Larsson could get a fresh start in Chicago, although I know they are looking for help at center.

Sharp's skillset and style of play is similar to Selanne and he still could be playing 3rd line minutes his age.

Kane and Toews must be looking to break the bank because they are looking at moving Oduya or Chaaallllmerrsonnnn also.

I can't watch another season with no finishers.

Don't make me laugh, a fresh start?  He is not someone that strikes me as someone who needs a fresh start, he's 21 for christ sakes and an RFA.  Steve Mason needed a fresh start.  Jason Spezza maybe needs a new start, but a 21-year old still developing defensemen??  No way. 

Colin White was 23 when he broke into the league.  Paul Martin, 23.  There are other examples as well who are not Devils, I guess Hedman from Tampa.

Edited by RizzMB30, 24 June 2014 - 07:13 PM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users