MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

img14323582.jpg
Congrats big guy! Well deserved!

Edited by MadDog2020, 23 June 2014 - 02:16 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#2 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

He goes in with Hasek, Forsberg, Modano, Rob Blake, and Bill McCreary: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455528

#3 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

What a great class, all worthy.

Edited by DJ Eco, 23 June 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#4 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,888 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

Well deserved honor. Wish he could've lived to see it

That said, Rob Blake is not a hall of famer

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#5 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

They got Pat Burns right...a few years too late.

I don't get the group at all. Hasek absolutely. I get Mike Modano was a standout US hockey player, but he did not have a better career than Recchi. Lindros not getting in is a shame. The committee put Pavel Bure in two years. By not putting in Lindros, they continue to say that Bure was a better player. That's fvcking ridiculous.

Blake...seems a bit odd.

Edited by devilsrule33, 23 June 2014 - 02:48 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#6 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

Long overdue. Congratulations 

#7 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

DR: Bobby Clarke was added to the selection committee this year. I'm sure he had his say on Lindros.

Edited by MadDog2020, 23 June 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#8 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

Bout damn time.

Really a shame they wouldn't bend the rules to get him in while he was still around.

Still a great honor for him and his family though.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#9 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

For the record, I agree with you guys- Blake isn't a HOF'er. Recchi should've been in this year.

#10 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

I don't get the group at all. Hasek absolutely. I get Mike Modano was a standout US hockey player, but he did not have a better career than Recchi. Lindros not getting in is a shame. The committee put Pavel Bure in two years. By not putting in Lindros, they continue to say that Bure was a better player. That's fvcking ridiculous.

Blake...seems a bit odd.

Did Bure go in in his first year of eligibility? I don't remember and I'm not sure where to find that info, but I think the lack of games played was an issue for both of them.

Lindros is the second highest ranked point per game retired player not in the HOF, so I think his time will come eventually.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#11 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

Blake...seems a bit odd.

Modano is better than Recchi.  Who did Modano play with?  A past his prime Brett Hull and a gaggle of other solid players but no standouts.  Who did Recchi play with?  Lemieux or Francis, Lindros, Koivu, etc. - Recchi was a real good player and a deserving HOFer, but he played with a lot of tremendous supporting casts - Modano really didn't.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#12 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

Modano had over 1,300 points. Its not even a question.

#13 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

I don't get the group at all. Hasek absolutely. I get Mike Modano was a standout US hockey player, but he did not have a better career than Recchi. Lindros not getting in is a shame. The committee put Pavel Bure in two years. By not putting in Lindros, they are saying that Bure was a better player. That's fvcking ridiculous.

Blake...seems a bit odd.

Bure and Lindros were obviously very different players.  I wouldn't put either one in myself (and that's not to knock them), but I don't think you can put guys like Bure and Neely in and not Lindros.  I'm guessing Bure got in because he put up big fat goal totals five times (60, 60, 59, 58, and 51).  He's also third in goals-per-game average in the top 100 goal-scorers in history of the NHL at .623.  Took him six years to get in BTW. 

Lindros probably doesn't get in until voters take into account the number of years he played in the Dead Puck Era, and his Flyers numbers are pretty sick:  486 games, 290 goals, 369 assists, 659 points.  That equates to 49 goals and 62 assists per 82 games, and the guy was a wrecking ball during many of his Flyer years.  He was also a +215 in 760 career games.  One thing that can't be disputed is, when he was healthy and before the concussions, he was clearly a Hall-Of-Fame talent.  The big question is was he a Hall-Of-Fame talent long enough?  There's just a smidge of "could've been" with Lindros (it's too bad he had so many health issues), even though the numbers he did up were pretty damned terrific.         

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 23 June 2014 - 03:11 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#14 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

Modano had over 1,300 points. Its not even a question.

Modano is a HHOF for sure. It isn't a question. It just seemed that it was obvious that Modano was a lock all along when Recchi was rarely talked about. You can see some of these picks a mile away (not Blake). It be nice if there was some transparency from this secret little group of hockey experts that meet. Baseball has done that much at least.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#15 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Bure and Lindros were obviously very different players.  I wouldn't put either one in myself (and that's not to knock them), but I don't think you can put guys like Bure and Neely in and not Lindros.  I'm guessing Bure got in because he put up big fat goal totals five times (60, 60, 59, 58, and 51).  He's also third in goals-per-game average in the top 100 goal-scorers in history of the NHL at .623.  Took him six years to get in BTW. 

Lindros probably doesn't get in until voters take into account the number of years he played in the Dead Puck Era, and his Flyers numbers are pretty sick:  486 games, 290 goals, 369 assists, 659 points.  That equates to 49 goals and 62 assists per 82 games, and the guy was a wrecking ball during many of his Flyer years.  He was also a +215 in 760 career games.  One thing that can't be disputed is, when he was healthy and before the concussions, he was clearly a Hall-Of-Fame talent.  The big question is was he a Hall-Of-Fame talent long enough?  There's just a smidge of "could've been" with Lindros (it's too bad he had so many health issues), even though the numbers he did up were pretty damned terrific.         

I posted it before, but I think that Lindros still ranked 19th all time in points per game while playing in the dead puck era AND having his concussion problems will push him in.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#16 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

Modano is a HHOF for sure. It isn't a question. It just seemed that it was obvious that Modano was a lock all along when Recchi was rarely talked about. You can see some of these picks a mile away (not Blake). It be nice if there was some transparency from this secret little group of hockey experts that meet. Baseball has done that much at least.

Clarke was on NHL Live last week and they were discussing how he joined the selection committee this year... when EJ Hradek asked him if he thought Lindros was a HOF'er, Clarke said 'that's not something I feel I should discuss publicly.' Do with that what you will...

#17 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

Congrats to Coach Burns!  A well deserved and overdue honor that he should have been afforded the opportunity to see before he died. 

Posted Image

#18 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Re:  Recchi, what may hurt him a little is that he was traded twice and the teams that traded him away were better for it:  the Penguins (Rick Tocchet fit that team better at that point), and the Flyers (they got back John LeClair, Eric Desjardins, and Gilbert Dionne).   

In a lot of ways, Recchi is the ultimate compiler who, like Tri says, benefitted from playing with some nice casts.  He was durable as hell (4th all-time with 1652 GP in the regular season), and that allowed him to finish with a lot of points (1533, 12th all-time).  When you look at his individual years though, there really aren't many that scream "Hall of Fame".  There's something to be said for being solidly good for a ridiculously long period of time, and he does have three rings...just don't know if the terrific compiler-guy should be a lock to get in. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#19 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

Re:  Recchi, what may hurt him a little is that he was traded twice and the teams that traded him away were better for it:  the Penguins (Rick Tocchet fit that team better at that point), and the Flyers (they got back John LeClair, Eric Desjardins, and Gilbert Dionne).   

In a lot of ways, Recchi is the ultimate compiler who, like Tri says, benefitted from playing with some nice casts.  He was durable as hell (4th all-time with 1652 GP in the regular season), and that allowed him to finish with a lot of points (1533, 12th all-time).  When you look at his individual years though, there really aren't many that scream "Hall of Fame".  There's something to be said for being solidly good for a ridiculously long period of time, and he does have three rings...just don't know if the terrific compiler-guy should be a lock to get in. 

You are selling Recchi way too short. He played a ton of games, but I am not thinking compiler like Andreychuk. You could just as easily say the same thing about Modano in the sense that nothing stands out. Recchi did finish top 5 in scoring in 3 of his seasons. 

I'm not the captain of the Mark Recchi fan club or anything, but he seemed like a guy that could have gone in this year. No biggie.

Edited by devilsrule33, 23 June 2014 - 04:08 PM.

logokx.jpg

#20 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

Congrats to Pat Burns. Should've been in 2010. A post on Burns and the HHOF.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users