94 replies to this topic

#21 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, so that contract ends when Sharp is 35 years and 6.5 months old - Brian Rolston's UFA contract with the Devils had him playing his first game with NJ at 35 years and 7.5 months old.

Rolston aside, do you think it would be a particularly good idea to spend 5 mil per season on Patrick Sharp?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#22 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Rolston aside, do you think it would be a particularly good idea to spend 5 mil per season on Patrick Sharp?

I'd love if it NJ could get Patrick Sharp for free at that number and duration.  Obviously, at least to me, they don't have the pieces for a trade and a trade would be too pricey, but sure, if he could just be signed at that number? Absolutely.  Wait until July 1 and see what people end up signing for.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#23 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

The crazy thing about Chicago is that they really don't have any reason to deal Sharp for prospects - they have young D and forwards coming up. They're really best served dealing Sharp for a high 1st in this year's draft and calling it a day.

There's rumors that Pitt wants to deal their pick in a package for a forward but it's obviously not a real high pick. There's a few teams that are in the top 10 to 15 picks willing to move their 1st rounders for players.

Sharp is good but I don't think he'll be his Blackhawks level on a new team unless it's got a comparable center like Kane or Toews to pair with him, hence the potential for the deal to be risky for whoever acquires him.

And no I would not move Merrill or Larsson for him at all.

Sharp got really streaky this season and at one point was on a pretty significant cold drought.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#24 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

You're not talking about this year's pick.

I see that, but Hemsky brought a 3rd and I would prefer him to Sharp.

You gave up a third for 25 games of Hemsky. Sharp is probably a better player too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's rumors that Pitt wants to deal their pick in a package for a forward but it's obviously not a real high pick. There's a few teams that are in the top 10 to 15 picks willing to move their 1st rounders for players.

Sharp is good but I don't think he'll be his Blackhawks level on a new team unless it's got a comparable center like Kane or Toews to pair with him, hence the potential for the deal to be risky for whoever acquires him.

And no I would not move Merrill or Larsson for him at all.

Sharp got really streaky this season and at one point was on a pretty significant cold drought.

The price also drops if he's a cap casualty. He also has a limited NMC, not sure of the terms though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#25 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

If I'm talking trade with anyone it's Edmonton. Supposedly Craig MacTavish is looking for a 3rd rounder and a D man. We could do that for Gagner.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#26 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Pass.

As others have said, perfect complimentary piece. Bring him here expecting him to lead the offense, and I see him only scoring 20-something.

He's a mildly better version of Ryder with some better skating and passing, but with more on contract length. We'd have to get rid of Ryder if we looked to bring in Sharp.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#27 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

If I'm talking trade with anyone it's Edmonton. Supposedly Craig MacTavish is looking for a 3rd rounder and a D man. We could do that for Gagner.

so true.  i'd do that trade in a heartbeat. still costing us $5mill/year but he's 24 years old.  PLUS who knows which Dman we could get rid of.. could end up not costing much at all

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#28 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

I don't think that you can get a 1st rounder for Sharp.  Hossa, yes, any of that Chicago core, probably a first and more.  If a 1st rounder is going to Chicago, it should be a straight up pick for player trade.  I honestly don't think there will be much interest, but this makes things interesting if Vancouver would do a Kesler for Sharp swap.  I have a feeling that Chicago is going to completely fleece someone for him.  Could you see Vancouver giving up Kesler and a 2nd for Sharp? Or just Kesler + more.  Sharp is a great piece for them to be dealing right now and I agree, this is the best time for Chicago to grab a top center to play behind Toews. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#29 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

btw, Sharp isn't just making 5million.  cap hit would be 5.9mill  (capgeek)

http://capgeek.com/player/251

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#30 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, so that contract ends when Sharp is 35 years and 6.5 months old - Brian Rolston's UFA contract with the Devils had him playing his first game with NJ at 35 years and 7.5 months old.

To Rolston's credit, he scored 30+ goals up to that contract. It just fell apart the moment he came to NJ. Sharp will get paid again when he is a free agent and probably disappoint a new team immediately. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#31 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

I don't think that you can get a 1st rounder for Sharp. Hossa, yes, any of that Chicago core, probably a first and more. If a 1st rounder is going to Chicago, it should be a straight up pick for player trade. I honestly don't think there will be much interest, but this makes things interesting if Vancouver would do a Kesler for Sharp swap. I have a feeling that Chicago is going to completely fleece someone for him. Could you see Vancouver giving up Kesler and a 2nd for Sharp? Or just Kesler + more. Sharp is a great piece for them to be dealing right now and I agree, this is the best time for Chicago to grab a top center to play behind Toews.

Nobody is giving up a 1st for an aging and declining Hossa who carries some cap hit baggage. Teams aren't stupid to the point that they don't recognize that some of these guys "shiny" complexion is due to the sum of them together.

#32 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

To Rolston's credit, he scored 30+ goals up to that contract. It just fell apart the moment he came to NJ. Sharp will get paid again when he is a free agent and probably disappoint a new team immediately. 

Rolston's production dropped when he came to NJ. I expect the same from Sharp unless he goes to another top tier team.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#33 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

so true. i'd do that trade in a heartbeat. still costing us $5mill/year but he's 24 years old. PLUS who knows which Dman we could get rid of.. could end up not costing much at all

We'd have to send some salary back at least for next year. Perhaps Brunner or Ryder. I'd love to fawn Salvador off on them but doubt they do that or Lou even invites that idea.

#34 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Nobody is giving up a 1st for an aging and declining Hossa who carries some cap hit baggage. Teams aren't stupid to the point that they don't recognize that some of these guys "shiny" complexion is due to the sum of them together.

I'd give up a 1st in a second for Hossa.  He is one of the top wingers in the league.

#35 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

I'd give up a 1st in a second for Hossa.  He is one of the top wingers in the league.

I probably would too if we didn't desperately need young forwards.  He remains an elite 2-way player, granted he may only have a few years left of great offensive production.   Players who can play both sides of the puck are bound to have long careers as long as they can maintain decent foot speed and can remain healthy, see Patrik Elias.  But as a lowly armchair GM, there's no way I'm giving up anything more than just a first for him.  No Merril, No Larsson. 

See my above statements.  The cap hit is a bitch, but as long as he is still producing the cap hit is worth it. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#36 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

I'd give up a 1st in a second for Hossa. He is one of the top wingers in the league.

I didn't mean our first. I was referring to a top 5 or 10 pick. He's on the decline for sure. He is a top winger because he is playing on a stacked team with two terrific centers. We are not a contender.

#37 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

I didn't mean our first. I was referring to a top 5 or 10 pick. He's on the decline for sure. He is a top winger because he is playing on a stacked team with two terrific centers. We are not a contender.

The Hawks do not have 'two terrific centers'.  They have one.  They have a giant hole on their 2nd line that they have filled with a lot of garbage.  They're not using Patrick Sharp as a center.

Where is the evidence that Hossa is on the decline?  He's a fabulous player, one of the smartest players in the league, and he'll be good for several years yet.  Contenders don't have top 5 or 10 picks very often by the way.

#38 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

Hossa isn't on the decline at all.

#39 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

Hossa has hip issues doesn't he?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#40 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil