#41 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Yayo + our 1st this year.

We aren't allowed to trade our 1st this year.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#42 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

We aren't allowed to trade our 1st this year.

oh, I thought we just weren't allowed to move up with it. Wishful thinking then

#43 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

oh, I thought we just weren't allowed to move up with it. Wishful thinking then

Yayo isn't signed either.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#44 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

Hossa has hip issues doesn't he?

Yes. There was talk of him considering retirement soon as well.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#45 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

The Hawks do not have 'two terrific centers'. They have one. They have a giant hole on their 2nd line that they have filled with a lot of garbage. They're not using Patrick Sharp as a center.

Where is the evidence that Hossa is on the decline? He's a fabulous player, one of the smartest players in the league, and he'll be good for several years yet. Contenders don't have top 5 or 10 picks very often by the way.

My comment about the contender was in regards to us. We have no business really wedding an aging Hossa to this old group of forwards. We already have a Hossa esque player in Elias. At best Hossa makes us a fringe playoff team and then we suffer his recapture when his hip blows out or he retires which is probably only a year or two away.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#46 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

My comment about the contender was in regards to us. We have no business really wedding an aging Hossa to this old group of forwards. We already have a Hossa esque player in Elias. At best Hossa makes us a fringe playoff team and then we suffer his recapture when his hip blows out or he retires which is probably only a year or two away.

Again, nuts - if you could add Hossa to this team without subtracting anyone it's clearly a playoff team.  Recapture would not be suffered if he blew out his hip because he wouldn't retire until the end of his contract.  And there is absolutely no evidence that Hossa is a year away from retirement but I expect to see the same sources I saw regarding Elias playing wing vs. center cited when it comes to Hossa retiring.  Plus his recapture, if traded, would be minimal - Hossa has 2 years left where he is a combined 5.4M over his cap hit, but then his subsequent year is 1.2M below it - his recapture for the Devils if he retired after that would be 4.2M spread over 3 years, aka almost nothing.

Here's an article titled Hossa thinks of retiring, which is about the very opposite:  http://articles.chic...ssing-room-guys

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#47 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

Again, nuts - if you could add Hossa to this team without subtracting anyone it's clearly a playoff team.  Recapture would not be suffered if he blew out his hip because he wouldn't retire until the end of his contract.  And there is absolutely no evidence that Hossa is a year away from retirement but I expect to see the same sources I saw regarding Elias playing wing vs. center cited when it comes to Hossa retiring.  Plus his recapture, if traded, would be minimal - Hossa has 2 years left where he is a combined 5.4M over his cap hit, but then his subsequent year is 1.2M below it - his recapture for the Devils if he retired after that would be 4.2M spread over 3 years, aka almost nothing.

Here's an article titled Hossa thinks of retiring, which is about the very opposite:  http://articles.chic...ssing-room-guys

I think Hossa has a lot of talent left in the tank, but unfortunately, no, just no. Hossa hasn't played a full 82 game season since Atlanta. We'd have to trade something significant for him and when he undoubtedly gets injured we're going to see more Tim Sestitos in the lineup. Too much risk involved. It may still be possible for old men to win an NBA championship, but that hasn't worked in hockey since 1967.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#48 PuckDon't Lie

PuckDon't Lie

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:10 PM

I think Hossa has a lot of talent left in the tank, but unfortunately, no, just no. Hossa hasn't played a full 82 game season since Atlanta. We'd have to trade something significant for him and when he undoubtedly gets injured we're going to see more Tim Sestitos in the lineup. Too much risk involved. It may still be possible for old men to win an NBA championship, but that hasn't worked in hockey since 1967.

The Red Wings of the 2000s were some of the oldest teams ever put together, and did some serious damage; they won the Presidents' Trophy 4 times and the Cup twice. In fact, the two times the Wings won the the cup, they were the oldest team in the league.

#49 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:11 PM

The Red Wings of the 2000s were some of the oldest teams ever put together, and did some serious damage; they won the Presidents' Trophy 4 times and the Cup twice. In fact, the two times the Wings won the the cup, they were the oldest team in the league.

They were also stacked from top to bottom with high end talent. Those old guys were some of the best in the game.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#50 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:49 AM

Yayo isn't signed either.

I think he'd sign with CHI if you moved his rights there. His best buddy (Kruger) is there and everything.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#51 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:29 AM

Again, nuts - if you could add Hossa to this team without subtracting anyone it's clearly a playoff team. Recapture would not be suffered if he blew out his hip because he wouldn't retire until the end of his contract. And there is absolutely no evidence that Hossa is a year away from retirement but I expect to see the same sources I saw regarding Elias playing wing vs. center cited when it comes to Hossa retiring. Plus his recapture, if traded, would be minimal - Hossa has 2 years left where he is a combined 5.4M over his cap hit, but then his subsequent year is 1.2M below it - his recapture for the Devils if he retired after that would be 4.2M spread over 3 years, aka almost nothing.

Here's an article titled Hossa thinks of retiring, which is about the very opposite: http://articles.chic...ssing-room-guys

Moot since he's never coming here. You and I I just have to recognize we will never agree on anything.

#52 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

everyone has been saying they wouldnt be interested in him due to his age..

Lou would be particularly interested in him due to his age

www.SterioDesign.com

#53 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:17 AM

Moot since he's never coming here. You and I I just have to recognize we will never agree on anything.

Disagree all you want.  But this team is not as far away from being a playoff team as people like to like.  Even with the abysmal goal scoring.  Win half of those shootouts and we had very likely chance to make it.  We could definitely use a scoring forward and get rid of dead weight, but we are not far.  That being said, we aren't a contender and we really have been a contender since Parise bailed out.  But playoffs team? I think we are.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#54 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

Disagree all you want. But this team is not as far away from being a playoff team as people like to like. Even with the abysmal goal scoring. Win half of those shootouts and we had very likely chance to make it. We could definitely use a scoring forward and get rid of dead weight, but we are not far. That being said, we aren't a contender and we really have been a contender since Parise bailed out. But playoffs team? I think we are.

You can say that about every other team in the NHL except for maybe three or four. It's so subjective. We have some trouble spots and we have a roster that is really in transition with some risk on the top lines. I don't think we are a playoff team this year even with Schneider at full bore. But I know the sunshine brigade on here will disagree.

#55 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

You can say that about every other team in the NHL except for maybe three or four. It's so subjective. We have some trouble spots and we have a roster that is really in transition with some risk on the top lines. I don't think we are a playoff team this year even with Schneider at full bore. But I know the sunshine brigade on here will disagree.

You're ignoring the question.  Are the Devils in the playoffs or not if they win half of their shootouts? In or out?  They would be in, therefore, are a playoff team.  The sunshine brigade made me lol, but you guys who have stock options in Doom & Despair inc. look for any reason to say the team sucks.  The only "trouble spot" are the forwards in terms of depth and high level skill.  The defense looks very bright it terms of young talent and the goaltending position will be very solid if we get Cory re-signed before the summer is over.  Think about how abysmal the offense was last year outside of Henrique, Jagr, Elias, Zajac and we STILL almost got in and didn't because of the fvcking coin flip that we all call a shootout. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#56 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

You're ignoring the question. Are the Devils in the playoffs or not if they win half of their shootouts? In or out? They would be in, therefore, are a playoff team. The sunshine brigade made me lol, but you guys who have stock options in Doom & Despair inc. look for any reason to say the team sucks. The only "trouble spot" are the forwards in terms of depth and high level skill. The defense looks very bright it terms of young talent and the goaltending position will be very solid if we get Cory re-signed before the summer is over. Think about how abysmal the offense was last year outside of Henrique, Jagr, Elias, Zajac and we STILL almost got in and didn't because of the fvcking coin flip that we all call a shootout.

Did they miss the playoffs? It's as simple as that. No further analysis is required. You are either a playoff team or not. You can look at the what it's til kingdoms come but that is what non playoff teams and fanbases do.

Next year we could win 10 shootouts and still miss the playoffs because something else which went right this year goes wrong which results in more losses or our division becomes better resulting in a higher margin required for playoff qualifying.

#57 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

You're ignoring the question.  Are the Devils in the playoffs or not if they win half of their shootouts? In or out?  They would be in, therefore, are a playoff team.  The sunshine brigade made me lol, but you guys who have stock options in Doom & Despair inc. look for any reason to say the team sucks.  The only "trouble spot" are the forwards in terms of depth and high level skill.  The defense looks very bright it terms of young talent and the goaltending position will be very solid if we get Cory re-signed before the summer is over.  Think about how abysmal the offense was last year outside of Henrique, Jagr, Elias, Zajac and we STILL almost got in and didn't because of the fvcking coin flip that we all call a shootout. 

Yes but where does that "setup" led Nashville lately for example? They had crazy goaltending and had 2 of the top dmen in the league and a decent Dcorp and they never really accomplished anything. Why? not enough firepower to get it done

www.SterioDesign.com

#58 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

Yes but where does that "setup" led Nashville lately for example? They had crazy goaltending and had 2 of the top dmen in the league and a decent Dcorp and they never really accomplished anything. Why? not enough firepower to get it done

It's actually in part because those defensemen weren't that good.  Both are overrated.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#59 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

It's actually in part because those defensemen weren't that good. Both are overrated.

I agree they are a bit overhyped.

But part of the issue with the Preds is that they were constantly getting hemmed in their own zone and outshot. Hence why Trotz got canned and they are going to a new style under Lavy. They'll be better this coming season for sure.

#60 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

It's actually in part because those defensemen weren't that good.  Both are overrated.

Our prospects are already overrated by the fans too. and i'd be really surprise if any of our youngsters become better than Sutter or Weber. 

Well that was not the point either. The forwards we're not skilled and scoring enough.

Lou seems  to always want to get the average guy who does everything good but not great. which you know its fine. You need those kind of guys to play in a system like NJ. But what do you get from that? a team playing "well" controlling the play and not making many mistakes so you feel they dominate the game... but can't score to save their lives cause they dont have enough skills. Pretty hard to argue that this is not what we saw last few years

Edited by SterioDesign, 25 June 2014 - 01:31 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users