2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider:

Kings, Gaborik agree on a seven-year contract extension.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun:

I believe that Gaborik's 7-yr deal is worth around $4.9 M or $5 M a year. I am working to confirm.

Gaborik for 5M a year?!?!?!? are you kidding me? no way

Gaborik for 5M a year?!?!?!? are you kidding me? no way

The trade off was the length for a guy whose best years are behind him and has had a lot of injuries.  I like it though, their window for them to win more cups still has several more years to it and they are locking up all the important pieces.  Besides, in 7 years the average 3rd liner will probably make 5 million anyway.     

Edited by Lateralous

Kings are a win now team. They will eventually have a lot of dead cap at some point with some of these deals as these guys fade a big but that won't happen for a few more years from now at least.

I wonder if they lock Justin Williams up to an extension. He won't be cheap.

The trade off was the length for a guy whose best years are behind him and has had a lot of injuries. I like it though, their window for them to win more cups still has several more years to it and they are locking up all the important pieces. Besides, in 7 years the average 3rd liner will probably make 5 million anyway.

That and he gets enough security where they appreciate him and won't throw him out like trash the way the Rangers AND Columbus did.

Edited by NJDevs4978

They gave Gabby more years and he in turn took less money.  That's what a lot of players do after winning a Cup somewhere and have a loyalty and a dedication to one team.  I think its a fair trade off.  With that low of a hit, it gives the Kings options if his play goes to sh!t.  They can buy him out, he can retire, or they could even trade him if he still has value there.

@NYP_Brooksie: Informed source reports that Rangers have NOT inquired about impending UFA Stastny. Don't have the cap space to be bidder in auction. #NYR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good good. Also, there's a rumor out there about Sharp and the 24th pick going to Vancouver for Kesler.

@NYP_Brooksie: Informed source reports that Rangers have NOT inquired about impending UFA Stastny. Don't have the cap space to be bidder in auction. #NYR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha basically the other previous reporters only reported that the Rags inquired about Stastny because everyone expected them too.

Trader Sather is a genius

Signer Sather is a predictable idiot.

Haha basically the other previous reporters only reported that the Rags inquired about Stastny because everyone expected them too.

Trader Sather is a genius

Signer Sather is a predictable idiot.

Well it's always Pitt, NYR, CHI, LAK in the mix during these periods. Notice that DET has been replaced by MIN. It's all patterns, Man

I can't imagine how bad free agency would've been last year had I known that NJ was talking to Clowe for 5 days

what a mistake thats going to end up having been for us.. that contract is a bomb waiting to happen .. his health is only going to continue to decline

what a mistake thats going to end up having been for us.. that contract is a bomb waiting to happen .. his health is only going to continue to decline

If he can't play, you Pronger him on LTIR. Done. Yet another thing people are blowing out of proportion in an effort to make it sound like the Devils are the fvcking Islanders.

It's a $4.85m AAV. Even in the worst case scenario involving Clowe's health moving forward, it's really not "a bomb". Look around the league if you want to see some real turmoil-contracts waiting to happen, they're everywhere. Clowe's will be a minor bump in the road at most.

It's a $4.85m AAV. Even in the worst case scenario involving Clowe's health moving forward, it's really not "a bomb". Look around the league if you want to see some real turmoil-contracts waiting to happen, they're everywhere. Clowe's will be a minor bump in the road at most.

No, Clowe's contract is very clearly one of the worst in the league.  It's not clear yet that he's even a good player when healthy.

No, Clowe's contract is very clearly one of the worst in the league.  It's not clear yet that he's even a good player when healthy.

Bingo. Even when healthy, he looked slow as sh!t. He has 10 goals in his last 83 games and might be declining further. He's no longer playing with Thornton or Marleau. I can't imagine him being able to stay concussion free for an extended period of time.

It be smart if the organization told him to stop fighting all together. It's not admirable. It's not brave. It's stupid.

I don't know what the fancy stats say, but he was a .6 ppg player last season, which is the same as Zajac.  From the eyeball test he seems to fit in well with a puck possession strategy. 

You can argue over the adjective, but he's definitely a useful player if he can stay healthy.  If he can't there's cap relief, so I can't go too nuts over his deal.

This is interesting:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 5m

It's believed Kane-Toews initial ask of CHI on extension is around $12M/yr each. They'll end up lower but still could be $10M+ AAV players.

With some rough math, if they each get anything close to that, I really think Chicago will be left with no choice but to unload one or two relatively big contracts, one of them being Hossa.  Next year that would bring them to a cap total of something like $70 million with only twelve roster spots filled, with Saad probably getting a nice pay bump, and Teraveinen not far behind.

Like the Devils defensive logjam, something's gotta give.