900 replies to this topic

#41 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

some news starting to break out about other teams doing this and that and talking to this one and that one.. and as usual were all over here wondering if anything is being done with our team.. devil fan problems
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#42 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,069 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Yeah I know, its horrible. Being a Devils fan really sucks. Lou never does anything. Worst GM ever.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#43 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

word
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

I can't imagine how bad free agency would've been last year had I known that NJ was talking to Clowe for 5 days

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

I can't imagine how bad free agency would've been last year had I known that NJ was talking to Clowe for 5 days

what a mistake thats going to end up having been for us.. that contract is a bomb waiting to happen .. his health is only going to continue to decline
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#46 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,069 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

what a mistake thats going to end up having been for us.. that contract is a bomb waiting to happen .. his health is only going to continue to decline

If he can't play, you Pronger him on LTIR. Done. Yet another thing people are blowing out of proportion in an effort to make it sound like the Devils are the fvcking Islanders.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#47 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

It's a $4.85m AAV. Even in the worst case scenario involving Clowe's health moving forward, it's really not "a bomb". Look around the league if you want to see some real turmoil-contracts waiting to happen, they're everywhere. Clowe's will be a minor bump in the road at most.

#48 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

It's a $4.85m AAV. Even in the worst case scenario involving Clowe's health moving forward, it's really not "a bomb". Look around the league if you want to see some real turmoil-contracts waiting to happen, they're everywhere. Clowe's will be a minor bump in the road at most.

No, Clowe's contract is very clearly one of the worst in the league.  It's not clear yet that he's even a good player when healthy.

#49 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,010 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

No, Clowe's contract is very clearly one of the worst in the league.  It's not clear yet that he's even a good player when healthy.

Bingo. Even when healthy, he looked slow as sh!t. He has 10 goals in his last 83 games and might be declining further. He's no longer playing with Thornton or Marleau. I can't imagine him being able to stay concussion free for an extended period of time.

It be smart if the organization told him to stop fighting all together. It's not admirable. It's not brave. It's stupid.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#50 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

I don't know what the fancy stats say, but he was a .6 ppg player last season, which is the same as Zajac.  From the eyeball test he seems to fit in well with a puck possession strategy. 

You can argue over the adjective, but he's definitely a useful player if he can stay healthy.  If he can't there's cap relief, so I can't go too nuts over his deal.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#51 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

This is interesting:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 5m

It's believed Kane-Toews initial ask of CHI on extension is around $12M/yr each. They'll end up lower but still could be $10M+ AAV players.

With some rough math, if they each get anything close to that, I really think Chicago will be left with no choice but to unload one or two relatively big contracts, one of them being Hossa.  Next year that would bring them to a cap total of something like $70 million with only twelve roster spots filled, with Saad probably getting a nice pay bump, and Teraveinen not far behind.

Like the Devils defensive logjam, something's gotta give.   

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#52 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

I don't know what the fancy stats say, but he was a .6 ppg player last season, which is the same as Zajac.  From the eyeball test he seems to fit in well with a puck possession strategy. 

You can argue over the adjective, but he's definitely a useful player if he can stay healthy.  If he can't there's cap relief, so I can't go too nuts over his deal.

He does fit in with the puck possession strategy provided he plays.  However, he's got a huge red mark there.  His missed half the season and one has to wonder if that PPG stat would have been diluted.  Players who can't be counted on to stay healthy aren't really useful, especially when they do account for a significant cap hit.

There's a cost in having him on his contract even if you think you can LTIR him.  People keep harping over cap relief, but those are real dollars we account for internally.  Just because we get cap relief, doesn't mean we then have the real dollars to spend on a replacement.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#53 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

He does fit in with the puck possession strategy provided he plays.  However, he's got a huge red mark there.  His missed half the season and one has to wonder if that PPG stat would have been diluted.  Players who can't be counted on to stay healthy aren't really useful, especially when they do account for a significant cap hit.

There's a cost in having him on his contract even if you think you can LTIR him.  People keep harping over cap relief, but those are real dollars we account for internally.  Just because we get cap relief, doesn't mean we then have the real dollars to spend on a replacement.

It seems to me that financially the team is in good shape.  While the new owners probably haven't written a blank check, I don't think the real dollars that are being paid to Clowe are the difference between making specific moves and not making them.  I'd imagine insurance would defray a large chunk of his salary too.

Posted Image

#54 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

This is interesting:

With some rough math, if they each get anything close to that, I really think Chicago will be left with no choice but to unload one or two relatively big contracts, one of them being Hossa.  Next year that would bring them to a cap total of something like $70 million with only twelve roster spots filled, with Saad probably getting a nice pay bump, and Teraveinen not far behind.

Like the Devils defensive logjam, something's gotta give.   

Their first attempt will be to try and unload Bickell and perhaps Hjalmarsson, however I don't see teams rushing to the aid of Bowman and Co.  But yes, Hossa might be on the line due to some of the other deals they might have to give out.  Keep in mind Nick Leddy is due for a new deal after this coming season too.  Moving Oduya only buys them some breathing room for this year.  Such is life of a contender.  Success comes with it's costs and good players will demand that.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#55 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

It seems to me that financially the team is in good shape.  While the new owners probably haven't written a blank check, I don't think the real dollars that are being paid to Clowe are the difference between making specific moves and not making them.  I'd imagine insurance would defray a large chunk of his salary too.

Did that get confirmed however that we have insurance on the Clowe deal?  I knew there was some debate.  Doubt Gulitti knows.

Either way I didn't like the signing after Clarkson saved us from ourselves but hoped it would work out reasonably well.  I'm not expecting roses the latter year or two, but I hope we can get through the next couple years with reasonable production.

Financially we're not in terrible shape like we were under VBK, but we're not out of the woods by any means in terms of getting some stability going forward.

#56 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

Their first attempt will be to try and unload Bickell and perhaps Hjalmarsson, however I don't see teams rushing to the aid of Bowman and Co.  But yes, Hossa might be on the line due to some of the other deals they might have to give out.  Keep in mind Nick Leddy is due for a new deal after this coming season too.  Moving Oduya only buys them some breathing room for this year.  Such is life of a contender.  Success comes with it's costs and good players will demand that.

Bickell and Hjlamarsson both have no movement clauses of some sort, Hossa does not.  Plus if they dump Hlmarsson that's another defensive slot that needs to be filled with Seabrook approaching the end of his deal. 

Just for sh!ts and giggles, let's do Matteau, Severson and a pick for Hossa.  Who knows, maybe you can drive the price down even further as Chicago gets more desperate. 

Posted Image

#57 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

Bickell and Hjlamarsson both have no movement clauses of some sort, Hossa does not.  Plus if they dump Hlmarsson that's another defensive slot that needs to be filled with Seabrook approaching the end of his deal. 

Just for sh!ts and giggles, let's do Matteau, Severson and a pick for Hossa.  Who knows, maybe you can drive the price down even further as Chicago gets more desperate. 

I think Hossa has a NTC.

#58 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

I think Hossa has a NTC.

Not according to capgeek.

Posted Image

#59 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

well then what could happen is that buddy is on LTIR... we have some cap room... but what can you do with it during the season? cant sign a guy... then trade to get a guys who can fit his salary in our grid but then what when Clowe is ready to be back? we've seen sh!t like that happen already when Elias came back and Lou had a stupid mess on his hands and the players we're not liking the situation. 

The same kind of sh!t kept Larsson in the AHL last season too. you get too many average guys then when everyone is healthy youre in a bad spot

www.SterioDesign.com

#60 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

They're ugly.  From the eyeball test he does fit into the strategy - when he manages to get into the offensive zone.  Outside of there, he's a disaster, and is unable to work the puck out of his zone with any consistency.

Anyway once again another thread has gotten off-track, but I doubt we hear much about contracts being signed today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users